'Elle' topson women's market
• Post International Media (Post IM) is set
to expand its leadership position in the
women's magazine segment despite
increased competition in the market.
• The chief operating officer of Post
Publishing Plc, said the company's
position in this market is "very strong."
• Elle, the market leader for fashion
magazines, has seen its profits jump by
50% to date this year.
• Cleo remains the country's bestselling title, while Marie Claire has
enjoyed a 12% increase in circulation
revenue over the first eight months this
• The three titles give the company a
24% advertising market share in the
women's magazine segment. In
terms of advertising revenue, Elle
has seen growth of 13%, Cleo 6%
and Marie Claire 30% this year.
• In the pipeline are fashion events to
be held in collaboration with leading
shopping centres to complement the
main once-a-year Elle Fashion Week
and a fashion film festival, Ms
• For next year, Post IM is looking
to explore the men's magazines
market and add at least
five international titles to its lineup.
• Post IM's profit rose by 22% yearon-year in the first eight months.
• market segment - a group of possible
customers who are similar in income, age,
habits, likes and dislikes
• remarkable - unusual or special and
therefore surprising and worth mentioning;
noteworthy, impressive, surprising
• readership base - loyal readers (who
always buy and read the magazine)
• age bracket - a range of ages
• revenue - income from taxes or business
• strategy - a plan to achieve long term
• arbiter - the one who decides what is
good, right, acceptable; the judge
• collaboration - when people work together
to achieve a goal
• revealed - made known or showed
something that was surprising or that was
• add to line-up - add to the company's
• year-on-year - a period this year compared
to the same period last year.
• (Source: Bangkok Post, Economics,
MAGAZINES, 'Elle' tops on women's
market, 28/09/2012, Post Reporters, link)