Storage side computing for data management in private and public clouds
for Data Management in
Private and Public
M.Tech 1st year
What is Cloud Computing?
Online Storage Service
• Cloud Computing is a general term used to
describe a new class of network based
computing over the Internet.
• Data is centralized and stored in a cloud and
can be accessed from anywhere.
• It is a service that stores files and allows users
to access them through the Internet.
• Both free and commercial services are
• Widely used in exchanging files between office
and home and for sharing of data.
• Amazon S3(Simple Storage Service)
One of the storage services
provided by Amazon Web Services.
• Calls itself personal cloud.
• Using pogoplug a user can share USB disks
over the network.
• Large data center is not required since the
data is stored in the users’ files.
• It is an open source software for Web based
• Supports several kinds of plugins.
• AjaXplorer is a core of Storage-side
• A public cloud provides services to multiple
• Public clouds are most often hosted away
from customer premises, and they provide a
way to reduce customer risk and cost by
providing a flexible, even temporary extension
to enterprise infrastructure.
• Private clouds may be hosted at a collocation
facility or in an enterprise datacenter.
• They may be supported by the company, by a
cloud provider, of that enterprise itself.
Key concept of private cloud.
Super saturation : State of utilizing more logical
resources than physical resources.
Reduces the cost
to 10-50 %.
Resource utilization of a
• conventional not-cloud : 30%
• Cloud : 60%
• Supersaturated cloud : 100%
Digital Library System
• It is realized as Web Application based on
• Fess is used to search e-books.
• Fess supports PDF, Office files and Zipped files.
• Digital library system as an example of
Storage-Side computing. Here is an overview
• Effectiveness of storage-side computing:
• SSC is executed in the background.
• Performance of storage-side computing(SSC)
is higher than conventional client-side
• Storage-side computing is a very effective way
of storing data in cloud.
• Here we designed and implemented a digital
library system where more than one user can
use the system simultaneously and all devices
can access the files stored in the online library
Amazon web services: Amazon Simple Storage Services
Dropbox: Dropbox, https://www.dropbox.com/
SugarSync: File Sync & Online Backup, https://www.sugarsync.com/
Apple Inc.: iCloud, https://www.icloud.com/
Microsoft: SkyDrive, https://skydrive.live.com/
viksoe.df: GMail Drive shell extension,
Pogoplug: Pogoplug, https://pogoplug.com/
Charles du Jeu: AjaXplorer, http://ajaxplorer.info/
Hiroaki Akama, Ichibe Naito, Hiroyuki Uchiyama, Masakazu Yamanaka, Noburou
Taniguchi, Tomohiro Hasegawa, Kazuyoshi Mii, and Masashi Yamamuro: "Folder
Programming on Network Folder Service",DICOMO2008, pp. 1435-1442, (2008) (in
 NTT Cyber Space Lab.: Rainbow Cloud,
http://www.kc.tsukuba.ac.jp/colloqium/101021.pdf (in Japanese)