In this webinar, Eric Rousselle will introduce OBF’s new feature: standalone signed badges issued in PDF format. PDF badges are forgery-proof digital certificates that can be easily displayed without using a display platform.
An Open Badge in a PDF format
What is a PDF badge?
• A PDF badge is a standard Open Badge baked in a PDF format
• A PDF badge is not replacing “a traditional” badge (badge baked in a
PNG or SVG format), the badge is delivered by OBF in two formats: PDF
• The badge earner can benefit from the advantages of both formats
• PDF badges can be issued by OBF PRO-level customers
Why generating a PDF badge?
• A PDF badge is a standalone Open Badge
• A PDF badge is truly portable. The badge earner does not need an
account in a badge backpack or Passport to be able to use it (displaying
• A PDF badge is convenient for badge issuers, who need to issue badges
as digital certificates.
• A PDF badge can be validated. Any user of the badge can verify that the
PDF has not been modified and that the badge has not expired.
When you get a badge, you’ll receive
a notification email message.
By clicking “Get your badge” you are
able to save your badge in Open
Badge Passport, if you have an
account, or to download it as a
If the badge has been issued by a
PRO-level customer you can also
download it as a PDF badge
This the default template
for a PDF badge.
In the future, it will be
possible for customers to
purchase their own
Names of the recipients added to the email addresses
• Possibility to switch off the PDF option
• Recipient’s email address is not displayed if the recipient name is
• A validator in several language versions
• A QR code for the validation of a printed badge
If a badge is issued as a PDF and the badge earner uses Open Badge
Passport or a dedicated Passport:
- The badge earner will be able to add evidence and collect
endorsement to his badge
- To send his badge back to its issuer
- After evaluation, the badge issuer will be able to generate and issue a
new version of the badge containing evidence and endorsements
provided by the badge earner