Neev capabilities in building video and live streaming apps
Architecting Applications for
Video Streaming Portals
Rich Internet Apps
250+ team with experience in
managing offshore, distributed
Neev Technologies established
in Jan ’05
VC Funding in 2009 By Basil
Part of Publicis Groupe
Member of NASSCOM.
Development Centers in
Bangalore and Pune.
Offices at Bangalore, USA,
Delhi, Pune, Singapore and
Key Company Highlights
Windows Phone 7
User Interface Design and User Experience Design
Performance Consulting Practices
Quality Assurance & Testing
AWS Consulting Partner
Google App Engine
Outsourced Product Development
• Neev has worked with more than 15 B2C companies building or enabling
applications in the domain of video/live streaming. Our clients are spread
across verticals including Media and Entertainment, Education, Social
Networks and direct consumer applications.
• Design, build, deploy and maintain applications that are stable and reliable
and could even work on slow internet connections.
• Streaming servers: Wowza Media Server, Flash Media Server, Darwin
• Encoding and Transcoding Software: FF Mpeg, Zencoder, Encoding.com, AWS
• Media Format: mp4, flv, avi, mp3.
• Protocols: RTMP, RTMPPE, HLS, HTTP, Progressive downloads, RTP/RTSP.
• CDNs: Cloud Front (AWS), Akamai, Bit Gravity.
Neev’s expertise on Streaming Media applications
• Java and Open Source Software – Java, J2EE, Spring, Hibernate, JMS, JPA,
• Web 2.0 and Rich Client – JSF, Ruby on Rails, PHP, Groovy on Grails, GWT,
• Application and Web Servers – Apache, Tomcat, JBOSS.
• Mobile Development – iPhone/iPad, Android and Blackberry, Mobile Web,
RESTFul and SOAP web services, GPS & location aware, Bluetooth, offline
data and synch.
• Social Media – Integration with Facebook, Twitter.
• Cloud Computing and migration – Development for public clouds AWS,
Google App Engine, cloud application monitoring.
• UI/UX Process - Heuristic Analysis, Interaction Design, Visual design, HTML-
Neev’s expertise on Web Technologies
Key areas Neev evaluate before development
• Underlying technology: Evaluate the need and fitment of
the technology options. This will also depend on the mode
of rendering the content, including mobile platforms.
• Streaming Media Servers.
• Encoding and transcoding software.
• Streaming Protocol to be used.
• Media file formats.
• Hosting infrastructure: Depending on the content volume
and the number of users, suitable infrastructure has to be
• Technical Assessment and Design
• Product/Application development
• Application architecture re-design or improvement
• Social Media Integration
• Payment gateway and other third party integration
• Application Support and Maintenance
• Performance tuning and scaling
• Deployment on Cloud, monitoring and hosting management
Project Management Tools
Knowledge Capture Tools
• Test Case Driven testing
• Feature/Functionality level QA
• Daily/hourly Builds
• Smoke tests
• Early Stage Integration Testing
• Detailed Communication of the
• outcome of the various QA
• Impact Analysis of Bug Fixes
• Constant Process Improvements
• User Acceptance Tests
Case Study: Myplex
Myplex.tv is the flagship service of Apalya. Apalya holds a monopoly in
India in mobile video content streaming market. Apalya’s white-label
platform is used by various telecom majors like Airtel, Vodafone for
providing mobile TV streaming services. The client wanted to build a video
streaming application to deliver the content on mobile devices.
1. The biggest challenges to deliver content on mobile devices are: the devices are thin clients and the mobile
networks have slower speeds.
2. Given the nature of users, the application has to be deployed on the cloud. Further, most of the scaling processes
have to be automated.
3. Neev designed, developed and deployed a fully scalable cloud-based application architecture that could support
heavy traffic and heavy content which is typical of a video content portal.
4. Neev deployed a cross-functional team that focused on: Scalable Architecture and Design, Server
Commissioning, Maintenance and Go-Live Support on Amazon Cloud, Project Planning and Configuration
Management strategy that enabled multi – track development, Automated Test Strategy using Sanity Case
5. Neev developed the backend infrastructure required for pre-processing all video content into 4 different video
formats (Low, Medium, High, Very High) to suit the consumer's network bandwidth capacity and video quality
6. In order to enable the video to play on various devices, the solution was enabled to stream content in various
formats such as RTMP, RTMPE, RTSP, HTTP.
Case Study : Tubifi
Making Video Ads is expensive. Tubifi.com wanted to make this process affordable. It is a SaaS based
video compiling and editing platform which brings down the cost of video ad creation from $80K to
$6K – a whopping 92%. Video editors can try different video/audio footages and purchase the ones
they (or the end customer) like. Tubifi’s key differentiator is the integration with Stock Footage
Vendors (like Getty images, Pond5, Killer tracks). The vision of Tubifi is to create a common platform
for ad-consumers, video stock providers and ad-creators.
1. Neev started engaging with the Tubifi team at an early stage. Neev helped in creating a roadmap of the product. Neev
also developed the features in a phased manner to build a functional MVP. This was needed to acquire investors; a
quick launch to gather user base and further addition of features to stay ahead of competition.
2. Neev developed a feature wherein an user can drag and drop videos on the timeline. Different videos and audios can
be then be joined together in a simple gesture. Videos can also be inserted, split, overwritten, and trimmed in the
3. For purpose of exhibiting to clients, compositions created can be duplicated and downloaded once purchase is
completed. The downloaded composition can be used in other Desktop solutions. Compositions can also be
downloaded as mp4 to share with the clients.
4. Other features developed include: Two Video and Audio tracks with additional Voice over tracks to support multiple
clips are also provided. Titles can also be added with different styles for a composition.
5. Transcoding and Download of purchased stock footage is separated from Video Editor and back-end system takes care
of these processes. All the stock purchase happens in the back-end. The requests are queued in Amazon SQS and are
executed in back end. This way the downloads are optimized for traffic and bandwidth usage while the user need not
be present online.
Case Study : Tubifi
• Java – To keep the App light
• Flex Player – Video Player
• CAS – Single Sign-on Authentication
• MySQL – Database
• Twistage – Transcoding
• Amazon SQS – Queueing service
• Jenkins – Continuous Integration
• Authorize.Net – Payment Gateway
• Mp4, XML formats – Export Formats
High Availability Site Architecture for a Content Heavy Application:
Videos are streamed from Twistage.
As video data increases, App servers are scaled up without any downtime.
Eliminates any Single Point of Failures throughout the architecture.
Automated data back-ups.
Application restoration/re-deployment drills.
Case Study : Attend by Video
Attendbyvideo.com enables real-life knowledge sharing using audio,
video and file-sharing capabilities, between people from various
walks of life in an easy mutually rewarding manner.
1. The challenge was to design and build a system that could be used by first time users or
those with minimal knowledge of IT. Another challenge was to have a stable and reliable
audio/video/sharing interface that can work even on a slow connection.
2. Neev leveraged features provided by the APIs of Webex to provide a user interface for
sharing audio/videos/files. Through the portal, an user can schedule, conduct, join and
record sessions for future references.
3. The system was designed to have an intuitive UI which everyone can use.
4. The system makes use of 25 user licenses of Webex which are distributed in a token ring
basis among different users (logged in).
Case Study : Attend By Video
• Ubuntu – OS
• MySQL – Database
• Solr – Search Server
• Comm100 – Chat service for Customer Support
• Cisco Webex – Integrated with App using URL and XML API
provided by Webex – Web Conferencing Platform
• Subversion – Source Control
• Selenium RC – Testing Platform
• Sendgrid – Email Service
Amazon EC2/EBS/ELB/RDS/S3/Elastic Cache.
Monitoring Tools: Monit, Cloudwatch, Pingdom.
• End-to-end consultative approach for software solutions through needs assessment,
process consulting and strategic advice.
• Internal QMS are ISO 9001-2008 certified and CMM level 3 compliant.
• Continuous process and service level improvements through deployment of best-of-
breed processes and technologies.
• International Standards and best practices on Project Management including PMI, ISO
• Proven EDC Model of delivery to provide predictable results.
• Scrum based Agile development methodology.
The Neev Edge