2. THE BLACK DAY
• The world of cricket has lost innocence on
Tuesday, the 3rd March, 2009. A dozen
gunmen ambushed the luxury bus ferrying
Sri Lankan cricket team to Gaddafi Stadium,
Lahore to resume play on the third day of the
second and final Test match with Pakistan.
• Here is a photo story of this horrible Black
Day for cricket and Pakistan..
3. A video grab shows gunmen firing in the direction of a police vehicle escorting the bus
near Gadaffi stadium, Lahor. Six members of the Sri Lankan cricket team were
wounded and 8 police were killed.
4. A man holding a rocket launcher after the attack. Lahore Police chief Habib-ur-Rehman
said the unidentified gunmen, fired AK 47s and rockets and hurled grenades to bus.
5. Media gather around the attacked bus, parked outside the Gaddafi stadium. Recalling the
horror, Sri Lankan team manager Kuruppu said: quot;We were on our way from the hotel to the
ground. Someone got out of the car and started shooting at our bus when we were 3-4 minutes
away from the stadium. quot;We all went to the ground otherwise a few more players could have
been injured. Luckily the driver took the bus from there and drove to the ground.”
6. Pakistani security officials conduct an inspection at the site of the shooting. Sri Lanka,
was invited to Pakistan after India pulled out, immediately cancelled the rest of the
tour. The team went back to Colombo same day.
7. Police cordoned off the area immediately after the attack and launched a search for
the gunmen. Four players received minor injuries in the attack -- Kumar Sangakkara,
Ajantha Mendis, Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Paranavithana.
8. Sri Lankan cricketer Tharanga Paranavitana is carried on a stretcher to a
hospital in Lahore. He opened the batting for SL in 2nd Test, had a
shrapnel wound to his chest and was out of danger.
9. The bodies of Pakistani policeman who were killed during the shootout. Eight people,
most of them police guards accompanying the team, were killed during the nearly 30-
minute exchange of fire.
10. Members of the Sri Lanka team walking towards the Pakistan Air Force
helicopter in the Gaddafi stadium. They were airlifted to Lahore airport
for return to Colombo.