How High-speed Dial-
S1170047 Takahide Ishii
Outline of How High-speed Dial
● Introduction to How High-speed Dial-up Wor
● High-speed Dial-up: Acceleration Servers
● High-speed Dial-up: File Compression
● High-speed Dial-up: Filtering and Caching
● High-speed Dial-up: The Bottom Line
What's High-speed Dial-up Wor
● A typical of the High-speed Dial-up services a
re NetZero and EarthLink.
● These services called “high-speed dial-up”.
● These services connection speeds are five tim
es faster than traditional dial-up service.
● High-speed dial-up providers have cut down
on this back-and-forth by creating a system th
at allows the conversing machines.
● This server take 45 seconds with a "normal" d
ial-up service becomes maybe a 30-second pr
ocess with a high-speed service.
● The key element of high-speed dial-up Intern
et is file compression.
● There are two types of file compression: lossy
● Text and other files that need to remain perfe
ctly intact during the compression process us
e lossless compression.
Filtering and Caching
● high-speed dial-up providers have bundled a
pop-up blocker into the software they send t
● This pop-up blocker is programmed to recog
nize those lines of code that spell out the ad
● When it sees those tell-tale lines of code, it re
jects the ad's request to be displayed.
The Bottom Line
● High-speed Dial-up services would seem that
a clever combination of fairly straightforward
technologies has helped to overcome some o
f the speed bumps of dial-up Internet.
● These advances serve to prolong the life of di
al-up Internet and provide an alternative for t
hose who are tired of standard dial-up but no
t quite ready for the leap to broadband.