The State of NEKLS Networks
• Libraries that receive their primary tech support from NEKLS
currently have an extremely diverse array of hardware to manage.
• In the past NEKLS has largely relied on open source solutions.
• Open source vs Enterprise
• State Library Wi-Fi usage statistics requirement
• Unused Category 2 E-rate funds
• CenturyLink bandwidth issues and multiple connections
Open Source vs Enterprise Solutions
• Promotes “community”
• Broad development base
• Support is not guaranteed or even
• General uncertainty
• Lack of documentation
• Guaranteed support levels
• Licensing fees
• Higher costs
• Dealing with Sales people
Wi-Fi Usage Statistics
• Starting this year we are going to be required to provide
Wi-Fi usage statistics to the State Library.
• Locations with Unifi Access Points in place should be
• Statistics are only being collected as long as the
controller software is running.
• Unifi statistics only go back 30 days before they are gone
E-rate: Category 2 Funds
• Funding is available for:
• Internal broadband and Wi-Fi
• LAN/WAN wired and wireless components including cabling, switches, routers, racks
and UPS. Installation and maintenance of these items is eligible for funding as well.
• Managed LAN and Wi-Fi services (referred to as Managed Internal Broadband)
• Caching services
• Category 2 Budgets
• For Libraries your five year Category 2 Budgets is calculated by the following formula:
Total Square Feet x $2.30 = Category 2 Budget
With a minimum of $9,200 if the library is less than 4,000 square feet.
Working with Category 2 Budgets
• Library X E-rate Discount
Percentage = 80%
• Library X Total Square Feet =
• Library X Category 2 Budget =
• Library X Category 2 funding
request = $7,500
• Discount % x Funding Request
= E-rate commitment
• 80% x $7,500 = $6,000
• Library X is responsible for
the remaining $1,500
• The five year budget now has
$3,200 remaining for future
What is the Next Step?
• Contact NEKLS technical staff if you are interested.
• Create a 470 for Category 2 services. Feel free to list either Dan or
myself as technical contacts. Please consult with us before
releasing any 470 so that we can make sure we get the correct
information out there to the vendors.
• Prepare your board for the upfront cost. The tech team can also
come out and address any concerned parties.
• Play the hurry up and wait game.
If you have any questions please give us a call at
the office or email us at: