Quilotoa Loop, Ecuador´s hidden secret


Published on

Libro sobre el Quilotoa, con magníficas fotografías, mapas, anecdotas.. un muy interesante material para recorrer esta bella parte de nuestra tierra Ecuador

Published in: Travel, Business
1 Comment
No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Quilotoa Loop, Ecuador´s hidden secret

  1. 1. 1    
  2. 2. 2     The Quilotoa Loop Ecuador’s Hidden Treasure Susan  Schenck   Photography  by  Nate  Resnick     Copyright  2013  by  Susan  Schenck  and  Nate  Resnick.  All  rights  reserved.     Except  for  short  excerpts  intended  to  be  used  for  promotional  or  educational  purposes  only,  no  part  of   this  publication  may  be  reproduced  or  transmitted  in  any  form  or  by  any  means,  electronic  or   mechanical,  including  photocopying,  recording  or  by  any  information  storage  and  retrieval  system   without  prior  permission  from  the  author.       Disclaimer   The  purpose  of  this  book  is  to  dispense  information.  It  is  sold  for  information  purposes  only.  The  author   and  publisher  do  not  assume  any  responsibility  or  liability  arising  from  the  use  of  this  book.       Cover  design:  TC  Tahoe  at  tc@tctahoe.com   Cover  photo:  The  Quilotoa  Crater  Lake:  photo  taken  by  Nate  Resnick   Kindle  formatter:  Mike  Attisano  at  mattisano@yahoo.com      
  3. 3. 3       Dedicated  to  both  of  our  late  fathers,   who  instilled  in  us  a  spirit  of  adventure     and  appreciation  of  nature       Quilotoa  loop  area  with  Volcan  Illiniza  in  the  background     The  Quilotoa  area,  high  up  in  the  Andes  of  South  America,  lies  about  43  miles  or  70  kilometers   southwest  of  Quito,  Ecuador,  as  the  crow  flies.    Though  I’d  lived  in  Ecuador  for  over  three  years,  I’d   never  heard  of  these  majestic  mountains  and  villages  surrounding  the  Quilotoa  crater  lake—a   magnificent    sight  that  inspires  breathtaking  awe,  right  up  there  with  Niagara  Falls,  the  Grand  Canyon,   the  Sahara  Desert,  and  other  wonders  of  the  world.   Most  foreigners  who  live  in  Ecuador  have  never  heard  of  it.  Most  surprisingly,  even  many  Ecuadorians   I’ve  met  draw  a  blank  when  I  mention  this  hidden  treasure.   So  when  Nate,  a  professional  photographer  (whose  website  is  www.nateinecuador.com  ).    suggested  we   collaborate  on  a  book  about  this  largely  unknown  spot,  I  readily  agreed.  We  invited  our  friend  Peggy  to   go  with  us.     Join  us  on  our  journey!  
  4. 4. 4     Our  mission  with  this  photo  book  is  to  enlighten  as  many  people  as  possible  about  this  beautiful  area.  If   you  can  handle  the  altitude,  you  don’t  have  to  be  a  fit  hiker  to  enjoy  this  area.  You  can  still  see  most  of   the  sights  by  taking  a  bus  or  car.  .  .  or  even  riding  a  horse!     You  may  even  be  inspired  to  go  there  yourself.  When  you  get  ready  to  make  this  trip,  there  are  some   points  to  be  aware  of.  The  last  ATM  machine  you’ll  find  is  in  Latacunga.  Also,  be  prepared  to  get   unplugged!  Many  of  these  villages  have  no  Internet,  while  for  those  that  do,  the  connection  is  sketchy   and  very  slow.  (In  two  weeks,  there  were  only  two  days  I  could  answer  a  few  emails.)  Even  cell  phone   connections  are  unreliable.     Be  aware  of  the  Ecuadorian  tradition  that  when  you  book  a  room  at  a  hostel,  you  usually  pay  per  person   rather  than  per  room.  So  often  it’s  just  as  cheap  for  a  couple  to  have  separate  rooms—great  to  know  if   one  of  them  snores!     The  hostels  are  inexpensive  but  often  not  what  you  may  be  used  to.  Bring  sandals  for  when  you  shower.   That’s  a  lesson  I  learned  in  my  20s  after  getting  athlete’s  foot  in  a  hotel  shower.  To  this  day  I  get   occasional  flare  ups!     Bring  a  warm  sweater—or  better  yet,  don’t.  You’ll  be  overwhelmed  with  inexpensive  alpaca  sweaters  for   sale.  Be  sure  to  bring  raingear,  gloves,  sunscreen,  hiking  boots,  and  of  course,  a  camera.  If  you  bring  a   phone,  get  Claro  rather  than  Movistar.  In  some  of  the  villages,  Claro  is  the  only  cell  phone  that  has   reception.     Bring  plenty  of  cash,  and  especially  small  bills  like  $10  or  under.  Change  is  hard  enough  to  get  in  Cuenca   (the  third  largest  city  of  Ecuador)—but  even  scarcer  higher  up  in  the  Andes.  Credit  cards  are  almost   never  accepted.     Note  that  when  I  don’t  list  the  hostel  address,  it’s  because  the  village  is  so  small,  there  is  no  address  (or   none  required).  You’ll  find  the  place  easily  enough  due  to  the  size  of  the  town.     Also  note  that  that  your  mileage  may  vary—my  pedometer  readings  may  be  a  bit  off,  making  the   mileage  as  much  as  10  to  15%  higher.  Time  is  the  most  important  variable:  figure  that  it  takes  about  an   hour  to  go  a  mile  due  to  the  uneven  terrain.       September  17,  2013:  from  Cuenca  to  Alausí   Nate,  Peggy,  and  I  all  met  at  the  bus  station  (terminal  terreste)  in  Cuenca,  Ecuador  at  8:00  AM.  Since  I   detest  sitting  in  buses,  we  decided  to  take  two  days  to  get  there.  We  caught  a  bus  to  Alausí,  a  four-­‐hour   drive  that  costs  $5.00.  Alausí  (elevation  3,323  meters,  or  10,902  feet)  is  a  tiny  town  of  about  6,000   inhabitants,  famous  for  its  switchback  train  ride  known  as  Naríz  del  Diablo  which  means  “devil’s  nose.”   Rides  cost  $25  ($14.50  for  anyone  65  or  older)  and  are  offered  at  8:00  AM,  11:00  AM,  and  3:00  PM  on   most  days.  The  ride  is  40  minutes  each  way  and  when  you  get  to  the  destination  there  is  a  small  meal,   indigenous  dancing,  a  little  museum,  and  artesanos  (handicrafts)  for  sale.  
  5. 5. 5     Approaching  Alausí   The  buildings  surrounding  the  train  track  are  picturesque  in  a  Disneyland  sort  of  way—colonial  in  style   and  painted  bright  pink,  orange,  turquois,  green,  etc.     As  luck  would  have  it,  there  are  no  3:00  rides  on  Tuesdays  so  we  missed  out  (though  Nate  had  already   done  the  ride  months  ago).     We  stayed  at  the  Hotel  Europa,  costing  us  only  $10  each  for  separate  rooms—but  sharing  public   bathrooms.  We  walked  along  a  platform  with  an  environmental-­‐educating  mural  painted  on  the  wall.   Finally,  we  walked  along  a  new  railroad  track  bridge  (“Puente  Negro”)  that  will  eventually  lead  to  rides   to  Quito.    We  saw  several  school  children  fearlessly  walking  this  track  that  bridged  over  a  canyon.     We  walked  around  the  town,  up  to  the  majestic  statue  of  San  Pedro,  made  of  colorful  mosaics  and  high   up  on  a  platform  with  stairs  leading  up.  It’s  only  one  of  several  miradores  (lookouts)  overlooking  the   valley.  Nate  bet  us  both  a  beer  that  he’d  beat  us  by  taking  an  alternate  route.  He  lost.  He  later  paid  up   by  getting  us  each  a  24-­‐oz.  Pilsener  (a  popular  and  inexpensive  local  beer)  for  $1.50  a  bottle  at  a  Chinese   restaurant.  As  we  drank  our  beer,  we  noted  the  children  playing  ball  in  the  streets.  There  were  so  few   cars  in  the  town  (most  of  them  parked)  that  they  didn’t  perceive  any  danger  in  this.    
  6. 6. 6     Statue  of  San  Pedro  in  Alausí   Finally,  we  ate  at  a  hole-­‐in-­‐the-­‐wall  pizza  restaurant  with  only  two  tables.  The  one  we  ate  at  was  in  the   family  garage,  with  a  kid’s  bike  and  a  baby  stroller  adorning  the  walls!     I’m  not  much  at  long  bus  rides  so  Alausí  is  a  perfect  overnight  stop.  I’m  transcending  into  the  high   Andes.  I’m  finally  getting  out  of  my  Cuenca  comfort  zone  and  am  considering  this  adventure  to  be  a   spiritual  journey  in  addition  to  just  sightseeing.  It’s  also  a  journey  of  discovering  what  Ecuador  is  all   about.   September  18,  2013:  from  Alausí  to  Latacunga   In  Eucadorian  villages,  often  Nescafé  (a  powdered  coffee  that  has  very  little  flavor)  is  all  that’s  available.   And  as  the  saying  goes,  “Nescafé  no  es  café,”  meaning  that  it’s  not  real  coffee.  We  managed  to  find   some  real  coffee  in  a  bakery  around  the  corner,  where  we  downed  a  couple  of  expressos.    
  7. 7. 7     Me  shopping  in  Latacunga     We  hopped  on  a  bus  at  about  8:00  AM  to  Latacunga,  our  first  city  in  the  Quilotoa  region.  The  cost  for   this  four-­‐hour  ride  was  $4.00.  At  10:30  we  were  all  booted  off  the  bus.  There  weren’t  enough   passengers  to  make  the  trip  to  Latacunga  and  Quito  worthwhile.  But  when  a  policeman  came  by  to  hear   people  complain,  we  spotted  the  driver  slipping  him  some  money.  Nonetheless,  the  driver  was   commanded  to  refund  us  for  the  latter  part  of  the  trip  and  we  each  got  a  dollar.   Peggy  showed  us  some  photos  on  the  bus  ride:  the  guy  who  collected  the  money  from  us  had  been   making  out  with  a  woman,  all  over  and  on  top  of  her.  Not  too  discrete!     We  caught  another  bus  to  Latacunga,  a  city  of  about  87,000  residents,  which  spearheaded  the  Quilotoa   Loop.  The  elevation  is  about  9,186  feet  or  2,800  meters.  We  got  situated  in  a  hotel  for  $15  each  on   Quito  Street,  Hotel  Rosim,  which  has  a  link  at  http://www.hotelrosim.com/index.html.   Next  we  hiked  around  the  city,  enjoying  a  small  lake  with  paddle  boats  and  walking  by  a  river.  While  I   did  yoga  and  Nate  took  a  nap  on  the  lawn,  Peggy  was  talking  to  nine  teenagers  in  the  park:  all  of  them   were  on  Facebook.    
  8. 8. 8     La  Laguna  in  Latacunga     We  noted  a  big  difference  in  the  indigenous  women:  they  were  slim  and  wore  shorter  skirts,  mostly   black  (as  opposed  to  the  colorful  ones  in  Cuenca).  Instead  of  Panama  hats,  both  genders  here  wore  felt   hats  which  sometimes  had  a  peacock  feather  in  them.  We  learned  these  hats  were  not  cheap,  costing   about  $75,  but  lasted  a  long  time  and  were  water-­‐proof.     One  question  I  pondered:  why  were  the  indigenous  women  so  slim,  while  in  Cuenca  they  were  round   and  apple-­‐shaped?     Diet  could  be  a  factor,  though  I  noticed  the  diets  were  similar.  Perhaps  those  high  up  didn’t  drink  as   many  sugary  soft  drinks,  for  example.     I  concluded  that  in  part  that  the  assimilation  of  the  young  was  a  factor  in  making  it  appear  that  those  in   the  Andes  were  slimmer:  in  the  Andes,  the  young  women  were  not  as  integrated:  they  still  wore  the   traditional  outfits.  So  in  Cuenca,  they  assimilated  and  sported  tight  jeans,  not  standing  out  as   indigenous.  Latacunga  doesn’t  get  much  tourism  because  Quito  is  only  a  two-­‐hour  bus  ride  away.  There   are  also  few  people  of  Spanish  descent.  All  of  this  adds  up  to  less  influence  on  modern  fashion.  The   indigenous  stick  to  their  traditions  much  more.     That  was  only  part,  though.  Even  the  older  indigenous  women  were  notably  slimmer  than  those  in   Cuenca.  I  concluded  that  the  higher  altitude  was  a  factor—as  I  explain  in  my  book  Expats  in  Cuenca,   Ecuador:  The  Magic  &  The  Madness,  high  altitude  means  burning  more  calories—and  even  100  a  day   adds  up  to  ten  pounds  a  year!  Then  I  learned  that  the  altitude  in  Latucunga  is  only  about  1,000  feet   higher  than  that  of  Cuenca.     I  decided  the  factor  was  probably  mostly  due  to  walking:  the  25-­‐cent  buses  mean  less  walking  for  those   in  Cuenca.  Latacunga  is  such  a  relatively  small  town  that  most  people  simply  walk  everywhere.  
  9. 9. 9     We  went  in  search  of  some  dark  chocolate,  which  took  about  an  hour  to  find,  after  asking  quite  a  few   people.  Finally  we  stocked  up  on  a  few  large  bars,  knowing  this  could  be  our  last  chance  as  we  headed   higher  up  in  the  Andes.     Me  walking  around  Latacunga     This  will  be  my  last  night  before  tackling  the  unknown  of  the  Andes  highlands.  I  have  a  sense  of   foreboding,  as  well  as  the  mystical  and  intriguing.     September  19,  2013:  from  Latacunga  to  Tigua   As  we  hit  the  streets  at  7:30  AM  we  realized  chocolate  was  not  the  only  thing  that  was  scarce—real   coffee  was  also  hard  to  find  this  early  in  the  morning.  People  were  getting  haircuts  and  the  streets  were   alive  with  children  going  to  school.  But  where  could  we  find  a  cup  of  coffee?  Funny  how  so  many  people   in  Ecuador,  known  for  its  coffee  and  chocolate,  didn’t  relish  their  most  popular  exports.  We  finally  got  a   cup  at  a  hotel  that  opened  at  8:00.     Next  we  walked  to  the  bus  terminal  and  got  $1.00  tickets  to  Tigua,  a  very  small  village  with  an  elevation   of  11,482  feet  or  3,500  meters.  A  three-­‐day-­‐old  calf  joined  us  in  the  luggage  department.  An  indigenous   man  explained  that  he  bought  the  fellow  for  $45  because  the  newborn  calf  of  one  of  his  cows  had  died.     In  about  hour  we  arrived  at  Tigua  and  walked  with  our  backpacks  to  the  Posada  de  Tigua,  where  we’d   stay  the  night.  http://www.amigosdelasaps.org/content/la-­‐posada-­‐de-­‐tigua/edrACEFFE65E00E0AF34     While  walking  along  the  freeway,  a  fierce  Andean  wind  blew  me  completely  horizontal!  I  had  grown  up   in  Indiana  where  the  winter  winds  could  go  up  to  50  miles-­‐per-­‐hour,  and  I’d  never,  ever  experienced   being  blown  over  like  this.     Extremely  alarmed,  I  noted  that  had  I  been  standing  a  foot  to  the  right,  I  would’ve  fallen  enough  that  I   surely  would  have  broken  some  bones,  if  not  my  neck!  In  fact,  I  may  have  died.    
  10. 10. 10     I  got  away  from  the  curb  and  joined  my  two  friends  as  we  took  a  short  cut  through  the  hills.  Even  though   it  meant  walking  steep  downhill,  which  I  detest,  it  would  keep  up  from  being  knocked  over  by  the  strong   winds.     As  we  neared  the  inn  where  we’d  be  interviewing  the  owners,  Nate  reminded  me  to  “look  professional   by  taking  notes.”  I  showed  him  my  notebook  that  I’d  bought  for  25  cents  at  a  stationery  store  in  Cuenca:   a  cartoon  of  “little  boy  blue  blowing  his  bugle”  was  on  the  cover!     Posada  de  Tigua     As  we  neared  the  entrance  of  a  magnificent  looking  ranch  house,  we  passed  cows  and  sheep  along  with   their  little  ones,  as  well  as  llamas,  geese,  ducks,  and  dogs.  Owners  Margarita  and  Marco  Rodriguez-­‐ Boada  gave  us  a  tour:  the  inn  has  four  guest  rooms  with  private  baths  and  two  with  no  bathrooms.  The   owners  stay  in  one  without  a  bathroom  so  that  their  guests  will  have  that  option.     Llamas  in  Tigua     The  place  has  a  very  unique  “ranch”  feeling.  Antiques  adorn  every  room  and  hallway—with  old  radios   sprinkled  everywhere,  along  with  antiques  such  as  a  sewing  machine,  phonograph,  lanterns,  an  iron,  etc.   Sheepskins  provide  floor  décor.  There  is  a  wooden  stove  and  after  I  hand  washed  some  clothes,  I   learned  that  metal  sticks  could  be  opened  that  hover  over  it,  so  that  the  clothes  can  dry  while  hanging   over  the  fire.  There  is  even  an  old  jukebox  filled  with  songs  in  Spanish!  A  huge  Bible  in  Spanish  is  in  the   living  room.     A  huge  part  of  land  used  to  belong  to  Marco’s  great  great  grandfather,  but  in  the  1960s  the  government   made  laws  that  land  had  to  be  dispersed  among  the  indigenous  families,  some  800  of  them.  Each   indigenous  family  would  divide  the  land  among  their  children.  But  eventually  the  land  would  be  split  up  
  11. 11. 11     into  such  small  plots  that  the  people  would  have  to  move  to  the  city  to  make  a  living.  As  a  result,  much   of  the  land  is  no  longer  used  for  farming.     Posada  de  Tigua     As  for  Marco  and  Margarita,  about  nine  years  ago  they  decided  to  turn  their  ranch  into  an  inn,  which   they’ve  had  great  success  with.  There  are  three  dining  tables  because  sometimes  a  tour  bus  will  stop   there  for  dinner,  if  not  to  spend  the  night.  There  is  no  wifi  or  cable  Internet,  so  Margarita  has  to  call  her   sister  in  the  city  to  find  out  if  any  reservations  have  been  made.   The  owners  remarked  about  how  the  climate  had  radically  shifted  in  the  past  decade.  By  now  there   should  be  rain,  for  example.  The  cold  and  warm  temperatures  have  gotten  extreme,  and  at  times  in  the   past  ten  years  there  have  even  been  mosquitoes.  There  used  to  be  thousands  of  little  black  frogs;  now   there  are  none.  Now  flowers  can  be  planted  for  export.  Since  the  wind  sometimes  blows  down  the   green  houses,  farming  became  less  profitable,  which  led  to  the  concept  of  having  an  inn.  They   supplement  that  income  by  selling  milk  to  places  in  Latacunga  for  32  cents  a  liter.     Marco  told  us  that  he  loves  the  geese,  and  while  they  eat  their  eggs,  the  birds  are  meant  only  for   adornment.  If  his  wife  threatens  to  eat  any  of  them,  he  will  tease  her  that  he  intends  to  eat  her  llamas.   Together  they  enjoy  all  the  animals  on  their  hacienda  (ranch).     After  a  lunch  of  delicious  homemade  soup,  we  tackled  the  high  uphill  climb  to  the  various  artesano   handicraft  galleries.  Yes,  we  could’ve  taken  the  long  way  and  gone  by  the  freeway,  but  we  preferred  the   shortcut  going  steep  uphill.  We  were  instructed  to  avoid  a  certain  route  that  could  entail  some  angry   dogs.  When  we  got  to  the  top  of  the  hill,  we  were  delighted  to  find  all  sorts  of  handicrafts,  including   knitted  wool  hats,  paintings  (such  as  unique  ones  done  on  feathers!),  alpaca  sweaters  and  scarves,   painted  masks,  and  much  more.       While  hiking,  I  was  standing  below  an  outcropping  that  reminded  me  of  my  hike  to  the  top  of  the   formidable  Mandango  hill  in  Vilcabamba.  To  date  that  has  been  my  most  challenging  hike  in  Ecuador.  No   doubt,  the  Quilotoa  Lake  rim  would  be  harder.    
  12. 12. 12     Here  I  am  hiking  around  Tigua     In  the  evening  we  enjoyed  a  couple  of  beers  with  a  couple  from  Belgium,  two  medical  doctors  and  their   20-­‐year-­‐old  daughter  who  are  touring  Ecuador.  I  felt  like  I  was  back  in  Europe  as  I  was  speaking  not  only   English  and  Spanish,  but  also  French  and  German.     I  really  enjoyed  the  solitude  that  this  inn  offered.  With  nothing  but  fatal  darkness  this  moonless  night,  I   was  able  to  go  deeply  into  myself.   September  20,  2013:  from  Tigua  to  Zumbahua   Last  night  the  howling  Andean  winds  made  me  feel  glad  I  was  tucked  in  bed,  under  a  number  of  thick   wool  blankets.  I  pondered  how  the  animals  could  keep  warn  in  the  open  barn.     At  breakfast  we  were  served  Margarita’s  homemade  cheese  (queso  fresco)  and  yogurt.  Though  I  usually   don’t  eat  dairy,  I  couldn’t  resist  eating  a  bit  of  these  treats.  We  also  got  real  coffee  (not  Nescafé!),  bread   with  butter  and  jam,  and  eggs  to  order.     I  asked  the  couple  about  the  winds  and  how  I  could  hear  them  howling  last  night.  “Sometimes  there  is   no  wind,”  Margarita  stated.  “Other  times  the  winds  are  much,  much  stronger.  Last  night  was  not  so   fierce,  actually.”     I  still  thought  about  the  wind  that  had  blown  me  over  yesterday.  Would  I  be  able  to  do  the  crater  rim   walk  without  being  blown  over  to  my  death?  The  image  was  beginning  to  haunt  me.   After  breakfast,  it  was  time  to  leave.  Marco  drew  us  a  map  so  we  could  walk  to  the  next  city  of  our  tour:   Zumbahua,  with  an  elevation  of  12,467  feet  (3,800  meters).   We  each  walked  at  our  own  pace,  catching  up  or  waiting  for  each  other  periodically.  The  hike  took  five   hours  and  ended  up  being  about  8.6  miles  (about  14  kilometers).  Peggy  and  I  went  ahead  but  Nate,  who   way  over-­‐packed  (carrying  35  pounds),  wanted  to  rest  some  more.  I  had  learned  from  hiking  El  Camino  
  13. 13. 13     de  Santiago  in  Spain  earlier  this  year:  carry  no  more  than  10%  of  your  body  weight.  I  pared  down  my   backpack  contents  till  it  all  weighed  no  more  than  15  pounds,  though  I  weighed  about  123.     Peggy  and  me  on  the  road  to  Zumbahua     When  Peggy  and  I  arrived  at  Zumahua,  we  booked  rooms  at  the  Condora  hostel  for  $6  each.  Later  when   we  saw  that  the  shower  was  a  mere  trickle,  we  switched  to  the  Hotel  Quilotoa  for  $8  each.  The  water   there  wasn’t  very  strong,  either,  as  it  turned  out.  Even  the  Lonely  Planet  warned  that  in  this  city  you   needed  to  be  sure  to  have  your  flip  flops  while  showering,  as  things  are  not  clean.  I  knew  from  decades   ago  that  showering  in  cheap  hotels  without  wearing  sandals  would  give  me  athlete’s  foot,  an  extremely   uncomfortable  condition  I  battled  for  about  a  decade.     We  were  the  only  gringos  here.  In  fact,  we  were  likely  the  only  ones  of  European  descent—the  Spanish   conquistadores  didn’t  appear  to  have  settled  in  these  very  high  regions.     Approaching  Zumbahua     After  a  $2.50  almuerzo  (lunch),  I  went  in  search  of  an  Internet  cabin.  I  knew  the  next  few  days  would  not   include  Internet  access,  so  I  made  this  a  priority.  It  should  be  easy,  I  thought,  since  there  are  three  such   cabinas  in  town.  The  first  one  I  went  to  had  plastic  covering  the  keyboards.  A  nice  concept,  I  thought,   but  really  my  fingers  couldn’t  adapt.  One  had  to  be  really  adept  at  using  this.     I  went  to  another  cabina  but  my  password  didn’t  work—even  after  I  enlisted  help  from  the  teen  in   charge.  Finally,  I  went  to  another,  but  it  was  full  of  children  with  no  empty  computer.  As  a  last  resort  I   went  back  to  the  second  and  used  a  different  computer.  I  finally  got  into  my  email,  but  the  connection   was  so  slow,  I  just  checked  for  anything  that  might  be  important  and  then  left.  Interestingly,  all  three  
  14. 14. 14     centers  were  run  by  children  who  looked  like  they  might  be  13,  but  could  be  older  since  the  population   in  the  Andes  tends  to  be  shorter  than  in  Cuenca.     This  was  my  last  moment  of  Internet  addiction.  After  this,  I’d  care  less  and  less  about  what  emails  I   might  be  getting.  I  fully  surrendered  to  being  unplugged.   Town  square  of  Zumbahua     Zumbahua  has  been  the  most  indigenous  town  I’ve  been  in  since  coming  to  Ecuador  over  three  years   ago.  I  sense  that  I  am  not  only  not  in  Kansas,  but  also  pretty  far  from  Cuenca.     Meantime,  the  streets  were  being  paved  and  the  tar  was  fresh.  I  had  no  choice  in  my  search  for  an   Internet  cabina  but  to  step  a  few  times  on  this  tar.  My  shoes  had  lost  their  track  from  the  sticky  tar  and   three  times  I  almost  fell.  Would  I  fall  while  hiking  the  crater  lake  rim?     September  21,  2013:  from  Zumbahua  to  Quilotoa   I  noticed  that  I  had  not  been  sleeping  much  these  days—usually  only  two  or  three  hours  per  night.  Later   I  came  to  realize  it  was  the  altitude.  We  had  a  joke  that  whenever  something  didn’t  go  right,  we’d  blame   it  on  the  altitude.  But  sleep  has  been  an  issue  for  me  ever  since  I  moved  from  the  sea  level  of  San  Diego   to  the  2,530  meters  or  8,300  feet  mountains  of  Cuenca—and  now  I  was  going  much  higher.  Breathing   was  not  an  issue  for  me,  but  sleep  sure  was.     This  morning  we  were  awakened  by  the  booming  indigenous  music  that  surrounded  the  area’s  well   known  market,  right  in  the  square  in  front  of  the  hotel.  Everything  from  pig  heads  and  humitas   (Ecuador’s  version  of  tamales)  to  alpaca  ponchos  and  scarves  were  for  sale.  Nate  got  a  red  alpaca-­‐wool   blend  poncho  for  only  $25  and  persuaded  me  to  get  a  lovely  gray  alpaca  sweater  for  $20.  I  got  the  price   down  to  $15  because  the  vendors  were  anxious  to  make  their  first  morning  sale,  which  they  believe   brings  good  luck  in  getting  the  day  moving.  
  15. 15. 15       Saturday  market  at  Zumbahua   We  had  another  pseudo-­‐coffee  for  breakfast,  leaving  me  without  my  dopamine  fix  as  I  was  forced  to  get   weaned  from  the  real  stuff.  Since  our  backpacks  (especially  Nate’s)  were  getting  heavier,  and  since   Peggy  had  some  muscle  issues,  we  decided  to  have  some  drivers  take  us  the  7.9  miles  (12.7  kilometers)   to  Quilotoa,  with  its  elevation  of  12,841  feet  (3,914  meters).  The  hike  wasn’t  too  scenic  anyway,  since  it   was  just  along  the  road.  Since  there  are  no  taxis  per  se  in  this  area,  and  buses  don’t  come  till  around   2:00  PM,  hiring  a  driver  seemed  to  be  the  only  option.  In  any  case,  it  cost  only  $5  for  the  three  of  us.     Indigenous  skirts  for  sale  at  the  Zumbahua  market     In  about  15  minutes  we  got  to  Quilotoa,  with  an  elevation  of  12,841  feet  or  3,914  meters.  There  is  no   wifi  or  Internet  in  this  town  of  only  150  people,  so  it’s  the  ideal  place  to  get  unplugged  for  a  few  days.    
  16. 16. 16     Quilotoa     We  lodged  at  a  relatively  new  place  and  definitely  the  best  hotel  in  town:  Quilotoa  Crater  Lake  Lodge,   located  slightly  away  from  this  town  of  150  inhabitants.     Their  web  site  is  http://www.quilotoalodge.com.ec/   Quilotoa  Crater  Lake  Lodge     40  years  ago  this  area  had  been  barren,  but  the  tourism  business  gradually  encouraged  people  to  settle   in.     Next  it  was  time  to  see  the  much  underrated  crater  lake.  No  photos  Nate  took  could  do  it  justice:  the   sight  was  on  par  with  any  previous  wonders  I’d  ever  seen,  such  as  the  Niagara  Falls,  the  Grand  Canyon,   the  Canadian  Rockies,  and  the  Sahara  desert.  Why  had  I  lived  in  Ecuador  over  three  years  and  not  heard   of  this  majestic  former  volcano  now  filled  with  a  bright  turquois  lake?    
  17. 17. 17     The  majestic  Quilotoa  Crater  Lake     The  lake  is  a  water-­‐filled  caldera  believed  by  the  natives  to  be  without  a  bottom.  It’s  the  most  western   volcano  in  the  Ecuadorian  Andes.  The  rim  is  three  kilometers  or  two  miles  wide  and  it  typically  takes   four  to  six  hours  to  walk  the  perimeter.    The  high  variety  and  concentration  of  minerals  make  the  water   alkaline,  and  the  water  color  shifts  from  different  shades  of  green,  to  turquoise  and  blue.  Truly  this  is   the  most  majestic  sight  in  Ecuador,  if  not  all  of  South  America.  Three  distinct  snow-­‐capped  volcanoes   surround  the  laguna,  adding  immensely  to  the  beauty.     What  incredible  splendor  is  in  this  small  relatively  unknown  spot.  Only  a  handful  of  people  in  the  world   on  this  day  can  say  they  are  witness  to  this  transformative  sight.     The  closest  thing  in  the  USA  would  be  the  Havasupai  Falls  in  Arizona,  which  is  also  turquoise  in  color.     We  walked  1,200  feet  (366  meters)  down.  Normally  such  a  steep  downhill  trek  makes  me  so  cautious   that  I  can’t  enjoy  it—but  the  steady  gaze  of  the  lake  soothed  my  nerves.  Even  when  I  had  to  pass  the   dusty  part  where  there’d  been  a  rockslide  and  I  had  to  hold  on  to  a  rope  to  keep  from  falling,  it  didn’t   bother  me.  The  glorious  sight  of  the  lake  overpowered  my  senses.     For  those  who  don’t  feel  confident  about  walking  the  hike,  horses  can  be  rented  for  $8  downhill  and   another  $8  back  up.  Kayaks  are  available  for  $5  per  hour  per  person.  Just  as  hotels  are  rented  not  per   room,  but  per  person—so  are  the  kayaks,  which  seat  two  people.    
  18. 18. 18     Me  at  the  Princess  Toa  Hotel       We  noted  the  Princess  Toa  hotel:  these  are  rooms  for  rent  that  contain  no  electricity  or  running  water,   but  are  right  in  front  of  the  lake.  You  can  also  pitch  a  tent.  Sheltered  by  the  rim,  the  wind  down  there   won’t  be  as  much  of  a  problem.    In  order  to  book  one  of  these  rooms,  you  need  to  contact  Jose Jacome at josejacome67@hotmail.com and he will give you his cell phone so you can meet him in the town to get set up. In this region, the cell phone company Claro has service, but Movistar usually doesn’t. Here I am hanging out in the Quilotoa crater   We  went  hiking  a  bit  around  the  lower  areas  and  I  grabbed  onto  a  rock  for  support,  unknowingly   grasping  a  cactus  that  looked  like  a  fern.  Many  tiny  needles  pricked  my  hand,  which  I  plucked  out,  one   by  one.     Fortunately,  the  rocky,  dusty  trail  removed  nearly  all  the  tar  from  the  bottom  of  my  shoes.  The  wind  was   quite  mild  compared  to  that  of  Tigua,  but  I  still  had  to  remove  my  sun  visor  many  times  to  keep  it  from   blowing  away.    
  19. 19. 19     Kayaking  in  the  crater  lake     The  uphill  hike  took  an  hour  and  15  minutes.  It  was  tough  going  up  a  1,200  feet  (366  meters)  vertical   and  I  was  singing  in  my  mind,  “You’re  Only  Human”  by  Billy  Joel,  especially  the  part  where  he  goes,   “Don’t  forget  your  second  wind!”  Peggy  and  Nate  had  both  hiked  the  Grand  Canyon  and  agreed  that  it   had  been  easier  than  this  uphill  hike—longer,  but  not  as  steep.   We  were  ready  for  a  beer  after  6.25  miles  (10  kilometers)  of  hiking  accumulated  during  the  day.  The   restaurant  of  our  hotel  ran  out  of  beer,  so  we  went  into  town  and  got  a  few  24-­‐ounce  Pilseners  for  $1.50   each  plus  25  cents  deposit.  The  bottle  cap  admonishes,  “Disfruta  con  moderación,”  which  means,  “Enjoy   in  moderation.”     Quilotoa  beach     At  7:00  it  was  time  for  dinner,  and  Marlo  the  chef  prepared  what  I  considered  a  relatively  healthy  Paleo   diet,  devoid  of  wheat  and  dairy:  chicken,  potatoes,  the  local  quinoa  soup,  and  a  tree  tomato  dessert   with  just  a  bit  of  cinnamon  and  sugar  glaze.  (Fresh  popcorn  was  our  appetizer.)  
  20. 20. 20     We  learned  that  Fausto,  one  of  the  two  owners  of  the  lodge,  had  created  the  beautiful  paintings  and   painted  masks  adorning  the  hotel’s  walls.  His  father,  also  an  artist,  created  many  of  the  wool  items   (socks,  scarves,  sweaters,  purses,  etc.)  for  sale  in  the  dining  room.  The  hotel  has  10  rooms  with  the   capacity  to  shelter  22  people.  The  rooms  include  hot  water  and  private  bathroom.  Rooms  run  $20  per   person,  but  $30  with  breakfast  and  dinner.     Fausto  loves  his  business  and  meeting  people  from  all  over  the  world.  Most  of  the  guests  come  from   other  regions  of  Ecuador,  or  the  USA,  Germany  and  France.  The  busiest  months  are  July  and  August   because  that  is  when  children  break  from  school  (even  though  that  is  the  winter  in  Ecuador).  Next  is   November,  December,  and  January,  when  tourists  come  from  the  Northern  hemisphere  on  their  winter   break.     I  didn’t  expect  to  sleep  much  the  evening  before  the  big  event,  but  I  find  myself  oddly  at  peace  here.  It  is   so  peaceful.  Time  stands  still.     September  22,  2013:  walking  the  Quilotoa  Lake  Rim   Today  was  the  day  I’d  been  anticipating  for  over  a  month,  when  we  first  planned  this  trip.  I  had  even   written  instructions  for  loved  ones  on  what  to  do  if  I  died.  I’d  read  blogs  warning  not  to  do  this  trek,   admonishing  about  how  people  had  fallen  to  their  death.  On  the  other  hand,  I  also  knew  that  the  vast   majority  hadn’t  died.  But  if  one  of  us  died,  I  joked,  we’d  have  to  rename  this  rim  the  “Kill-­‐otoa.”   Here  I  am  hiking  the  rim  of  the  crater  lake     I  also  felt  comfort  in  hiring  a  guide:  surely  he  would  steer  us  away  from  risky  areas  and  he  would  know   alternate  paths  in  case  of  fierce  winds.  Francisco  was  the  man.  Fausto’s  father,  age  54,  had  been  guiding   this  trek  since  1985.  And  his  fee  was  only  $30  –  not  per  person,  but  a  flat  fee.  Weren’t  our  lives  worth   $30?     Francisco  picked  us  up  at  the  hotel  at  8:00  AM.  Sure  enough,  the  wind  was  blowing—and  often  I’d  have   to  take  my  sun  visor  off  in  order  to  keep  it  from  falling  down  to  the  lake.  Sun  visors  are  hard  to  find  in  
  21. 21. 21     Ecuador,  so  I  held  on  tightly.  Fortunately  it  wasn’t  as  fast  and  furious  as  that  day  in  Tigua—otherwise   we’d  probably  have  had  to  postpone  the  trek.   As  we  walked  around  the  rim,  the  vast  majority  of  it  was  pretty  easy.  Sometimes  the  wind  was  especially   fast  and  our  guide  would  have  us  bushwhacking  behind  the  rim’s  peak.  If  we  had  fallen,  we  might  have   gotten  a  bit  scraped  up,  but  no  broken  neck  or  anything.  He  also  knew  all  the  alternate  paths  to  take  if   something  seemed  too  hard.  But  every  single  time  I  came  back  to  where  the  lake  was  in  view,  it  was   almost  like  seeing  it  for  the  first  time,  soliciting  a  big  “WOW.”  I’d  just  have  to  stop  a  minute  and   appreciate  this  majestic  sight;  after  all,  that’s  what  we’d  come  here  for.     I’m  daring  to  hike  the  thin  trails  of  the  rim       “You  have  to  stay  away  from  the  rim  when  the  wind  is  strong,”  he  advised.  “Even  if  the  wind  is  blowing   in  a  safe  direction,  it  can  suddenly  do  a  U-­‐turn  and  blow  you  over!”  He  also  told  us  of  a  recent  death  in   the  crater  rim.  A  couple  from  Holland  went  without  a  guide.  The  man  was  hovering  near  the  rim  when   he  suddenly  got  dizzy,  probably  from  altitude  sickness,  and  fell  into  the  rim.  A  loud  scream  was  heard  at   3:00  PM  from  his  girlfriend.  By  11:00  PM  the  lifeless  body  was  found.    (I  was  so  glad  to  have  a  guide.)   About  an  hour  and  a  half  into  the  hike,  Peggy  decided  to  drop  out,  thinking  it  was  too  risky.     About  three  quarters  into  the  hike,  things  did  get  pretty  intense.  Several  times  there  were  long  stretches   not  suitable  for  those  with  fear  of  heights:  put  your  foot  off  the  narrow  path  and  you  fall  to  your  death,   as  many  have  done.  But  I  was  so  ecstatic  that  it  wasn’t  as  hard  as  I’d  imagined  it  to  be  that  I  couldn’t   help  but  look  down,  with  a  death  defying  dopamine  rush!      Francisco  would  admonish  me,  “Don’t  look   down!  This  is  scary,  even  for  me!”  (And  he’d  been  a  guide  for  28  years.)  
  22. 22. 22       Sun  shimmering  on  the  laguna   We  broke  for  lunch,  sitting  on  the  grass,  and  joked  that  this  could  be  our  “last  supper”  since  the  really   steep  and  narrow  part  was  just  to  come.  Francisco  picked  some  blueberries  for  us  to  eat.  They  weren’t   exactly  blueberries,  but  looked  similar,  and  are  called  morteños  in  Spanish.     Once  we  saw  a  shepherd  egging  a  bunch  of  his  sheep  and  goats  to  walk  along  the  rim.  I  wondered,  “Are   Capricorns  better  at  mountain  climbing  since  they’re  the  goat?”  (By  the  way,  I’m  a  Capricorn.)   Then  came  the  peak  of  the  rim—there  were  a  few  stretches  of  maybe  ten  feet  or  so  when  we  had  to  do   some  nearly  vertical  “rock  climbing.”  I  knew  my  body  was  capable  of  this  since  I  had  been  doing  these   small  stretches  while  climbing  to  the  second  waterfall  in  Giron,  Ecuador.     Amazing  color  of  the  lake     When  we  got  near  the  extreme  peak,  the  place  of  ultimate  highness,  Francisco  advised,  “No.  Take  the   alternate  path  unless  you  are  very  strong.”    I  replied,  “This  is  what  I  came  to  do!”  I  climbed  up  to  the  summit  and  Nate  videotaped  me  in  all  my   glory,  shouting,  “I’m  the  queen  of  the  world!  ¡Soy  la  reina  del  mundo!”  (I  was  plagiarizing  Leonardo   DiCaprio  in  the  move  Titanic.)   Toward  the  end  of  the  rim  we  came  upon  a  beautiful  teak  wood  lookout  place  (mirador)  where  a  group   of  local  men  were  sitting  and  chatting.  Nearby  was  a  new  hotel  spot,  Cabañas  Shalalá   (http://shalala.uphero.com/),  a  soon-­‐to-­‐be-­‐open  eco-­‐center  for  tourists  to  stay  at,  right  by  the  lake  but   in  the  upper  area  near  the  rim.  The  sustainability  and  upscale  aspect  is  designed  to  attract  foreign   tourists;  the  lodges  are  modern  with  electricity,  hot  water,  and  new  beds  with  comfortable  mattresses.    
  23. 23. 23     Me  at  the  mirador     The  hike  took  us  six  hours  total  though  it  was  only  seven  miles  (11  kilometers).  Francisco  said  the  norm   was  four  or  five  hours,  but  Nate  stopped  a  lot  for  photos,  and  we  aren’t  so  young  any  more.  (I’m  57;  he’s   62.)  Francisco  said  the  fastest  group  he  ever  took  did  it  in  three  hours—young  men  in  their  20s  who  had   a  race.     Upon  finishing  the  hike  I  was  so  euphoric  to  still  be  alive—and  feel  more  alive  than  ever—that  I  tipped   Francisco  an  additional  33%  (meaning  ten  bucks  on  top  of  the  $30),  for  which  he  was  grateful.  I  also   promised  I’d  include  his  cell  phone  in  this  book  so  he  could  garnish  more  business:  099-­‐427-­‐2361.  He’s  a   guide  not  only  for  the  crater  rim  hike,  but  also  hikes  to  local  hot  springs,  Inca  caves,  the  Rio  Tuache   Canyon,  the  nearby  village  of  Chugchilán,  and  a  waterfall.     He  also  asked  me  if  I  could  help  collect  some  used  clothing  and  household  items  for  the  poor  people  in   the  area.  I  promised  him  I’d  come  with  some  boxes  the  next  time  I’d  be  in  the  area,  and  he  said  he’d   meet  me  at  Latacunga  so  I  wouldn’t  have  to  lug  the  goods  around.  He  told  me  many  people  said  they’d   help,  and  he  would  get  the  hopes  up  of  the  locals,  but  nothing  would  happen.  “Maybe  it’ll  be  easier  for   you,  since  you  live  in  Ecuador.”  I  agreed.     While  we  had  a  beer,  Francisco  told  us  the  sad  story  of  how  his  two  horses  (used  to  carry  tourists  up  and   down  the  lake  for  earning  extra  money)  recently  died.  A  dog  scared  them  and  they  fell  down  the  crater   rim  to  their  death.  He  said  all  his  “wawas”  cried.  (In  Quechua,  the  local  indigenous  language,  the  word   for  baby  is  wawa,  since  that  is  the  noise  they  make  when  they  cry.  This  word  has  seeped  into  the   Ecuadorian  Spanish  vocabulary.)   Francisco  called  one  of  his  eight  children  to  come  and  bring  some  of  his  handmade  crafts  (artesanos).   We  happily  purchased  $56  worth,  including  a  couple  of  wool  purses,  a  belt,  and  a  scarf.     For  the  rest  of  the  day  and  night,  I  was  on  a  dopamine  high.  I  could  now  understand  why  people  climbed   high  mountains,  risking  loss  of  their  digits  or  possible  death  in  an  avalanche.  I  could  see  why  thrill   seekers  always  had  to  raise  the  bar  for  their  next  event.  I  was  even  contemplating  hiking  the  Cotapaxi   volcano,  which  was  at  16,000  feet  (4,877  meters)!  I’d  heard  that  out  of  nine  busloads  of  tourists,  only   two  people  would  usually  make  it  to  the  top.  By  now  I  felt  so  invincible,  why  wouldn’t  one  of  those  two   people  be  me?    
  24. 24. 24     Quilotoa  lake     When  we  caught  up  with  Peggy,  she  was  glad  we  were  still  alive.  She’d  decided  to  hike  the  rim,  but  in   the  safer  parts.     This  is  something  every  reader  needs  to  know:  you  can  enjoy  the  lake,  and  even  the  rim  hike,  without   doing  the  dangerous  parts.  There  are  plenty  of  wide  areas  you  can  walk  around  the  rim  without  any   significant  risk  of  falling  off.  In  fact,  if  you  are  afraid  of  heights,  you  might  want  to  avoid  any  of  the  areas   that  trigger  your  fears.     In  my  case,  I  faced  some  fears  with  this  hike.  It  was  liberating.     The  rest  of  the  evening  we  celebrated,  talking  with  Fausto,  enjoying  Marlo’s  great  food  along  with  a   couple  of  Pilseners,  and  reminiscing  about  the  hike.  Fausto  informed  us  of  his  friend’s  new  Cafeteria  de   Quilotoa  that  was  opening  up  and  would  serve  great  homemade  traditional  meals.  For  reservations,   contact  Isabel  Pastuña  at  095-­‐900-­‐5519.   September  23,  2013:  walking  from  Quilotoa  to  Chugchilán   Peggy  had  to  get  back  to  Cuenca,  but  Nate  and  I  would  stay  another  week.   Chugchilán  is  a  village  of  only  80  people  with  an  elevation  of  1,988  feet  or  3,200  kilometers.  We  realized   it’d  be  torture  to  walk  the  extreme  uphill  and  downhill  with  our  backpacks,  so  we  paid  $40  for  a  driver   to  take  us  the  seven  miles  (11  kilometers)  where  we  left  our  backpacks  at  Black  Sheep  Inn  and  then  rode   back  to  Quilotoa.  You  read  that  right:  $40.  The  prices  for  private  drivers  are  very  steep  in  this  land  in   which  buses  come  only  once  a  day  and  taxis  are  nonexistent.  But  we  saved  our  backs.     One  of  the  keys  to  containing  costs  is  to  ask  what  other  adventurers  are  up  to,  and  sharing  some  of  the   costs  of  hiring  drivers  and  guides.     Needless  to  say,  the  poor  locals  can’t  afford  these  drivers.  Usually  they  walk,  take  a  horse,  or  wait  for   the  bus.  
  25. 25. 25     The  walk  took  five  hours.  Five  hours  to  walk  seven  miles?  you  ask.  And  without  the  weight  of  a   backpack?  Yes,  it  was  a  very  extreme  downhill  (660  feet  or  182  meters)  and  then  back  up  (1,200  feet  or   366  meters).  The  downhill  was  so  dusty  that  I  had  to  go  very  slowly  due  to  the  slipperiness  and  my   disgust  for  falling.  I  felt  as  though  I  could’ve  skied  down  the  hill—that’s  how  slick  it  was.  It  helped  to  take   a  wide  stance,  avoiding  the  inner  dusty  part  of  the  trail  that  was  most  traveled.  If  this  doesn’t  appeal  to   you,  you  can  take  a  horse  for  $15  (four  hours),  the  bus,  or  a  private  driver.     The  hot  sun  was  exhausting  me  while  it  energized  Nate.  People  complain  about  the  cloudiness  in   Ecuador;  I  pray  for  clouds!  When  you’re  on  the  equator,  the  sun  is  very  intense.     But  the  scenery  was  worth  it.  We  had  a  map  courtesy  of  the  Black  Sheep  Inn,  which  provided  detailed   maps  for  the  main  local  hikes.  Along  the  way  we  passed  some  indigenous  people  planting  crops  of   lentils,  and  a  couple  of  tourists  from  Europe.     After  five  hours  of  walking  seven  miles  we  were  delighted  to  return  to  the  Black  Sheep  Inn,  a  famous   eco-­‐lodge.  Their  website  is  http://www.blacksheepinn.com/  .  Here  are  some  of  the  impressive  awards   this  inn  has  on  its  resumé:   World’s  Best  Hotels  -­‐  South  America  STAY  LIST  -­‐  National  Geographic  Traveler  2011   Top  10  Eco-­‐Resort  -­‐  Delta  SKY  Magazine  2009   Top  50  Eco-­‐Lodges  -­‐  National  Geographic  Adventure  Magazine  2009   Winner,  ECOCLUB.com  Ecotourism  Awards  2006  &  2008   Skål  International  Ecotourism  Award  2006   Smithsonian  Magazine/Tourism  Cares  for  Tomorrow  Sustainable  Tourism  Award  2005   Black  Sheep  Inn    
  26. 26. 26     The  activities  available  include  the  following:  day  hikes,  horseback  riding,  sauna  and  hot  tub,  mountain   biking,  indigenous  markets,  and  local  workshop  tours.         They  also  have  Frisbee  golf  on  the  property—which  includes  nine  holes  (actually  baskets)  with  some   pretty  steep  climbing.  Black  Sheep  Inn  claims  this  is  the  highest  Frisbee  golf  course  in  the  world.  Also  on   the  property  is  a  volleyball  court  and  horseshoes,  darts,  a  small  gym,  and  a  small  zipline.  Massages  are   offered  as  is  laundry  service.  There  is  wifi  and  a  book  exchange  area  which  includes  board  games.  And  of   course,  there  are  a  couple  of  real  live  black  sheep.  I  loved  the  fact  that  they  had  a  yoga  studio  where  I   could  do  my  30-­‐minute  routine  on  a  mat  instead  of  the  hard  floor  of  a  hotel  or  the  often  uneven  terrain   of  the  grass.  (But  I  also  loved  doing  yoga  in  front  of  my  hotel  room,  which  had  one  of  the  grandest  views   I’d  ever  seen  of  Ecuador.)   Frisbee  golf  at  Black  Sheep  Inn     The  eco-­‐lodge  donates  a  percentage  of  profits  to  the  local  community  and  also  provides  eco-­‐education.     An  American  couple  began  the  lodge  in  the  mid-­‐1990s.  They  loved  the  area  so  much  that  they  bought   some  land  which  evolved  into  this  eco-­‐lodge,  but  after  some  time  they  grew  weary  of  all  the  work  and   tried  to  sell  it.  When  that  didn’t  work  out,  they  simply  took  a  year  off  (which  is  why  it  wasn’t  listed  in  the   Lonely  Planet  one  year).    
  27. 27. 27     Then  they  hired  Edmundo  Vega  to  run  the  lodge.  Edmundo  has  been  working  there  for  16  months  and  is   very  qualified  since  he  had  a  lot  of  experience  working  in  the  Marriott  Hotel  in  Quito  (which  also  has   ecological  aspects,  according  to  him).  He  spends  two  weeks  out  of  every  month  in  Quito  with  his  wife,   and  two  young  children,  while  spending  the  other  two  weeks  at  the  inn.  He’s  been  a  hiker  all  his  life  and   continues  to  walk  at  least  three  times  a  week.  “I  adore  walking,”  he  says.   Edmundo  and  family     The  inn  serves  50%  of  its  food  organic,  and  100%  is  vegetarian  food,  as  this  is  known  to  be  the  most   sustainable.  (I  would  argue  that  this  wouldn’t  apply  in  this  under-­‐populated  region  filled  with  cattle,   sheep,  etc.  and  if  you  are  familiar  with  my  book  Beyond  Broccoli,  you  know  my  arguments  against   vegetarianism  for  the  masses!)     Edmundo  swears  by  the  vegetarian  diet.  He  weighed  210  pounds  while  eating  meat  twice  a  day,  with   frequent  headaches  and  foot  problems.  He  was  taking  three  ibuprofen  pills  per  day!  Now  he  radiates   health  at  175  pounds,  having  lost  35  lbs.     The  Black  Sheep  Inn  (BSI)  is  famous  for  its  compost  toilets.  There’s  often  a  shortage  of  water  in  the   mountains,  so  why  should  it  be  wasted  on  flushing  water  down  the  toilet?  I  noted  that  there  was  no  foul   smell  with  the  compost  toilets  as  one  might  expect,  based  on  experience  with  outhouses.  This  is   because  after  one  uses  the  toilet,  he  “flushes”  with  a  small  shovel  full  of  dry  stuff  consisting  of  sawdust   leaves  and  pods  from  cultivated  lupine  (chochos).  The  feces  and  urine  contain  high  amounts  of  nitrogen  
  28. 28. 28     while  the  “flush”  is  high  in  carbon.  The  ideal  ratio  is  30  parts  carbon  to  one  part  nitrogen,  which  means   ideally  one  uses  a  lot  of  this  flush.  Then  the  entire  toilet  contents  can  be  recycled  as  fertilizer.   In  fact,  every  room  in  the  BSI  has  the  book  The  Toilet  Papers  by  Sim  Van  der  Ryn  conveniently  located   right  beside  the  toilet  as  bathroom  reading  material.  The  book  has  a  full  explanation  of  the  eco-­‐logic   behind  compost  toilets.     Every  room  has  a  wood  stove,  top  quality  Ecuadorian  orthopaedic  matresses,  thick  wool  blankets,  and   flannel  sheets.  The  Andes  can  get  pretty  cold  at  night,  but  all  of  these  nuances  make  it  feel  warm  and   cozy.  On  top  of  the  beds  are  little  stuffed  black  sheep.     Rooms  at  Black  Sheep  Inn   Rooms  run  $60  per  person  or  $80  per  person  with  a  private  bath.  There  is  a  dormitory  at  $35  per  person   for  the  budget-­‐conscious  who  wish  to  cut  expenses  by  staying  in  a  shared  room  which  includes  many   bunk  beds.  But  if  you  go  in  the  off-­‐season  months,  you  might  be  the  only  one  in  the  room,  at  least  for  a   night  or  two.     The  prices  include  breakfast,  a  sack  lunch  to  take  while  hiking,  and  dinner.  What’s  fun  is  that  at   breakfast  and  dinner  you  can  visit  with  the  other  guests,  often  people  from  all  over  the  world.    It  was  our  first  dinner  and  the  soup  was  especially  delicious.  Edmundo  shared  an  interesting  story:  60   years  ago  there  weren’t  any  local  inhabitants  in  the  Quilotoa  town,  but  there  was  one  gringo  called   “Richard”  who  lived  there.  He  was  a  100%  raw  foodist!  But  in  the  1940s  he  suddenly  disappeared.    
  29. 29. 29     September  24,  2013:  Hiking  in  the  area   After  a  hearty  breakfast  of  homemade  granola,  fresh  juice,  and  eggs  to  order,  we  set  out  on  a  path  that   Edmundo  discovered  as  an  eight-­‐year-­‐old:  the  Skywalk  hike.  It  ended  up  being  about  three  miles  (4.8   kilometers),  but  took  us  two  hours  to  complete  due  to  all  the  hills.  Later  we  enjoyed  a  hot  tub  and   sauna,  going  back  and  forth  between  the  two.  We  topped  off  the  evening  with  another  delicious   vegetarian  dinner.  We  met  an  Indian  man  (Amitros)  living  in  Canada  who  just  began  staying  at  the  lodge   and  dined  with  him.  Since  he  was  the  only  one  there,  apart  from  us,  he  had  the  entire  dorm  to  himself.   We  agreed  to  go  hiking  with  him  the  next  day.     Me  doing  the  skywalk  hike   September  25,  2013:  Hiking  in  the  area   Nate,  Amitros,  and  I  hired  a  local  guide  named  Miguel  for  $20  to  walk  us  to  the  following  places:  the   cloud  forest,  the  cheese  factory,  and  the  waterfalls.  The  entire  hike  took  nearly  nine  hours,  though  it   was  only  12.5  miles  (20  kilometers).  We  were  so  happy  to  be  finished  with  the  hike  that  we  tipped  him   another  ten  dollars.     During  the  hike  we’d  pass  all  sorts  of  animals:  pigs  with  their  piglets,  sheep  and  ewes,  cows  with  their   calves,  donkeys,  and  horses.  Often  the  animals  would  be  tied  up.  We’d  also  pass  many  shacks  of  adobes   and  even  some  with  thatched  roofs.  Often  people  are  too  poor  to  buy  a  sign  for  their  business,  so  simply  
  30. 30. 30     paint  on  the  outside  of  their  house  things  like  se  vende  (for  sale)  or  Vendemos  helados,  coca-­‐cola,  papas   fritas  (We  sell  ice  cream,  Coca-­‐Cola,  French  fries).     Dogs  are  (as  in  everywhere  in  Ecuador)  free  to  roam  around  just  like  they  did  in  the  US  before  the  strict   leash  laws.     Amitros  by  me,  and  Miguel,  all  hiking  into  the  cloud  forest   After  we  unwound  a  bit  with  yoga  and  a  beer,  it  was  on  to  another  great  dinner  with  what  I’d  consider   to  be  award-­‐winning  soup.  This  time  a  British  couple  also  joined  us.     September  26,  2013:  Hiking  from  Chugchilán  to  Isinliví   We’d  heard  that  Isinliví,  a  very  small  village  in  the  vicinity,  had  some  spectacular  views.  It’s  got  a   population  of  about  300  and  an  elevation  of  9,514  feet  or  2,900  meters.    But  we  knew  the  up  and  down   verticals  with  our  backpacks  would  be  too  much.  So  we  kept  most  of  our  stuff  at  the  BSI  while  we  took   the  basics  with  us.  We  hired  Miguel  to  be  our  guide,  but  instead  his  young  son  William  (age  18)  showed   up  to  take  us.   This  ended  up  being  the  most  grueling  hike  I’d  ever  experienced.  It  made  the  Quilotoa  Loop  seem  like  a   cakewalk.  The  hike  consisted  of  endless  ups  and  downs,  with  the  downs  most  scary  for  me—again,  dusty   slippery  trails.  It  was  like  walking  up  and  down  a  roller  coaster!  Yet  our  teen  guide,  who  had  the   cheapest  shoes  with  barely  any  track,  was  able  to  glide  up  and  down  the  hills  as  if  he  were  jet  skiing.  He   never,  ever  got  out  of  breath.  I  guess  being  raised  in  the  high  altitude,  and  not  having  money  for  drivers   and  horses  kept  this  young  lad  in  superb  shape.    
  31. 31. 31     Part  of  the  hike  included  crossing  a  very  rickety  old  bridge.  We  insisted  that  the  paper  guide  warned  us   not  to  take  this  bridge  as  there  would  be  another  one  that  was  safer.  William  wasn’t  aware  of  the   alternate  bridge.     Me  on  the  rickety  old  bridge   At  one  point  the  ground  was  extremely  slippery  mud,  and  to  my  horror—I  fell.  My  pants,  poles,  and   hands  were  all  covered  in  mud.  Once  I  realized  I  wasn’t  hurt,  though,  I  laughed,  and  the  others  joined  in.     Nearing  the  end  we  could  see  the  village  and  let  our  young  guide  go.  When  I  handed  him  the  $20  plus  a   $5  tip,  seeing  the  glow  in  his  eyes  and  smile  on  his  face  made  the  hike  all  worthwhile.  It  was  like  handing   an  American  18-­‐year-­‐old  two  Ben  Franklins.   The  uphill  climb  at  the  end  was  tough  because  by  now  we  were  exhausted.  I  felt  like  a  little  old  lady   inching  along  with  her  canes  (in  my  case,  ski  poles).  The  hike  was  only  6.5  miles  (10.4  kilometers),  but  it   took  us  4.5  hours.     But  finally  we  arrived  at  our  destination:  The  Llullu  Llama  Hostel.  Eva,  the  owner,  was  in  Quito.  But  we   got  our  assigned  bedrooms  and  headed  out  to  the  town  where  I  checked  my  email  at  a  local  cabina.  The   connection  was  so  slow  that  all  I  did  was  check  the  subject  headings.  No  emergencies,  so  I  logged  off.   Nate  would  check  his  iPad  to  see  if  he  was  a  grandfather  yet.  
  32. 32. 32     Me  at  the  Llullu  Llama  Hostel     After  I  got  back  to  the  main  drag  I  saw  what  looked  like  a  bum  sitting  on  the  curb  drinking  a  large   Pilsener.  But  no—it  wasn’t  a  homeless  hobo—it  was  Nate!  I  joined  him  and  we  purchased  snacks  from   the  owner  of  the  only  other  hostel  in  town  at  her  little  grocery  called  “Viveres  Tito.”  When  Nate  bought   a  couple  of  packs  of  greasy  potato  chips,  the  woman  was  appalled  that  he  wouldn’t  share  them  with  me   (when  actually  I  didn’t  want  any)  so  she’d  tease  him  about  that.   Finally  we  went  back  to  the  hostel  for  some  pre-­‐dinner  drinks.  The  guests  were  a  truly  global  bunch:  a   young  Chinese  couple  that  was  born  and  bred  in  Holland;  a  young  Chinese  woman  born  and  bred  in   Australia  (all  three  of  whom  were  fluent  in  Manadarin).  Then  there  were  a  couple  of  young  women  from   Britain,  and  Nate  and  I  who  were  Americans  who’d  immigrated  to  Ecuador.  We  all  had  a  great  chat  while   enjoying  the  delicious  food  prepared  by  Gladys,  the  chef  who  also  managed  the  hostel  in  Eva’s  absence.    
  33. 33. 33     International  guests  dining  at  the  Llullu  Llama  Hostel  (me  at  far  left  and  Gladys  standing  in  the   background)     When  we  told  the  other  guests  about  our  tumultuous  hike,  they  responded,  “But  there  is  a  much  easier   one!  If  you  follow  the  river,  it’s  all  flat  except  for  the  final  uphill  part.”     The  hostel  offers  sheets  with  great  descriptions  for  hikes,  including  three  very  short  hikes  (30-­‐45   minutes  each);  one  short  hike  in  which  you  can  try  to  beat  the  record  (1  hour  30  minutes);  three  half-­‐ day  hikes  (three  to  four  hours  each);  three  full-­‐day  hikes  (four  to  six  hours  each);  and  three  one-­‐way   hikes  (four  to  six  hours  each).  We  grabbed  the  sheet  (a  one-­‐way  hike  lasting  four  to  six  hours)  that   would  take  us  back  to  Chugchilán,  where  we  planned  to  return  the  next  day.     This  place  also  had  compost  toilets—in  fact,  ones  with  a  great  view!     I  interviewed  Eva  by  email  since  she  was  in  Quito.   The  owners  are  Eva  Merkx  from  Holland  and  her  Ecuadorian  husband,  Cristian  Chala.  (They  have  two   daughters,  Yulia  and  Hanna.)  They  run  the  Hostel  Llullu  Llama  with  Gladys,  an  Ecuadorian  married  to   David.  (They  have  five  children.)    Eva  had  lived  in  Ecuador  ten  years  and  she  and  her  husband  Cristian   always  dreamt  of  having  a  hostel.   They  looked  at  various  places  in  Ecuador  and  last  December  2012  visited  Hostel  Llullu  Llama  and  just  fell   in  love  with  the  place.  The  hostel  had  already  been  running  for  several  years,  but  was  a  bit  run  down  
  34. 34. 34     because  the  former  owner  did  not  really  want  to  continue  putting  time,  money  and  effort  in  making  the   place  work.  So  they  bought  it  in  January  2013  and  continue  to  renovate  the  place.     “We  are  now  constructing  four  garden  cottages  with  private  bathrooms  and  chimneys,”  says  Eva.  “And   we  are  also  building  a  spa  area  with  a  Turkish  sauna,  dry  sauna,  and  Jacuzzi  with  an  incredible  mountain   view!  We  hope  this  part  will  be  up  and  running  as  of  March  2014.     “Our  vision  is  to  create  a  beautiful  relaxing  place  where  hikers  and  nature  lovers  can  come  to  meet   other  travelers,  relax  and  enjoy  the  mountains  and  have  a  cozy  and  warm  place  to  sleep  on  their   mountain  adventure.     “At  the  same  time  we  want  to  set  up  a  community  fund  with  client  gifts  and  part  of  our  profits.  We  will   use  the  community  fund  for  small-­‐scale  development  projects  in  the  village  of  Isinliví  and  surrounding   communities.  At  the  moment,  we  are  still  in  the  set-­‐up  phase  of  this  funding  scheme  but  this  should  all   be  up  and  running  in  the  beginning  of  next  year.  By  the  end  of  next  year  we  are  planning  to  create   horseback  riding  tours  and  mountain  bike  tours  as  well  in  the  area.”     Most  of  the  guests  come  from  the  USA,  Switzerland,  Holland,  and  Germany.     September  27,  2013:  Hiking  from  Isinliví  back  to  Chugchilán     The  hike  from  yesterday  wore  me  out.  I  slept  ten  hours,  from  8:30  until  6:30,  the  most  I’d  been  able  to   sleep  the  past  11  nights.  Up  until  now,  I’d  either  lie  in  bed  and  not  sleep  till  3:00  AM,  or  I’d  sleep  at  first,   and  wake  up  around  2:00  AM,  unable  to  go  back  to  sleep.  Every  night  I  felt  lucky  if  I  got  three  or  four   hours  of  sleep,  while  resting  in  bed  awake  another  three  to  four  hours.     After  a  hearty  breakfast,  we  went  up  to  the  top  of  the  pre-­‐Inca  hill  near  the  hostel.  There  we  saw  one  of   the  most  captivating  views  of  Ecuador:  vast  hills  in  all  directions,  with  all  sorts  of  shades  of  green   patches  (some  from  farming).  What  amazed  me  was  the  huge  hill  directly  in  front  of  this  lookout   (mirador).  It  had  about  five  layers  of  levels,  each  with  paths,  some  with  roads,  and  dotted  with  grazing   cows  and  sheep,  as  well  as  small  adobe  houses.  The  level  right  below  had  a  small  house  with  a  farm  and   cows.  It  was  like  some  enchanting  storybook  picture—surreal,  breathtakingly  beautiful,  and  magical!    
  35. 35. 35     Enjoying  the  view  from  the  pre-­‐Inca  hill     We  resolved  to  head  back  to  Chugchilán  as  there  was  going  to  be  a  festival  of  the  local  saint,  San  Miguel.   This  time,  however,  we  would  walk  by  the  river,  avoiding  the  roller  coaster  walk  except  for  the   unavoidable  steep  uphill  at  the  end.     First  we  had  to  load  up  on  water  and  snacks  at  “Viveres  Tito,”  where  the  delightful  owner  insisted  I  not   share  anything  with  Nate  since  he  wouldn’t  share  his  greasy  potato  chips  with  me!     As  we  walked  along  the  river,  we  stopped  about  halfway  for  a  lunch  break.  There  was  a  makeshift  bridge   that  we  crossed—it  wasn’t  too  high  up,  but  scary  enough  that  I  crawled  across  it.  However  as  we  rested   on  the  grass  we  laughed  as  we  saw  natives  scurry  over  it.  In  one  incident,  a  mother  had  a  baby  wrapped   on  her  back  while  holding  hands  with  her  three-­‐year-­‐old  as  they  quickly  walked  across  the  questionable   bridge.  In  another,  a  man  had  to  coax  his  reluctant  dog  to  cross  by  pushing  his  butt!   Though  rich  in  beautiful  sights,  these  people  were  cash  poor,  no  doubt.  One  even  asked  me  for  a  dollar   so  he  could  buy  pan  (bread).  Yet,  despite  their  poverty,  they  lived  among  scenic  views  which  –  were  they   in  a  large  city  in  California,  for  example—their  property  would  be  worth  millions  of  dollars.  
  36. 36. 36     Tiochi  river  valley  on  the  way  back  to  Chugchilán     We  proceeded  to  walk  and  came  upon  a  second  bridge—this  one  was  the  best  of  the  three,  no  doubt,   but  nonetheless  required  keeping  your  hand  steadily  on  a  wire  while  crossing.  Finally  we  encountered   the  rickety  dangerous  one  we’d  crossed  the  day  before.     Often  we’d  pass  red  arrows  that  indicated  we  were  on  the  correct  path.  We’d  heard  a  rumor  that   sometimes  the  guides  would  take  down  the  signs  (as  they  don’t  want  the  hikes  to  be  marked,  so  they’ll   be  needed).  But  some  of  these  red  arrows  were  painted  on  rocks  or  trees,  reminding  me  of  the  yellow   arrows  used  to  indicate  El  Camino  de  Santiago  in  Spain,  which  I’d  trekked  earlier  this  year.     We  were  surprised  and  happy  to  see  a  little  store  along  the  way,  made  of  rustic  wood.  When  the  dogs   barked,  the  owner  came  out  and  sold  us  some  water  and  snacks.       We  came  to  the  last  part  of  the  hike  which  entailed  about  a  half  hour  or  so  of  what  Nate  called  “ball   busting”  uphill  climbing—followed  by  45  minutes  or  so  of  walking  to  the  town.  As  much  as  the  uphill   wore  me  out,  I  preferred  it  to  the  steep  downhill  of  the  dusty  slippery  slopes.     When  we  got  to  the  top,  two  small  boys  were  telling  us  they  had  a  mirador  or  lookout  with  a  view  by   their  house.  No  doubt  they  wanted  some  coins  in  exchange.  Nate,  however,  was  preoccupied  as  he   realized  he’d  left  a  battery  recharger  at  the  hostel.  I  gave  each  of  the  boys  a  bag  of  potato  chips  and  a   popcorn  ball  left  over  from  our  snacks.  Their  faces  lit  up  with  huge  smiles.  They  ran  to  show  their   parents  and  also  savored  the  pretty  bright  packaged  chips  by  playing  with  the  unopened  bags,  delighting   in  their  treasures  as  long  as  they  could  before  opening  them.    
  37. 37. 37     Our  return  hike  was  8.21  miles  (13  kilometers)  lasting  about  seven  hours,  from  9:20  from  4:00  (with  a   45-­‐minute  break  by  the  river).  It  was  a  bit  longer  than  William’s  roller  coaster  hike,  but  much,  much   easier  since  most  of  it  was  flat.     When  we  went  to  get  our  backpack  at  the  Black  Sheep  Inn,  Edmundo  informed  us  that  there  had  been  a   contest  that  day  among  the  village  boys  to  see  who  could  walk  the  fastest  from  Quilotoa  to  Chugchilán.   Recall  that  on  September  23  that  same  walk  had  taken  Nate  and  me  five  hours  to  walk  seven  miles.     Somehow  William,  our  18-­‐year-­‐old  guide,  had  accomplished  the  walk  in  one  hour,  even  with  a  backpack   of  25  pounds!  I  am  sure  he  must  have  known  some  short  cuts  to  make  it  less  than  seven  miles.  And  of   course,  he  ran  it  instead  of  walking.  But  still!  He  won  the  prize  of  $70.  The  guy  who  came  in  second  did  it   in  an  hour  and  ten  minutes.     We  stayed  at  the  Cloud  Forest  Inn,  paying  $15  each  for  private  rooms  with  their  own  bathrooms  (a  real   luxury).  The  fee  included  breakfast  and  dinner.  Another  option,  Mama  Hilda’s,  was  full  because  of  the   festival.     September  28,  2013:  Enjoying  the  festival  at  Chugchilán     We  deserved  a  break  from  intense  hiking,  but  nonetheless  trekked  a  rim  in  a  horseshoe  shape  that   entailed  very  steep  uphill  and  downhill.  At  least  it  was  only  an  hour  hike,  making  it  a  relative  “day  off.”     The  local  festival  began  at  11:00  AM.  There  was  folkloric  music  and  dancing  in  the  town  square.  People   in  costumes  (clowns,  and  men  dressed  as  women)  came  hopping  and  skipping  in.     Local  girl  in  traditional  costume     Later  in  the  early  evening  there  was  a  bullfight  with  a  baby  bull.  Of  course  no  one  got  hurt,  and  it  was  all   for  show.  But  later  when  they  set  an  adolescent  bull  in  the  ring,  everyone  cleared  out!  A  poor  dog  got   bumped  by  the  bull  and  quickly  ran  out  of  the  ring.     There  was  a  pole  that  contained  many  prizes  (food  and  bottles  of  alcohol)  at  the  top.  The  pole  was  made   a  bit  slippery  and  the  winner,  whoever  could  get  to  the  top,  would  take  home  all  the  loot.     “Stadium  seats”  took  on  a  new  meaning  as  many  of  the  spectators  sat  in  makeshift  “seats”  up  on  the   hills.  I  am  reminded  of  how  Ecuador  is  cited  in  many  books  about  longevity—of  which  I  have  an  entire