why is ‘engagement’ always tied to
1. the act of engaging or the state of being engaged.
2. an appointment or arrangement: a business engagement.
3. betrothal: They announced their engagement.
4. a pledge; an obligation or agreement: All his time seems to be taken up
with social engagements.
5. employment, or a period or post of employment, especially in the
performing arts: Her engagement at the nightclub will last five weeks.
verb (used with object)
1. to occupy the attention or efforts of (a person or persons): He engaged her
2. to secure for aid, employment, use, etc.; hire: to engage a worker; to engage a
3. to attract and hold fast: The novel engaged her attention and interest.
4. to attract or please: His good nature engages everyone.
5. to bind, as by pledge, promise, contract, or oath; make liable: He engaged
himself to repay his debt within a month.
engagement is a key trait of new media
Photo via Flickr user Enid Martendale
strong brands have engaged communities
Photo via Flickr user Eran Sandler
relevant question ideas
‣ “Why did you like this page?”
‣ “What kind of conversations do you want to have here?”
‣ “What was your first experience with our product?”
‣ “Can you tell us a story about you and our product?”
‣ “What can we do better?”
‣ “What did you like best about your new product?”
‣ “Did you like our new ad?”
other post ideas
‣ “Click Like if you agree!”
‣ “My favorite thing to do in the summer is _____________”
‣ “What other tips would you add to this list?”
‣ “True or False ...”
5xmore engaging than informational posts
Source: Likeable Media
click-t0-like posts are
Photo via Flickr user Dave McLear
do not delete (dnd) rule
Unless a comment is obscene, profane, bigoted, or contains someone’s personal
and private information, never delete it from a social network.
Source: Likeable Social Media, Kerpen
steps to dealing with upset customers
‣ Answer the Social Telephone — Quickly! 24 Hours
‣ Respond with Humanity & Humility
‣ Take the Matter Offline
‣ Deliver a Resolution Swiftly
‣ Don’t Feed the Trolls
‣ Leave a Record of Resolution Online
happy fans will tell the world
Photo via Flickr user ﬂoeschie
“if you build it, they will come.”
Photo via Flickr user decarr66
takes time to build
Photo via Flickr user Jameel Winter
‣ Engaging brands create an engaging community
‣ Engagement is created through authenticity, transparency, and trust
‣ Remember the key conversational ingredients — questions and answers
‣ Rules matter — especially the “mom rules”