What do journalists want? What makes a great press release? How can I win more media coverage? The answers are all here in our updated Media Survey.
1. NewsMaker surveyed over 2,000 Australian Journalists across business, technology, lifestyle and general news. All media types were represented.
2. How do journalists source their stories?
3. What’s the vital ingredient journalists are looking for? “Having a specific region mentioned in the subject line/headline catches my eye more than anything.”
4. Get to the point with a strong summary. “I like to read a one paragraph synopsis which will either capture my attention or not. That's more important than a headline.”
5. “Anything longer than a par of two is going to be too complicated to tell on radio”
6. PITCH SUMMARY EXAMPLE: What: When: Where:.Why?:
7. One big negative is when it leaves me asking “ ‘why would anyone care about this?’
9 OUT OF 10 Journalists Say Research/Stats most important for Release.
8. WHAT JOURNALISTS SAID WOULD HELP YOUR PITCH“Opportunity to contact the sender for extra, exclusive quotes/details, and ability to source further information to flesh out a complete story that can stand on its merit.”
9. Make contact details clear – and make sure your media contact is available
10. “Give us links to download videos, audio and large photos if we want to, rather than attaching them to an email.”
11. Great Images and Video improve your chances for visual media
12. 93% PREFERRED A TEXT BASED EMAIL 1. Text-based email 2. Text and a PDF 3. PDF alone 4. Phone 5. Social media 6. Postal mail 7. Fax
13. “Include it in the body of an email, do NOT expect me to click to open another document. Too busy.”
14. “Lack of obvious spin or clumsy branding references, basis for claims, relevance to my readership, clear language, simple formatting -- in short, does it inform my readers? = yes. Does it attempt to sell at my readers = No.”
15. “Provide 2 or more viewpoints so it’s not a product flog”
16. “Newsworthiness - don't bury the lead, and don't make me read a page and a half to find a key fact / quote / statistic.”
17. “Professionalism, speedy response times, willing to go the extra mile”
18. The next NewsMaker User Group webinar will focus on our new international platform, launching soon! To register or for a personal demo, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone +61 (0)414697071 @newsmaker www.newsmaker.com.au