• Fabrication of furnace which is compact but achieves a
high temperature is a difficult task.
• Also cost of furnace plays major role in fabrication.
• Our attempt through this project is to design and
fabricate a furnace which is compact in size but still
achieve a high temperature and economical.
• Furnace is a device used for heating the material to
change their shape and properties.
• Nowadays many types of furnaces are available which
has good temperature range but its limitation is size and
• For laboratory purpose, Furnace required should be
compact in size and still can achieve high temperature.
Electrical Resistance Furnace(ERF)
• ERF uses principle of indirect heating.
• Refractory material tightly wounded by wire of metallic
alloy(i.e. Kanthal, Nikrothal).
• 2- AC supply is passed through the wire.
• Internal resistance opposes the flow of current and hence heat
• Heat is passed Through refractory material and by radiation
as well as convection this heat is transferred to the charge.
1. Ceramic pipe
2. Kanthal wire (kanthal A-1 / Cr-Fe-Al)
3. Fire bricks
4. Glass wool
8. POP or lime or MgO or Al2O3
• We are expected to achieve a temperature around
1000 ̊C, in a furnace which is compact in size and
• It can be used for specimen heating in laboratory.