Ask what the landscape of the audience is. - Usability Experts - Designers - Developers - Writers
- Administrator who need to touch everything to take credit - To combat those &#x2018;okay fine&#x2019; decisions
...Oh yea and dont forget about
Notice student&#x2019;s are not on the list? - Have just one main contact, get signoff&#x2019;s for everything.
No joke, include them in everything, make their life easier otherwise they will bitch all day long to make your clients life miserable. Listen to all input.
Don&#x2019;t diver right into design, get to the meat and design around that.
Explain theirs first, then yours then throw something weird in the mix.
Woopra. It turns visitors from numbers to individuals.
See every visitor, where they came from, where they went, what they ate for breakfast. This is not something you could see with Google Analytics
If your site does not accomplish what you envisioned. - Change and try try again.
- What it comes down to is users dont want an experience, they want your content.
MIUPA - Focus on Your Users
FOCUSING ON USERS
WHO I AM
Director of Web Communications at
Wayne State University
• Host of EDU Checkup.
10 minute Web site reviews through the eyes of a prospective student
• Staff writer at .eduGuru
• Ofﬁcer for Refresh Detroit
WHY WE ARE HERE
• Explain my experience working in Higher Education
• Create a plan, test and modify based on real users
• Experience makes you stand out
• 10 second test for primary objectives
• Does accessibility really matter?
• Board of Governors
• Chief of Staff
• Associate Vice President of Marketing
• Associate Director of Web Communications
• Web Workers
• Provost • Faculty
• Dean’s • Overactive Staff
• Admissions • TheDean’s son’s friend’s
cousin who does web sites
• Computing on the side
IT STARTS WITH THE
Without them on your side you’re screwed.
YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND
HOW TO STAND OUT WHEN
EVERYONE SELLS YOUR
• Don’t try to be clever
• Would a web experience be the deciding factor for you to
attend a university?
• More than likely it can be a detractor
• Out of date content is the biggest issue
WORKFLOW OF A
• Do they have the degree I want?
Is this place going to be fun?
• What are the requirements?
Am I going to get a job after I graduate?
• How do I apply?
Why do I have to create an account?
• Where is my ﬁnancial aid?
REAL 10 SECOND TEST
the three next steps or impressions for a user to your
• Havesomeone who didn’t work on the site pick someone in
your primary audience
• Havethem put your site in front of them for 10 seconds and
see what they remember
• Ask them what they would click on or do next
• Relying on Flash sucks but soo many people do it
• Make sure mobile is an option
• Don’t forget to clean up your print style
• MinifyJS and CSS
Fast loading pages get more pages views per visitor