(it works and it’s cheap)
During a time when all marketers need to be smart with every
dollar they spend, email is one of the few “go-to” tools with
dramatically low cost and instantaneous accountability.
*Blessing and a Curse*
Email Is “Free” Email Marketing Is Not
What’s the value of an email address?
- Email Marketing: an Hour a Day by Jeanniey Mullen and David Daniels).
The Online Marketer’s Challenge
To do Online Marketing well, marketers need to
be good at so much more than Email + Search.
They need to understand the lead source and
communicate clearly and appropriately.
1. How Do They Find You?
2. Where Do They Land?
3. How Do You Continue The
4. How Do You Get Them to Act?
Tips for Opt-In
1. Call out your Email Opt-in on every page of your site.
2. Don’t expect them to find it (or read)
3. Links to samples are effective
4. Give subscribers choices! e.g. frequency (daily,
weekly, monthly), event alerts, etc...
5. Tell them specifically what they’re signing up for &
how often they’ll hear from you. Keep that promise.
6. Don’t make someone register (user/pass) for email
7. Remember, you can get more information later
The Welcome Email: Business Reasons
1. Continued Conversation
2. Exposure to Additional Services/
3. Subscription Management/Progressive
4. Opportunity to Award/Reward
8 Steps to More Effective Welcome E-mails
1. Send your welcome message within 24 hours to people who sign up
for your e-mail program.
2. Provide a link to your preference center so subscribers can manage
3. Include a welcome offer or other incentive to make a purchase; be
creative about incorporating this offer into the subject line without
making it too long to display in subscribers’ inboxes.
4. Provide subscribers with information on the types of content they
can expect to receive from you and how frequently.
5. Include white-listing instructions so subscribers can keep your e-
mails out of their junk folders.
6. Although welcome messages likely are considered transactional
under the CAN-SPAM Act, it’s still smart to include an opt-out link in
case people change their minds about subscribing.
7. Try to personalize the content for maximum relevancy and subscriber
8. Tell subscribers how you intend to use their e-mail addresses or
A Welcome Message Study: Marketers Are Missing Opportunities to Pave the Road to Relevancy Return Path