Apalya - Building a Light-weight Video Streaming Portal
Building a Light-weight Video Streaming
Video Streaming Portals
Rich Internet Apps
Windows Phone 7
AWS Consulting Partner
Google App Engine
Key Company Highlights
250+ team with experience
established in Jan ’05
VC Funding in 2009 By Basil
User Interface Design and User Experience Design
Performance Consulting Practices
Part of Publicis Groupe
Member of NASSCOM.
Development Centers in
Bangalore and Pune.
Quality Assurance & Testing
Outsourced Product Development
Bangalore, USA, Delhi, Pune
, Singapore and Stockholm.
Building a Lightweight Video Streaming Portal
• Neev designed, developed and deployed a fully scalable cloudbased application that could support heavy traffic, typical of a video
content streaming portal.
• Apalya holds a monopoly in India in the mobile video streaming
market. Apalya’s white-label platform is used by telecom majors like
Airtel and Vodafone for providing mobile TV streaming services.
• Apalya wanted to create a new product myplex.tv (my own
multiplex) and position it as the “Next Gen Netflix of India”.
• It was meant to be a platform where various content providers
would upload their content which would then be transformed to a
format that would facilitate streaming.
• Neev designed and built a scalable solution on top of Amazon cloud.
• With a web-based front-end and a mobile application for mobile access, this was a
true web-mobile-cloud integration.
• The solution provided cost savings with the help of cloud and also speeded up video
transcoding - launching new machines and doing transcoding in parallel whenever
computing power was needed for streaming.
• Video streaming was done using Wowza streaming server and Amazon Cloudfront.
The solution also integrated an Ad server which provided the ability to introduce
ads before, after or during the streaming.
Player integration – JW play
Filters for searching content
Bookmarking movies and positions within movies
Ratings, Integrated a comment service (for comments)
• Java / J2EE (Struts,; Spring; Hibernate; JSP; JS/CSS)
• AWS - EC2, S3, RDS, Auto-Scale, Cloud Front
• Wowza Streaming Server
• JW Player
JW player customization.
Supporting secure streaming in multiple streaming formats with rights
Secure and resumable uploads to the cloud.