UX DESIGN IS YOUR
Product Camp 2015
By Elynn Lorimer, Niiu Digital
A lot of product managers have
realized that UX design expertise isn’t
just ‘nice to have’ anymore.
With cloud services, social media and multi-
screen delivery, the nature of digital products
and services has changed dramatically.
Customer expectations are higher than ever
and with disruptive new services coming into
the market at a rapid rate,
UX is a critical element of success.
THE ROAD TABLE
This roundtable will be facilitated by two people with deep roots in
product and user experience design.
Topics will include:
• How to incorporate UX design practices into
product management to reduce risk
• Increasing sales
• Improving stakeholderbuy-in
• Delivering great products your customers love
Elynn isa seasoned international executive who hasmany years of
experience managing digital strategy, product development and user
experience teamsfor large global organizations. She is a passionate
advocate for the user in the design process and believesin combining
art and science to delivergreat human experiences.
• Business leadership
• Digital strategy
• Channel performance frameworks
• Product concepting & design
• UI/UX design
CEO & Senior Consultant
Sheila brings 15 years of experience design, and a passion for
sandwiches to Niiu. Having worked for numerous large corporations,
including HSBC, Nokia and Samsung, She’s built teams, consulted on
global projects, and worked with some of the best designers in the
world. Sheila lovesuncovering thorny problems and designing
• User research
• Usability testing
• UI/UX Design
Partner & Senior User Experience Consultant
WHAT CAN UX DESIGN DO FOR YOU?
• Help reduce risk
• Help promote effective stakeholderengagement
& align product vision
• Provide user research / data to support decision-making
• Articulate & validate your product propositionand target audience
• Help you understand your audience needs, behaviours, motivations
• Help you determine your MVP
UX TO REDUCE RISK
• Ensure development dollars & resources are focused
on meeting user needs, not features & functionality
that users don’t want or need
• Validate concepts quickly
• Reduce usability issues / barriers to usage
UX TO MANAGE STAKEHOLDER INPUT
• ‘Product visioning’ and ‘Customer journey mapping’ workshops
are techniques used to bring together multiple stakeholders
across your organizations and ensure a common definition of
what success looks like.
• Capture the end-to-end customerjourney to build empathy and
improved communicationacross different stakeholderteams.
• Create a dynamic where decisions are led by customer needs
and research/data,not stakeholder ideas, biases or
PRODUCT UX CHALLENGES
• How do you change a well-entrenched product?
• How do you implement changes without alienating your key
• How do you manage stakeholderinput & opinions?
• How does UX fit into dev cycles?
• Impact to timelines/costs of projects
• How do you deal with customer frustration due to frequent changes
WHEN HASN’T UX WORKED
• Strategy and designs don’t aligned with reality of technical,
functional or process constraints.
• Website re-designs done without content strategy – with content
decisions/creationhappening separate to the design.
• No user testing in the design process or too late, making it difficult
to implement recommendations.
• Big / dramatic changes are difficult.
The overall objective for the
study was to determine T, U, V,
W, X, Y and Z.
• Provide a holistic qualitative assessment of the advertiser
experience across audience segments
• Identify areas of focus for product development with
actionable insights that contribute to the Facebook Ads
• Uncover unique needs and commonalities across segments.
• Establish KPIs for subsequent benchmarking reviews and
identify trends and performance year to year
• Evaluate the impact of recent interface changes where
WE ARE NIIU
A UX Design Company
We apply the power of design thinking to solve problems
and create products and services people love.
Current State Assessment
Customer Journey Mapping
Audience Segmentation & Profiling
UX / User Interface Design
App Design – Web, Mobile, Wearables
Art Direction / Visual Design
Please contact Elynn Lorimer for more information: