-Short statement from everyone-Wei & Chhay’s sharing
Built with open source php scripting language, uses mySQL database, and HTML/CSS for layout and style.
Matt Mullenweg just turned 19 years old when he created the blogging platform is now used everywhere. He founded the WordPress blogging platform in 2005, and since then, the blogosphere began to evolve. People began to migrate from other danplatformMovableType to WordPress, because this new platform is easy to use and always updated and continues to increase.
WordPress.com is a hosted blogging service. Sites hosted at WordPress.com are located at URLs like “yoursite.wordpress.com” and are largely used only for blogs. Overall, you have less control, can’t use any of the wide array of plug-in that makes the “real” WordPress great, and cannot deliver your own advertising.WordPress.org (the real WordPress) This “real” WordPress to which WordPress.org is dedicated, is where you download the latest version files, which you then upload to your website. (For most web hosting plans, this is also a one click process through your control panel – GoDaddy, Bluehost, etc). You (and us as a designer) have absolute and total control of your site, for use on your own servers, with no usage restrictions at all.http://blogdesignstudio.com/blogging-tips/why-choose-wordpress-as-the-blogging-platform/
MediaTemple, BlueHost, Laughing Squid
HostGator3.96~7.16Virtual Private ServersShared hosting vs. VPS
Wpwebhost Freedom Plan 7.95~13.95/month Page.ly Personal Plan 19.95/month
NavigationDo categories need to be prominently displayed? Are pages more important? Do you need a dropdown menu system? Is there room for you to build your own navigation if needed? Does it support the WordPress 3.0 menu system? Theme OptionsSome themes come equipped with theme options, literally an extra area of settings in the Admin area for customizing the theme. These options can range from simple, like altering colors, to complex, like integrating social media into your theme. Widget ReadyA widget-ready section in your theme enables you to quickly and easily customize its appearance and functionality. A commonly seen widget-ready area is the theme’s sidebar. In a widget-enabled theme, there is a special place in the Admin area where you can configure widgets without messing with any code. For example, you can drop in a mini-calendar, a chat feature, or some administrative links. Source Files
PEPY Wordpress workshop-01
If…• You‟re tired with spending too much time on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube…
If…• You have so many things to tell the world but feel blog is too old school
If…• You just want to spend an hour to know something interesting…and wait for weekend‟s coming…
This is the time for… WORKSHOP ~prepared by Wei
In this workshop*…• Wordpress ABC• Installation• Play around~• Be a WP monster!* All the pictures are collected from Internet but I’m too lazy to add references…
Only one rule…• If you have any question, please let everyone know!
• Forget about fancy terms, WordPress is websoftware you can use to create a beautiful websiteor blog.• It’s FREE and PRICELESS.
History of WordPress • First released May 27, 2003 • when he‟s 19!!! • Developed by thousands of volunteers all over the world • Used by over 13% of top 1,000,000 sites • Dominant content management systemMatt Mullenweg • 2005 Wordpress.com
It’s a SOFTWARE, the focus of this workshop. It’s a for-profit BLOG HOST. Pros: Pros: • It’s COOL! • Free plan for beginners • It’s your site, it’s your call. • Zero technical skills required • Support Google Ads installation, updates, maintenance, backu • Highly customizable Plug-ins & Themes p, they help all (that’s the magical part!!) • Flexible VIP plan • A Wordpress community Cons: Cons: • Install, update, backup manually • Limited Customization • Software is free. But you have to pay for • Just blogs domain and web host. • xxx.wordpress.com trust me, it’s not cool
1. Buy your domain & Choose a host plan• Domain „www.onionpeng.com‟, it‟s just a unique NAME of your site• Price: usually $9.99/year for a TLD (some .me domain costs only $1.99/year)• Always remember to check coupon before purchasing anything. (http://www.retailmenot.com/)
1. Buy your domain & Choose a host plan• Host Where you put all your files in the Internet• Usually around $6/month (some sharing plan is only $3/month)
1. Buy your domain & Choose a host plan• Host requirement – PHP version 5.2.4 or greater – MySQL version 5.0.15 or greater – Remote control supported• Let‟s face it…most of the hosting services you can find definitely support WP
1. Buy your domain & Choose a host plan• Many services provide domain service and host plan together. You don‟t need to set up any thing to „link‟ them.• My personal choice: WpWebhost Rookie Plan (USD 39.99/Year, domain included) not available to new users anymore
2. Installation• If you‟re using WpWebhost or page.ly, they will install the latest version of Wordpress for you.• If you choose HostGator, Bluehost and maybe other host service, „ONE-CLICK‟ installation is available.• If you just have to do it yourself, well, let‟s have a quick look at the famous 5-minute installation guideline!• A video about the 5-minute installation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq86rgU3rCU
Widgets/Sidebar• Most themes come with widgets• Sidebar functions include – Search – Custom Text – Links – Subscribe – Articles posted – Tag cloud – Slideshows – …• Most widgets needs plug-in support
Themes!!!• Themes – They make your site beautiful!• Rich resource here: http://welovewp.com/• How to modify layout a little CSS knowledge
How to Choose a Theme• Navigation – Page display friendly? Drop-down menu?• Theme Options – Color change available?• Widget Ready – Well-set sidebar?• Source Files – Editable?
Plug-ins• Plug-ins! You can‟t have them in Wordpress.com!• Widgets-2,087 plugins• Posts- 2,586• Admin- 1,090• Sidebar- 1,059• Comments- 806• Images- 723• Links- 613
Plug-ins• General – WP Super Cache • Help you speed up your site – Google Analyticator • Track website traffic – Disqus/Intense Debate • Interactive commenting system – All-in-one SEO • Simple SEO tool then google can find you! – Akismet (already built in) • Preventing spam
Plug-ins• Web 2.0 Optimization – Add this • Integrated Web – TweetMeme/Like • You know…twitter! – Facebook Likebox – Real-time tweets/facebook status (Plug-ins can help but simple coding works as well)• Video/Photo Optimization – WP Media Plugin – NextGen Gallery • A better media management tool – Photo EFX plug-ins • e.g. MonoSlideShow, lightbox – NextGen Flash Viewer
• No need to always keep your Wordpress updated – You will lose a lot of useful plug-ins• Always Backup! – Use “BackUpWordPress”• Define a Favicon for your site – All In One Favicon• Enable Gravatars for visitors – Visitor‟s online identity• Set up News Feed for your readers – Feedburner• Use “Blog Protector” if you don‟t want anyone copy your content without telling you
You want Google Love you• Customize Permalinks• Tags• SEO friendly images – have ALT and TITLE attributes defined – relevant title• SEO Plug-ins – All-in-on SEO + Scribe Service + Google XML Sitemap – + Related Posts• Meta description• Keyword placement – 20% rule – Headline + first and last paragraph• Linking strategy – External/Internal link: only link to valuable pages – Don‟t put too many sites in your sidebar• Don’t forget social media• Don’t use flash!
In the next workshop…• Advanced skills of WP – How to customize your theme (We will learn CSS+HTML!!!) – Earn a little money from Google Adsense – More about SEO – Web 2.0 Optimization – Multi-media optimization• Other things you want to know!!!• WHEN?