Experience & Design in the Mobile World
User Interface and Experience Design
Nathan Freitas, Oliver+Coady
When developing software for the web or a
desktop computer, you only need to consider the
mouse and the keyboard.
With a mobile device, you must take into account
the entire world around you (and your users).
Possible User Input Sources for a Mobile Device
• Keyboard • Vibration
• “Click” Tap via Touch (or Stylus) • Sound / Music
• Wheel or Trackball • Wireless Network Coverage
• GPS or Network Location • Environment Lighting
• Accelerometer Motion • Multitouch and Gestures
• Orientation / Compass / Altitude • Device Security / Loss
Three Device Classes
Mobile devices can be categorized by their
physical dimensions, network connectivity,
software capabilities and more
Think about the “60 second” use case...
and then think about the “60 minute” use case.
60 second = quick reference, lookup or message
directions, scores, stocks, weather...
60 minute = long, in-depth interaction while
relaxing, wasting time or on a train or plane
networked game, writing / reading / browsing, movies, podcasts,
project / ﬁnance management
What Would Fisher Price Do?
Easy, Fun, Instant Feedback, Limited Choices
12 Myths of Mobile User-Interface Design
• Users want power and aesthetics. • Mobile devices will essentially be
Features are everything phones, organizers, or combinations,
with maybe music/video added on
• What we really need is a Swiss army
knife • The industry is converging on a UI
• 3G is here!
• Highly usable systems are just
• Focus groups and other traditional around the corner
market analysis tools are the best
way to determine user needs • One underlying operating system will
• If it works in New York, it will work
anywhere • Mobile devices will be free-or nearly
• The killer app will be games, --er, no,
I mean, nightlife, or gps.... uh... • Advanced data-oriented services are
just around the corner
Create Your User Stories
I want to be able to ﬁnd all the While I am shopping at a store,
open happy hours nearby so I I want to be able to ﬁnd out if I
can save money can get it cheaper online
I want to be able to poll my I am walking to get fast food
friends for advice at any moment and I’d really like my lunch to
be ready when I get there
As I go for a run, I want to
The camera should wait until
know how my pace is
my hand is still and the shot is
compared to others my age.
level before the picture is taken.
Think About Where & When
• At the ofﬁce, during a meeting • At a sales meeting, for a $$$ deal
• By a parent, during breakfast • By a single parent, making dinner
• In the backseat of a taxi • In the drivers seat of a semi-truck
• By a doctor in a hospital • By a doctor in Rwanda
• By a soldier at a base • By a soldier, under ﬁre
Mobile Content Management System (CMS)
Content Drop-down Menu
• Spend at least half your time thinking, drawing, designing and planning
• Don’t just design for the lowest common denominator
• Mouse Click != Finger Tap
• For Web -> Mobile, extract just the most useful bits of functionality
• Connectivity is Your Enemy
• and more?