Originally founded in 1969 to deliver documents between San Francisco and Honolulu,
the company expanded its service throughout the world by the late 1970s.
DHL Express is a division of Deutsche Post providing international express mail
Its supply chain business has been built largely on acquisitions which have included
such names as Danzas, AEI, Airborne, ASG, Nedlloyd and most importantly Exel.
On 14 December 2005 Deutsche Post announced the completion of the acquisition
of Exel plc, becoming the global No. 1 in air freight.
When integrating Exel into its Logistics division, it added its well-known DHL brand
acquired with the purchase of DHL Express to form the name DHL Exel Supply Chain.
During 2009, Deutsche Post AG rebranded its trading name from "Deutsche Post World
Net" to "Deutsche Post DHL" and subsequently dropped "Exel" from the Supply Chain
• DHL began operations in 1983, had revenues of Rs. 287
crores in 2001-02 and services 13,000 locations in India.
• On Sept. 12, 2002, DHL Worldwide Express acquired
62.8% stake in Blue dart to increase their presence in
• DHL owns and leases 250 aircrafts globally and this gave
a boost to the Indian logistics industry through the Blue
Dart DHL alliance.
• Both companies deploy the latest e-Business
technologies, thus supporting Internet-based supply
chain management systems of customers.www.dhl.co.in
WHAT IS DHL SUPPLY CHAIN?
• DHL Supply Chain offers customized logistics solutions for your entire
• Complete perspective -- from manufacturer/supplier to retailer to
consumer – enables you to achieve operational excellence at every
• Services range from consulting and design, to management and
• DHL Supply Chain has two main businesses: its contract logistics
business includes ground-based supply chain management services
such as warehousing and distribution assembly, and just-in-time
• Its freight management business includes airfreight and
ocean freight forwarding customs brokerage and multimodal services
SERVICES OFFERED BY DHL
Services offered at DHL are categorized as
DHL Global Forwarding
• Ocean freight
• Air freight
• Road and rail freight
• Cold Chain Road Freight
• Intercontinental Direct Distribution Solutions
with DHL DOOR-TO-MORE
• DHL Global Forwarding’s worldwide network enables door-to-door
movement, visibility and control of all international ocean freight.
• DHL Global Forwarding is not only a leading Ocean Freight forwarder but through
Danmar Lines, our own NVOCC (Non Vessel Operating Common Carrier) we can act
as your virtual carrier for both LCL and FCL.
• DHL can consolidate your LCL (Less than Container Load) shipments or arrange for
your FCL (Full Container Load) needs.
• DHL’s tracking & tracing system provides full transparency along the entire supply
• DHL Global Forwarding’s worldwide team uses the latest freight forwarding
shipping tools, which you can rely on to manage your shipments’ specific needs.
Full container load
Less than container load
• As the global leader in air freight, carrying 12% of the total worldwide
• Our air freight operations are managed through our own network
including 7,000 specialists in 600 offices from over 150 countries
• All logistics processes from pick-up to delivery are supported and
controlled by leading-edge information management systems and
provide the customer with full information transparency
• Air freight traffic has been forecasted to grow at an average annual
rate of over 5.9% for the next two decades, according to the
2010/2022 Boeing World Air Cargo Forecast
• DHL Air Premium
• DHL air value
• DHL SEAir
• Hand carry capabilities
RAIL AND ROAD FREIGHT
• DHL Freight is your flexible partner for overland transport
across Europe, parts of the Commonwealth of Independent
States (CIS), North Africa and the Middle East.
• DHL ensure reliable and efficient domestic and international
transportation for customers of all sizes.
• Our comprehensive overland transportation service
comprises more than 170 road terminals in more than 40
countries, over 3,500 weekly international departures, door-
to-door tariffs and full tracking capability, all supported by
customs experts in more than 275 offices.
Cold Chain Road Freight
• DHL COLDCHAIN is a dedicated, fully monitored and temperature
controlled service for volumes of less than truckload (LTL).
• It covers the whole of Europe and is designed to meet everything the Life
Sciences and Health industry requires, in terms of temperature control,
security and handling.
• DHL COLDCHAIN services cover the range of refrigerated (2 – 8° Celsius)
as well as controlled ambient products (15 – 25° Celsius).
• Throughout the journey, the temperature of the pharmaceuticals is
continuously measured and transmitted via GPS. With our state of-the-art
• the customer is pro-actively informed of the status and temperature of all
shipments during the entire journey.
• All warehouses and cross docking stations are GDP compliant and
specifically equipped to guarantee continuous temperature control.
WAREHOUSE AND DISTRIBUTION
• DEDICATED OPREATIONS
• SHARED OPERATIONS
• TRANSPORTATION MAMAGEMENT
• WAREHOUSE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
Warehouse & distribution
They offer every combination of warehousing
solution that your supply chain might require,
• Finished Goods
• Raw Materials
Customs, security and insurance
• Dlf custom service
• Freight security
• Air – ocean cargo service
• Road fright insurance
International supply chain
• International supply chain consultancy and solution design
• Control tower services, managing the operation and
providing supply chain visibility
• Origin management including consolidation, vendor
management and value added services
• Freight management across all modes:
Road, sea, air, rail, sea air and carrier neutral
• Destination management: De-consolidation, port to
destination center, and destination center by-pass services.
DHL- WORK FLOW
INDIVIDUAL CUSTOMERS CORPORATE
CENTRAL LOCATION OFFICE
REGION SORTING AND BULK PACKING
DHL -WORK FLOW (Contd.)
Cargo or Courier
Destination / Hub
Air India or
DHL Office at