Conferenza OpenGeoData Italia 201 – Rome 27 February 2013
Open Data Catalog
based on an presentation of Irina Bolychevsky and Rufus Pollock
The Open Knowledge Foundation
A not-for-profit organisation promoting
openness in all its forms.
Progress through community engagement organise events to bring people together.
We have projects and partnerships
throughout the world, especially in Europe.
We build tools and communities to
create, use and share open
knowledge - content and data that every
one can use, share and build on.
Aim to improve governance, research
and the economy.
Publishing and Authoring
Including Data Upload and
Add and edit dataset metadata
through an easy-to-use interface
• Add title, url, license etc
• Add data files and resources
• Group and tag your dataset,
making it easier to find through
• add maintainer, source and
• create custom additional fields
Resource editor allows you to add additional information
to each data file
Using Faceting and tags
Geo-search - filter by location
Full Catalog API
providing read, write and
query access to dataset metadata
and much more
Standards Support and Federation
• We support DCat (and helped define it!). Run the IATI Registry.
• Sophisticated harvesting and federation
allows interoperability and metadata sharing between
• E.g. publicdata.eu harvests over 15 EU catalogs into one central
Viewing, Sharing, Displaying
and Social Media Features
Extensive visualisation & data explorer functionality including
graphing and mapping data
Data explorer allows filtering, editing, plotting,
graphing and embedding