1. A woman comes into your office. She explains that she is from Africa and
she has arrived in Ontario in September 2009. She is a landed immigrant
who is 7 months pregnant and has received no health services since
arriving in Ontario.
2. A 22 year old male walks into your office. He explains that since arriving in
Canada several years ago from Iraq he has found it difficult to adjust and
integrate into the social and cultural life of Canada. He was living with his
parents and two younger siblings in Toronto but left after having an
altercation with his father. He has shown up in the Hamilton region, has
little money, no job and no place to stay.
3. A foreign trained chemical engineer from India has been living in Windsor
for the past year. He is a landed immigrant and has been trying to find a
job in his field with little success. He and his wife are slowly running out of
the funds they brought with them to Canada. He is getting quite desperate
and wants to find a job as soon as possible.
4. A newcomer to Ottawa wants to improve her English. She has heard
about both LINC and ESL but does not know which would be better for
her. She also has an infant and a preschooler and would like to have day
care arranged as part of her English classes.
5. A family who were landed immigrants and now have become Canadian
citizens want to sponsor their relatives from South East Asia. The family is
comprised of a husband, wife and 3 children between the ages of 5 and
14. The husband wants to sponsor his three children from a previous
marriage as well as his mother who is 71 years old. He wants to know
about the sponsorship process and fees associated with it. He wants to
know how long it will take.
6. A foreign trained physician who has practiced medicine for 15 years has
recently come to the Hamilton region as an independent immigrant. He
wants to know what the requirements are to become a family physician.
He also wants to know where he can get his educational documents
assessed for comparative standing in Ontario.
7. Your clients, who are an elderly couple sponsored to Canada by their
children, report a case of abuse to you. They complain that their lives are
unbearable and that they are being neglected and humiliated by their
children. They do not want to return to their country of origin but just can’t
face going back to their home on James Street.
8. Your clients immigrated to Canada five months ago and are living in
Grimsby. They have 2 small children ages 2 and 4. Currently they are
enrolled in LINC classes and actively looking for employment. They want
to know what type of financial assistance is available for them as they only
have $400.00 left in their bank account.