INSURANCE REGULATORY AND
DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY (IRDA)
Responsible for addressing complaints
filed by policy holders.
Absence of speaking order
Need for Grievances Redressal
1. Provides transparency and confidence in
the operations and thereby greater
2. Uniform and consistent application of
1. Grievance/Customer Complaints Cell
not approached in the first instance.
2. Above approached but a reasonable
time not elapsed.
A decision that shows application of
mind. Indicates reason.
1. Complete documents.
2. Point out policy (applicable).
3. Show deficiency/untenability of
4. Be objective and fair.
5. Give speaking order
1. Select a list of competent counsels of
2. Thorough briefing of counsels.
3. Be present in court when the matter is
The insurer will not be able to contest the
statements contained in the application.
Take corrective in-house action to
change procedures & system.
1. Create a Legal Cell
2. Identify suitable and experienced
3. Stock requisite publications and law
1. Compulsion to execute an unconditional
2. Compulsion on the insurer to receive
whatever amount is offered.
1. Examine the order.
2. Point out weak areas of orders that can
3. Enumerate grounds for appeal.
4. Show precedents, if any, in support of
contention for appeal.
5. Filing of Appeal within stipulated time
TIMELY COMPLIANCE OF
1. To avoid contempt.
2. To avoid penal rate of interest.