• Improve the Index
• What Solr is storing
• How Solr indexes information
• Improve the Query
• What is being requested from Solr
• Improve the Results
• What is displayed to the user, and how they
navigate the search experience
SEARCH IN DRUPAL
Getting set up
Core index config Solr index config
Available with Solr
Spell checking Bias settings Suggestions
“More like this”
• Example from NIH.gov:
Instead of using Entity reference ﬁelds.
• You can conﬁgure multiple suggestion blocks
for speciﬁc content types or site sections.
• A block to allow users to alter sort.
Demo: What comes
• Enable the modules.
• Index the site. What is indexed?
• Spelling correction oﬀered out of the box,
diﬀerence with core search.
• Re-index, when does “cron” run?
• More like this block, place and conﬁgure.
• Search page conﬁguration under Pages/
Exercise 2: Configure Solr search
• A. Ensure search is installed and enabled
• B. Index site
• C. Review default results
• D. Conﬁgure your search page
• E. Place a “more like this” block on your site.
HOW TO IMPROVE
Boosting relevant results
• Search for sentences, phrases
• Optimize search for speciﬁc use cases
• More recent content, is it more relevant?
• Content with comments, are they more useful?
• Body content, use of H2 and H3?
• synonyms.txt -
Demo: Optimize results
• Bias settings
• When changes take eﬀect
• Before and after examples
Optimize your search results
A.Test search before changes
B.Improve the result biases
C.Testing the changes; how to check the
D.Improve term proximity results
E.Improve bias based on ﬁelds and terms
Filtering and displaying results
Offer facets people need
Do clients sort by
Use facets and
made.com, not a drupal site
Tips to define facets
• Listen to users
• Analyze query logs to deﬁne facets.
• Use popular words to label facets.
• Check competitors and across your industry.
• Choose important facets
• On which facets do people make decisions?
• Which features inﬂuence a purchase?
• Plan content types for searching
• Depends on your content model, taxonomy, ﬁelds!
How are our users searching?
• What facets would you enable on this site?
• Users expect the search form to be... where?
• Should be easy to reﬁne
• Incremental construction
• Display the query
• Easy to read key information
Beyond the defaults
• Default results don’t show relevant data speciﬁc to
your site: dates, numerical data, location maps.
• Landing page revealing the content
• Better search bar with suggestions!
• Key information in results with custom displays.
• Paths which are easy to share and navigate.
Location data in search
• Takes the
of the search,
to the query.
Demo: Location results
• Use Display Suite to display a location on a
• Which modules work best
• Tips about handling Location data
• A custom code example- using location as a
factor in search.
• Search training Location module
• Location Search module
Exercise 6: Display
• Requires: The Display Suite modules, GMap,
GMap Location, Geocoder.