Sultan Qaboos University
Collage of Education
Dept. of Instructional & Learning Technologies
Distance Education & the Internet (TECH4101)
Writing DE Materials
"Charting in Excel”
Done by: Manar Dawood Al-Wahaibi
Charts are used to display series of numeric data in a graphical format to make it
easier to understand large quantities of data and the relationship between different
series of data.
A chart has many elements. Some of these elements are displayed by default, others
can be added as needed. You can change the display of the chart elements by moving
them to other locations in the chart, resizing them, or by changing the format. You can
also remove chart elements that you do not want to display.
The data points
of the data series
that are plotted
in the chart.
4)The horizontal (category) and
vertical (value) axis along which
the data is plotted in the chart.
At the end of this lesson you will be able to:
Define a Chart.
Create a simple chart.
Format a chart.
Change chart types.
How to make a chart??
A. Creating a simple chart
1. Select cells A3 to D6. You must select all the cells containing the data you
want in your chart. You should also include the data labels.
2. Choose the Insert tab.
3. Click the Column button in the Charts group. A list of column chart sub-types
4. Click the Clustered Column chart sub-type. Excel creates a Clustered Column
chart and the Chart Tools context tabs appear.
What is a chart?
Is a graphic that displays series of numeric data and the relationship between
different series of data.
What is the first step of creating a chart?
A. Change the chart range.
B. Select the data range.
C. “Insert” menu , “Chart type”
B. Formatting the Chart
When you click on a chart, there are three tabs - the Design, Layout, and Format tabs
which are added to the ribbon under the title of Chart Tools.
1. Click on the chart background.
2. On the Format tab, in the Shape Styles group, click the style that you want.
3. Click on the Shape Fill option to open the drop down menu and choose any
color you want.
4. To apply a different shape effect, click Shape Effects, click an available effect,
and then select the type of effect that you want to use.
5. Also, to apply a different shape outline, click Shape Outline and click the
color that you want to use.
To Know more about formatting the chart visit this site:
How can you fill your chart with a red color?
by clicking the down arrow on Shape Fill on the Shape Styles panel and select the red
color form the list.
C. Changing the Chart Type
1. Click your chart. The Chart Tools become available.
2. Choose the Design tab.
3. Click Change Chart Type in the Type group. The Chart Type dialog box
4. Click Bar.
5. Click Clustered Horizontal Cylinder.
Click OK. Excel changes your chart type.
What is the easiest way to change the type of an existing chart?
A. Right-click chart area and select “Change Chart Type”.
C. Delete it and start over.