• This is a continuation of the lost sheep
and lost coin
• A young man who has lost his
relationship with God.
• Living without God
• Going back to God and seeing his
• 17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many
of my father’s hired men have food to spare, and here
I am starving to death! 18I will set out and go back to
my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned
against heaven and against you
• 2 Corinthians 7:10 Godly sorrow brings repentance
that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but
worldly sorrow brings death.
• 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make
me like one of your hired men.
• 21“The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against
heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be
called your son.’
• Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people,
holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with
compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and
3. God’s Forgiveness
• 20 So he got up and went to his father. “But while he
was still a long way off, his father saw him and was
filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son,
threw his arms around him and kissed him.
• 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and
just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all
• 22“But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring
the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his
finger and sandals on his feet.
• Jeremiah 15:19 "If you repent, I will restore you that
you may serve me; if you utter worthy, not worthless,
words, you will be my spokesman...” --
5. Rejoicing in Repentance
• 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a
feast and celebrate. 24For this son of mine was dead
and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they
began to celebrate.
• Luke 15:10 Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the
angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
6. Grace not Works
• 28 “The older brother became angry and refused to
go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him.
29But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years
I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your
orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I
could celebrate with my friends.
• Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved
through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the
gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may
• We must never forget that it was Jesus who said:
• (Lk 5:31-32) "Those who are well do not need a
physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to
call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.“
• God anxiously awaits your reconciliation with Him!