What is Voice?
Voice is the form of the verb that shows
whether the subject is performing the
The City was explored by Dora.
A meal was prepared by the chef.
A dog was given to her brother by
A verb is passive if the
subject is the receiver of the
The students will be divided into 3
groups. The sentences will be shown on the
screen; the first group who will raise their
hand is the first one to answer. The students
will orally identify the voice of the verb in each
sentence then change the form.
1. Diane measures the perimeter.
A. The perimeter is measured by Diane
2. Paul uploads videos every week on
A. Videos are uploaded by Paul every week
3. Thomson discovered the electrons.
A. The electrons are discovered by Thomson.
4. She writes a letter.
A. A letter is written by her.
5. Carl will teach the children.
A. The children will be taught by Carl.
6. These vases were molded by Chinese
P. Chinese potters molded these vases.
7. Houses were destroyed by the earthquake.
P. The earthquake destroyed houses.
8. The fans carried a big banner.
A. A big banner was carried by the fans.
9. A servant is employed by him.
P. He employs a servant.
10. We celebrate the Golden Jubilee of our
A. The Golden Jubilee was celebrated by our
Identify the following statements
whether it is a simile, metaphor, oxymoron,
apostrophe, hyperbole, rhyme scheme,
1. "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never
know what you're going to get."
2. You are the rainbow of my colorless life.
3. Blind justice was not on his side.
4. I had so much homework last night that I
need to pick up trucks to carry all my books
5. My sister is having a heavy diet.
6. You sting like a bee.
7. She wears a long fur coat of mink
Even in the summertime
Everybody knows from the coy little wink
The girl's got a lot on her mind
8. Oh, rose, how sweet you smell and how
bright you look!
9. That child is a bear when he is sleepy.
10. 'The people along the sand
All turn and look one way.
They turn their back on the land.
They look at the sea all day.
On a one whole sheet of paper
A. Write A in the blanks before the
number if the sentence is active and
P if passive.
____1. Merliz presents an interesting
____2. The village was destroyed by fire.
____3. They killed the enemies.
____4. A car knocked down the child.
____5. The president was given a grand
welcome by the people.
B. Rewrite the sentences in passive
1. Nikki bakes a lot of cookies.
2. The doctor examines the patient.
3. They enjoyed the tour very much.
C. Rewrite the sentences in active
1. The big temple of Tanjore was built by
2.. Many stories were told by Bibo.
3. He was appreciated by everyone.
1. Veron make a lesson for today.
2. A book was published by PAYAWAL
3. Sweet candies were made by my
4. Anthony made the strawberry cake.
5. 9-Galilei plays badminton every Sunday.
6. The ball was kicked by Aaron.
7. A student was expelled by the principal.
8. We joined the tour for education students.
9. The report was accepted by the
10. Ellen leaves her cellular phone on the