“Inspire the world from sharing
yourself with the kids.”
• Not enough volunteers to meet the growing
demand for classes and programs.
• Recruit volunteers for weekday programs
including Field Trips, After School Tutoring,
In-school Project, Workshops, Design and
• 826 Valencia aims to close the academic achievement gap for
under-resourced youth ages 6 to 18 in the Bay Area through
offering project-based free programs for students, teachers,
and schools and help students strengthen their ability to
express themselves clearly and in their own voice.
• 826 Valencia offers its adult residents not only a chance to
make a difference, but also opportunity to connect and involve
with people and organizations in the community.
• San Francisco is home to abundant talented and aspiring
creative people who are eager to express themselves through
creative works and make a difference.
• Helping people to learn, grow and improve is an
“i wish there had been something like 826dc when i was young. so much of growing up is
learning to conform to expectations, so it’s critical for kids to have experiences that
encourage them to believe in their own ideas and unleash their own creativity. kids need to
see writing not as a dry, academic task, but as a natural way to connect with other people.
i love the enthusiasm i see in our program participants.” —Marie Joyce, volunteer at
• Desire for genuine human connections in this fast-
paced modern society.
“Kids in every community are excited and eager for a chance to be heard, to be
listened to, to tell their stories, and to have help telling them. The power of 826
comes from bringing the kids and the adults together and letting them be genuine
and real with each other in a setting that is anything but ordinary.”- Dave Eggers, 826
National and 826 Valencia Co-Founder
• San Francisco residents who have experiences
in creative works or teaching.
• Freelancers or people with flexible work
• Aspire to creating impactful and inspiring
• Strong awareness and pride of being part of the
San Francisco community.
• Encourage the creative people to inspire the
world starting from influencing the kids in their
“Inspire the world from sharing yourself
with the kids.
Volunteer at 826 Valencia”
Campaign- Raise Awareness
• Advertising: Posters at neighborhood shops/institutions with copy of “Inspire
the world from sharing yourself with the kids. Volunteer at 826 Valencia”
• Events: PR events at galleries, museums, cafes with current/past volunteers
sharing how their involvement with 826 Valencia and experiences with kids
have been integral for their own personal and professional growth.
o Volunteers Showcase: publish interviews of volunteers about their
stories, backgrounds, and experience with the kids.
o Publish articles/poem written by students about their experience with
o Sharing eye-catching copies and images revolving around the core
strategy, e.g. kid striding on streets wearing t-shirt that has volunteer’s
work printed over on.
• Dedicate a section on http://826valencia.org/ sharing
volunteers stories for continuous sharing and
• Secret Pal: partnering kids and volunteers up to foster
deeper engagement with each other in the programs.
• “After school parties” at 826 Valencia or partnering
spaces for volunteers and their friends who could be
• Programs for volunteers to interact with each other at
826 Valencia to build an internal community.