A presentation to the United Way of
Whitewater Valley Vision Council
What you will learn:
• What is obesity? What is overweight?
• How does Wayne County stack up against the
rest of Indiana and the United States?
• What obesity programs already exist in Wayne
• What are some community approaches that
the UW-WV could apply here in Wayne
What is overweight/obesity?
• In general terms: Both overweight and obesity
are when one’s body mass index (BMI) is
• Body mass index is a measure of weight in
relation to height.
Obese Having a BMI at or above the 95th percentile for same age/sex.
Overweight Having a BMI between the 85th and 95th percentiles for same age/sex.
So, in theory, wouldn’t 15 percent of the youth
population be either overweight or obese?
— No. The “percentile” is based on population
surveys from the 1960s and 1970s.
0 10 20 30 40
— 2007 National Survey of Children’s Health.
— Whitewater Valley Childhood Obesity Task Force.
* Information is outdated.
Ages 2-5 (low income)
0 10 20 30 40
Source: 2008 Pediatric Nutrition Surveillance System survey
What’s Wayne County doing?
• Whitewater Valley Childhood Obesity Task
– Includes physicians, school nurses, dieticians,
pediatric nurses practitioners and other health
– STOP Program (Stop Taking On Pounds).
• 12-week program for children ages 7-17.
• Focuses on nutrition education, exercise, and
What’s Wayne County doing? (cont.)
• Recent programs in the schools
– Starr Elementary received a $1,000 grant last year
to hold a day-long event at the school’s gym to
promote healthy living.
– Centerville High School students in 2008 organized
• What does the Centers for Disease Control
– Farmer’s Markets.
– Encouraging breastfeeding.
– Improved access to outdoor recreation.
– Bike paths and sidewalks.
– Enhanced safety.
– Community coalitions.
What other United Ways are doing
• Selective approaches
– Helping fund new
– “Wellness, Academics
and You.” (Birmingham,
– New Orleans vegetable
Tarrant County (Texas) United
Way’s Fit Future program.
• “Go For Health” – United Way of Santa Cruz
• Greater Portland (Maine) “Healthy Weight
• “FitFuture” in Tarrant County, Texas.