ETHICS AND PROFESSIONALISM
Ethics refers to the moral principles and values
that guide the development and use of new and
Professionalism refers to the set of skills,
knowledge, and ethical standards.
• Artificial Intelligence (AI): AI
systems must be developed and used
in an ethical manner, with
considerations for fairness,
transparency, and accountability.
• Autonomous Vehicles: The
development of autonomous vehicles
raises ethical questions related to
safety, liability, and privacy.
• Authentication refers to the process of
verifying the identity of users or devices
accessing digital resources, such as
websites, applications, or data.
• Trustworthiness: Protect user privacy
and security: Protect user data and
privacy by using Encryption, secure
storage, and access controls. Don't use or
share data without user consent.
INTEGRITY PROS AND CONS
• Building trust: Demonstrating integrity in emerging
technology can help build trust among stakeholders,
including clients, investors, and regulators. This can lead
to increased adoption and investment in emerging
• Higher costs: Maintaining integrity in emerging technology
can be expensive, as it often requires additional resources
for testing, monitoring, and compliance.
• A cybersecurity professional testing and
evaluating security measures and tools
impartially, without any biases or
• A data analyst presenting data in a clear
and unbiased way, rather than cherry-
picking data to support a preconceived
idea or agenda.
OBJECTIVITY PROS AND CONS
• Promotes fairness and equality
• Encourages ethical decision-making
• Reduces the likelihood of biased decisions
• May be challenging to maintain objectivity in situations
where personal interests or biases are present
• Can lead to indecisiveness or inaction in some situations
COMPETENCE AND DUE CARE
Competence refers to the ability to apply
knowledge and skills effectively to solve
problems and achieve objectives in the context
of emerging technologies.
Due care refers to the obligation to take
reasonable steps to ensure that emerging
technologies are developed and used in a
responsible, ethical, and safe manner.
• A software engineer staying up-to-date
with the latest programming languages
and frameworks to ensure they have
the necessary skills to develop high-
• A cybersecurity professional keeping up
with the latest security threats and
vulnerabilities to ensure they can
identify and mitigate risks to the
systems they manage.
COMPETENCE AND DUE CARE PROS
• Ensures high-quality service to clients or stakeholders
• Promotes safety, security, and effectiveness in the development
and implementation of emerging technologies
• Maintaining competence and due care can be time-consuming and
require ongoing training and education
• May be challenging to keep up with the latest developments and
trends in emerging technologies
• Protecting Sensitive Information:
Example, a soft drink company might
keep its recipe confidential so that no one
can copy it or use it to form new ideas.
• Health data privacy: With the increasing
use of wearable devices, health-related
data is being collected and transmitted
more than ever before. Maintaining
confidentiality is crucial to ensure that
sensitive health information is not
accessed by unauthorized parties.
CONFIDENTIALITY PROS AND
• Protects User Information: By utilizing confidentiality in emerging
technology, users’ data and information can be kept secure.
• Improves Security: By keeping user data safe and protected, businesses
can ensure that only authorized users can access their systems and data.
• Can Be Expensive: Implementing confidentiality in emerging
technology can be costly, as it requires investments in infrastructure,
processes, and resources.
Professional behavior refers to the expected
standards of conduct for professionals working
with new and innovative technologies. It includes
a range of behaviors and attitudes that
contribute to responsible and ethical
development and use of emerging technologies.
• Effective communication with colleagues
and clients and staying up-to-date on the
latest technology advancements.
• Using appropriate problem-solving skills to
troubleshoot issues. Demonstrating a clear
understanding of the application of the
PROS AND CONS
• Increased accuracy - Automated technologies can reduce errors and
ensure that tasks are completed correctly.
• Improved customer service - Professional behavior can create a more
positive customer experience, leading to increased customer satisfaction
• Privacy risks - With automated systems collecting and processing data,
there is an increased risk of privacy violations and data breaches.