THIS PRESENTATION ON SELF-ESTEEM IS
A COLLECTION OF INFORMATION FROM
What is self-esteem.
What self-esteem is not.
Factors that influence's one’s self-esteem.
What is self esteem made of?
Development of self esteem.
Importance of self esteem.
Effects of self-esteem.
Some tips on building a positive and
improving your self esteem.
• Self-concept: Picture or perception of
ourselves/ a person's mental model of his
or her abilities and attributes.
• Self Efficacy: The set of beliefs that one
can perform adequately in a particular
• Self-ideal: The way we would like to be.
• Self-actualization A concept in
personality psychology referring to a
person's constant striving to realize his
or her potential and to develop inherent
talents and capabilities.
• Self-awareness The top level of
consciousness; cognizance of the
autobiographical character of personally
WHAT IS SELF-ESTEEM?
Feelings we have about ourselves. Self
Esteem is a realistic respect for or favorable impression
of one self; Self respect. (Dictionary.com)
• It is feeling good about yourself, Putting a high value on
your worth, Thinking or thoughts in your head about
your self and it Is different depending on circumstances
and relationships. (Dr Moya O’Brien )
WHAT IS SELF-ESTEEM
Self-esteem refers to the
way we see and think
WHAT IS SELFESTEEM CONT…
(how you see
Is the evaluation of one’s success in
meeting set goals.
The gap between how you see
yourself now and your ideal self.
A strong and deeply-felt belief that
you as a person have value in the
WHAT IS SELF ESTEEM CONT…
Self-esteem refers to the way we see
and think about ourselves
Self esteem is your opinion of yourself.
High self esteem is a good opinion of
low self esteem is a bad opinion of
WHAT SELF-ESTEEM IS NOT.(MRS NAIMA-UNNISSA)
1. Self Esteem is NOT dependent upon what other
people think of you
2. Self Esteem is not egotism, arrogance,
narcissism/selfishness, or a desire to feel superior to
3. Self Esteem is not temporary euphoria
FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE SELF-ESTEEM.
Most factors that affect our self-esteem are;
• Media (Dove Evolution Video) (10 minutes)
• Goal Setting, Self-Talk, Definition of Success
• Expectations (Realistic vs. Unrealistic)
• Work Ethic, Attitude, Family, Friends
FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE ONE’S SELF-ESTEEM.
• Your self esteem depends on many questions:
• Is your job worthwhile? Do others respect what you
do? Do you?
• Do you believe you are successful?
• How do you see yourself (your self image)?
- Improve your self esteem
- Boost your self confidence
• How do you feel about your strengths and weaknesses?
• What do you think of your social status?
• How do you relate to others?
• Can you make your own decisions? A lack of choices
leads to low self esteem.
SELF-ESTEEM…WHAT IS IT MADE OF?
• Your self-esteem is made up of all the
experiences and interpersonal relationships
you’ve had in your life. Everyone you’ve ever
met has added to or taken away from how you
DEVELOPMENT OF SELF-ESTEEM.
•A person develops his/her self esteem
throughout the life through experiences.
•In this regard childhood experiences play
an important role in shaping self esteem.
FACTORS THAT CONTRIBUTE TO HIGH OR LOW
SELF ESTEEM.(MRS. NAJAM-UN-NISSA)
• If you are being praised
• If you are listened to
• If you are being spoken to
• If you are getting attention
• Experiencing success
• Having trust worthy friends
Being expected to perfect all
Being Ignored or made fun of
Having physical or emotional
IMPORTANCE OF SELF-ESTEEM.
According to Dr Moya O’Brien, Self-esteem is important because it is associated with
• Sense of Optimism
SELF-ESTEEM IMPORTANCE CONT…
• Having a healthy self – esteem creates confidence, selfreliance, and overall happiness in an individual.
• Self esteem increases your confidence. If you have
confidence you will respect yourself and then you can
respect others, improve your relationships and
become happier....this is not a selfish goal as you will
contribute more and share yourself with the world and those
IMPORTANCE OF SELF-ESTEEM CONT…
• Low esteem causes depression, unhappiness,
insecurity and low confidence.
• Other's desires may take preference over yours.
• Inner criticism, that nagging voice of disapproval
inside you, causes you to stumble at every
challenge and challenges seem impossible
ADVANTAGES OF A GOOD SELF-ESTEEM.
EFFECTS OF HIGH SELF-ESTEEM.
• They don’t worry about how others will judge them.
• They have the courage to express themselves.
• Their lives are enriched with each new encounter.
• They are nicer to be around.
EFFECTS OF HIGH SELF-ESTEEM CONT…
• Their ideas are met with interest because
others want to hear what they have to say.
• They are magnets to positive opportunities!
EFFECTS OF LOW SELF-ESTEEM.
with low self-esteem possess
-They don’t believe in themselves.
-They see themselves failing
before they begin.
EFFECTS OF LOW SELF-ESTEEM CONT…
They have a hard time forgiving
their mistakes and make themselves
pay the price forever.
-They believe they can never be as
good as they should be or as others.
-They are afraid to show their
creativity because they will be
EFFECTS OF LOW SELF-ESTEEM CONT…
They are dissatisfied with their lives.
-They spend most of their time alone.
-They complain and criticize.
-They worry about everything and do
TIPS ON BUILDING YOUR SELF-ESTEEM.
Learn to be more assertive and not feel guilty about saying no
Believe on your self
Make plans for the future .Set and achieve goals
Do something challenging each day
Look your best
Do something for someone else
Learn a new skill
TIPS ON BUILDING YOUR SELF-ESTEEM
Handle things one at a time
Use criticism constructively
Ask for help – take advantage of learning opportunities
Allow personal growth time each day
Do not say negative things about yourself
Reward yourself often
List your accomplishments each evening
Volunteer to share your skills with others
HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SELF-ESTEEM.
• Choose friends who value and respect you.
• Focus on positive aspects about yourself.
• Replace negative self-talk with supportive self-talk.
• Act in accordance with your values.
• Work toward accomplishments rather than perfection.
• Consider your mistakes learning opportunities.
HOW TO IMPROVE SELF-ESTEEM CONT…
• Try new activities to discover your talents.
• Write down your goals and the steps you will take to achieve
• Exercise regularly to feel more energized.
• Volunteer to help someone.
• Accept the things you can’t change, and focus your energy on
changing the things you can.
Dr Moya O’Brien Improving Your Child’s Self Esteem.
• Clarence Castillo Building Self-Esteem and Self-Confidence towards SelfActualization. http://www.slideshare.net/ClarenceCastillo/self-esteem9056559?qid=25dd5f98-073b-4d79-a88eeff16c3d805a&v=default&b=&from_search=21lastly accessed 07/03/2014.
• Kdcsdross self esteem. http://www.slideshare.net/kdcsdross/self-esteem14196495?qid=25dd5f98-073b-4d79-a88eeff16c3d805a&v=default&b=&from_search=18 accessed 07/03/2014.
• sandeepchhaya self-esteem. http://www.slideshare.net/sandeepchhaya/selfesteem-4777106?qid=25dd5f98-073b-4d79-a88eeff16c3d805a&v=default&b=&from_search=27 accessed 07/03/2014.