Equality vs. Equity
Give everyone what
they need to be
breaking down the
Everyone that is involved in community
development should ask themselves
1) Why is it this way?
2)Does it have to stay this way?
Know the Community
• Don’t simply build for the community, build
with the community!
• Communicate frequently with the members
of the community
• Mixed income/diversity of income approach
make cities thrive and grow!
• Design not just for the people who wish to
come in, but for those who already live there
• Have a vision for the outcome of the
Opportunities for Residents
• Make hiring Newarkers a priority
• Creating over 100 job opportunities for the
Initiatives for Affordable Housing
• Partner with local developers that have
insight about the community
• Developers becoming the civil rights leaders
of housing for our generation
• Strong focus on development that creates
“If you want to help change
someone’s life, ask them the
question, then shut up!