1. Mt. Tabor F.A.C.T.S (Families Against Cell Towers near School) The Case for Regulating Cell Towers Understanding the risk of cell and microwave radiation: Protecting Portland’s Citizens Against Electro-smog Ver 1.3 updated Oct 15 h 2010
4. Broader issue Cell Towers : 1900 MHz Cell Phones : 800; 900; 1800 MHz 3G smart phones: 1900-2200 MHz Wi-Fi systems and cordless phones over 900 MHz: 2.5GHz = same as microwave oven Wi-Max and 4G: 3.4-3.6 GHz
5. “ Studies on ionizing radiation have shown that children are most sensitive among all members of populations…” President Obama’s cancer panel 9/09- Martha Linet of the National Cancer Institute Radiation absorption from cell phones showing NON-IONIZING radiation Children are most vulnerable
6. You’re exposed to 100 million times more Electromagnetic radiation than your grandparents were Approx: 2GHz; 2GHz; 2.5GHz; 3.5GHz iPhone; Cell Tower; Wi-Fi; 4G device
11. 971 studies* to date, 652 found a significant health effect, only 138 did not http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/science/studies.asp *Cell tower specific studies
12. 800 more cell towers to blanket Portland with electro-smog 2010-2014 Portland = Clearwire testbed for Wi-Max
3khz- 300Ghz- cell phones, cell towers
Note: there are effects of non-ionizing radiation that don't involve heating at levels well below existing guidelines
“ This new law gives residents real power in the decision making process on cell tower placement,” Town Supervisor Kate Murray said.
Congress/FCC: Local governments CAN evaluate RF safety to determine compliance with the federal standards in FCC OET Bulletin 65. There are two federal standards in the FCC OET Bulletin 65 rules (sometimes misapplied by carriers): The Controlled/Occupational standards and Uncontrolled/General Population standard.