• Born February 24,1955 in San Francisco, CA to
Joanne Carole Schieble and Abdulfattah John
• Adopted at birth by Paul and Clara Jobs to live in
Santa Clara, California
• Named- Steven Paul Jobs.
• Grew up in the Silicon Valley.
Graduated high school in Cupertino, California
Attended Hewlett-Packard lectures after school.
Worked with Steve Wozniak in summer.
Attended Reed College after high school.
Dropped out after one semester.
Continued auditing courses in
classes he liked.
• Did part-time job at Atari to finance
trip to India for studying Eastern
Culture & Religion.
START OF APPLE
• Raised capital to form Apple company.
• On April 1, 1976, Apple Computer Co. was
• Their first PC - The Apple I, sold for $666.66
• The Apple II, released next year, was huge
• In May of 1980, released Apple III.
• Created PC-Lisa with GUI.
• From 1977 to 1983, Apple continued
to grow exponentially.
Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak
THE APPLE SERIES
• Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak released the
Apple I to start the PC revolution.
• The Apple Series includes: I, II, III & Lisa.
THE TAKE OFF
• In 1981, IBM entered PC market & in 2 years
began to outsell Apple.
• Apples sales and shine began to wear off
• Jobs needed a new computer that could
compete with IBM PC
• January 24, 1984 Jobs introduced Macintosh
– 128K of expandable memory
– Pointing device: mouse
FROM APPLE TO NEXT
• In 1985, Jobs helped Bill Gates with Macintosh to
create Windows, which could run on IBM PC’s.
• CEO John Sculley forced Jobs
• Jobs then founded NeXT.
• Created NeXT Cube PC which
didnt sell due to:
– Missing software.
• Changed focus from hardware to software.
Pixar- An animation Studio bought by Steve in 1986.
Three films contract from Disney.
Created first computer animated film.
Toy story was an instant hit in 1995
Sold to Disney for stock
worth about $7.4 billion
Steve Jobs with Disney’s CEO
STEVE JOBS RETURNS
• Apple simultaneously did very poorly in the early
& mid 90’s due to:
– Poor leadership
– Stagnating computer design.
• In 1996, Apple bought NeXT & with it came
• In 2000, Jobs became CEO of Apple
• Created iMac – 1st PC marketed for its looks
RETURN TO PROFITABILITY &
• Jobs continued innovating with
– Music Store
– High end computers
• Under Jobs’ watch, Apple grew
fueled by his imagination &
quest for perfection
iPOD & iTUNES
• Name changed from
Inc. to Apple Inc.
• iPods sold since year
2001 – 250 mn.
• Phones were broken in Job’s eyes until the
• The iPhone enhanced the phone industry.
• It is very technologically advanced.
• Breakthrough technology
• Combination of
• National Medal of Technology from President Ronald
Reagan in 1985 with Steve Wozniak (the first people
to ever receive the honor).
• Jefferson Award for Public Service in the category
"Greatest Public Service by an Individual 35 Years or
Under" in 1987.
• Stanford Commencement Speaker in 2005
• Named the most powerful person in business by
Fortune Magazine on November 27, 2007.
• Inducted into the California Hall of Fame by
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger on
December 5, 2007.
ACCORDING TO OTHERS
• Never a powerhouse in terms of
• Great innovator and creative.
• Small percentage of P.C market.
• Positive outlook on comments.
• Jobs as Genius.
• Jobs as Creep.
• Steve married Laurene Powell
on March 18, 1991.
• Had 3 children – Reed, Erin &
• In 2004, Jobs announced to have tumor in his
• On July 31 - had surgery to remove the tumor.
• In 2009 – Jobs went on 6 months leavefor liver
Apple has total of 284 retail stores
Last quarter they had 50,000,000 visitors.
App stores 140,000 applications.
3 billion applications downloaded in 18 months
Fiscal quarter of 2010 ended with $15.6 bn of
revenue making Apple Inc. a
more than $50 bn company.
• Apple is largest ‘mobile devices’
company in the world.
“We started out to get
a computer in the
hands of everyday
people, and we
- Steve Jobs
• Steve Jobs - extraordinary man by standards.
• Left mark in 4 industries:
• Changed million of lives by making technology
easy to use.
• You know what the BEST part is?
– HE’s NOT DONE YET!!!