Code for Nepal
Empower Nepal by increasing digital literacy and the use of open data
AskNepal Lead @ Code for Nepal
● February 2014 - Launched at Open Data Day.
● Code for Nepal is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization registered in the U.S.
● Co-Founders Mia and Ravi.
● Volunteers from all over the world.
1. Increasing digital literacy.
2. Building apps to improve lives.
3. Increasing access to open data.
4. Right to information.
Developing Tools, Building Community,
Empowering Youths and Collaboration
What do we mean by open?
A piece of data or content is open if anyone is free to use, reuse, and
redistribute it — subject only, at most, to the requirement to attribute and / or
share-alike” - http://opendefinition.org/
Open Data involves
● the proactive disclosure of information;
● the Internet being the primary medium for such disclosure;
● information being made available for access and for reuse free of charge
● information being made available in a machine-readable format to enable
Why Open Data?
● Innovation, Efficiency and Transparency
● The Many Mind Principle -The best Thing to do with your data will be
thought of by someone else.
● Fixing is Faster with Open Data -To many eyes all bugs are shallow.