Avoiding Digital Disaster!
or, Life After Death
Tim and AliceVerpoorten
Not a Geek
22 Moving Boxes
$2800 in Shipping Costs!
Key Areas to Consider
• Who could access your passwords if something
happened to you?
• What services should continue if you were incapacitated
• How organized are your electronics?
• What could you document to protect your interests and
give your family/friends a helping hand?
• If you’re not already using a
• Consider sharing your master
password with someone you
• Put it in a Safe Deposit Box?
• Print it, cut in half and give to
Passwords - Credit Cards
• If something happened to you - would your
credit cards be cancelled?
• As we go through the
slides, think how much of
your geek life is connected
to your credit cards
• You’re a geek so you’ve turned on
• But what if they got rid of your cell
• Maybe have a someone else’s phone
be the alternate ID - useful if your
phone gets stolen or you have to
change your number
Services - Files
• Where do you store your ﬁles?
• What do you want preserved?
• What could be lost if you
weren’t there to manage it?
• Use your password manager (remember LastPass and
• Use Secure Notes to enter date purchased and purchase price
• Even helps you with warranties
• This way your family will have a clue if something is valuable
• Home Inventory in the Mac App Store
• Even if you won’t do it retroactively
• Maybe start today going forward?
DoYou Love to Be the Guy
Who has That Thing
the OTHER Guy Needs?
Tell them what credit card is tied to your services
Tell them to keep your email account open for a year
Tell them to keep your cell phone active for 2-factor authentication
Tell them if you care your photos in the Cloud - pay those bill
Tell them what you have in Cloud storage - pay those bills
Tell them if someone ELSE depends on your Cloud storage
Tell them about the websites you own - especially if you do this for
Tell them to keep your backups running - pay those bills
Set up Google Inactive Account Manager - make decisions
now on what happens to your account
Give someone access to your password manager and TELL
them you did it!
Sort your cables into zippered bags with labels
Buy a label maker (or silver Sharpie) for your power supplies
Label your boxes “Crap” and “Not Crap”
Link Farm of Doom™
• LastPass: lastpass.com
• 1Password: agilebits.com
• CrashPlan: crashplan.com
• Carbonite: carbonite.com
• Transporter: ﬁletransporter.com
• Google Inactive Account Manager: support.google.com
• Facebook Memorial Request: facebook.com/help/150486848354038
• Home Inventory: itunes.apple.com
All Slides Available at: