Windows 95 & 98 Network Configuration
These instructions are for a computer that already has a network
card (NIC) installed.
Please make sure you have obtained a user account and password from the IT Services
Dept. Save your work and close all applications. A network cable must be connected from
the wall to your computer.
1. Right mouse click on "Network Neighborhood" and left click on "Properties". This will
open a window called "Network."
2. Make sure under the "Primary Network Logon" field that "Client for Microsoft Networks" is
chosen. Click on "Client for Microsoft Networks" in the list at the top and then click on the
"Properties" button. This will bring up a window called "Client for Microsoft Windows"
3. Check the box "Log on to Windows NT Domain." In the field under "Windows NT Domain"
type "RIVNET." Then click on "OK"
4. Click on TCP/IP -> "Description_of_your_Ethernet_adapter." Click on the Properties
button. This will bring up a window called "TCP/IP Properties."
5. Here, "Obtain IP Address Automatically" should be selected by default. If not, please
choose that bullet.
6. Click on the "DNS Configuration" tab. Click on the bullet "Enable DNS." In the host field,
add "RES_YOURLASTNAME" in all UPPERCASE letters. In the domain field, add
"campus.rivier.edu" in all lowercase letters. DNS and Domain suffix should be blank.
7. Click on the "Gateway" tab. This area should be blank. If any addresses appear in field
"Installed Gateways" click on the address and then click on the remove button.
8. Click on the tab "Windows Configuration." Click on the bullet "Use DHCP for WINS
Resolution." Then click on "OK" and this will bring you back to the "Network" box.
9. Click on the "Identification" tab. In the "Computer Name" field, type
RES_"YOURLASTNAME" in all UPPERCASE letters. Under the "Workgroup" field, type
"RIVNET" in all UPPERCASE letters. Then click on "OK"
10. You will be asked to restart your machine. Make sure all your work is saved and
choose "Yes" to restart your machine.
11. After you restart your machine, there should a prompt box called "Enter Network
Password." The Domain field should read "RIVNET." Here, you will need to enter your
Username and Password that was assigned to you by IT Services.