Intellectual Property Rights Can Save
• Patent for the fountain pen
that could store ink
• Utility Model for the grip
and pipette for injection of
• Industrial Design: smart
design with the grip in the
shape of an arrow
• Trademark: provided on
the product and the
packaging to distinguish it
from other pens
• Companies such as IBM, Motorola, Philips, Canon,
Hitachi, Microsoft file over 1000 patents a year.
• IBM earns over US$ 1 billion a year from patent licensing
• US Patent License Royalties (in billions US$:
• Over 80% of the market value of Microsoft
derives from its intangible assets.
• The value of the Coca-Cola trademark
exceeds US$ 50 billion.
IP management (IPM) involves
ascertaining the company's intangible assets,
designing management processes to safeguard them, and
utilizing the IP assets to help determine the competitive edge
and formulate the growth strategy for the company.
It is essential to have good IP management practices in place
so that the company can benefit from their creative ideas and
IP Management As A Task
Management of Intellectual Property
Creation and utilization of intellectual
Maximizing the profits.
of IP Strategy
Consequences of not managing IP
• Failing to protect assets
• Infringing others assets
• duplication of efforts to redevelop
• loss of potential benefits (revenue,
reputation, industry development) from
failing to commercialize
• low moral and stifle innovation
Importance of IP Management
• Improved Financial Performance
• Unlocks hidden value of IP.
• Opportunity to generate cash from licensing.
• Enables cost savings and increased revenue.
• Improved Operational Performance
• Enables more informed decision making
by management by because of their
understanding of what IP assets are
owned, what is needed to operate and
their IP value.
• Improved accountability of resources
• Know what IP is known
• Know what IP is core , secondary or
surplus to activities.
• Improved Risk Management
• Minimizes risk of legal action for infringing.
The risk include potential damages,legal
costs and damaged reputations.