Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Technology

178 views

Published on

What I've learnt about the techology

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Technology

  1. 1. What have you learnt about the technologies from the process of constructingthis product? There were additional shots to those that were originally planned because ofthe location that was used and the time of day that was decided. This meantloud non-diegetic noises that were heard in the background, which was written inthe storyboard, couldn’t be used because of the time of night we had recordedthe footage and also filming in the private estate. One problem that occurred with the equipment was that despite having atripod, the size of the room that we used was a limited size; causing difficultywith spacing – meaning it was tight when varying the shot lengths. Meaning theydidn’t match up to the ones that were mentioned in the storyboard. To get overthis issue, closer shots were recorded in certain parts of the bedroom scene. The only problem that occurred with the mise-en-scene, costumes and props,was the corkboard which was filled with the fake pictures of victims. The boardclearly appeared to be artificial and there was limited usage for items to make upthe board and other props. There were also problems when it came to thelighting side of the process. Because of the shots being in different parts of thebedroom, different shadows were casted onto the footage causing differentlevels of lighting. This is clearly evident in the footage by each shot being indifferent keys of light. The final
  2. 2. film differs from what was originally planned as shots have been taken out whichappeared in the storyboard and some had even been filmed but was thendecided when the sequence was watched back that certain shots were notneeded to complete the opening. Plus, there was an issue with the length andtiming of the Thriller opening. It originally went over 2 minutes and was nearlygoing into its third minute. The product seemed to drag and lose its thrill, whichwasn’t the intention that was wanted at all. To resolve the issue, eliminating theunneeded shots was relevant. I didn’t have any problems with the sound because of there being no dialogueincorporated in the opening. The only sound which is heard is when the actorbreathes heavily at the start. When it came to the editing process, it becamedifficult with the breathing suddenly stopping when the next shot had begun. Tofix this problem, a special effect called fading was used to make the two shotstogether flow by them combining with each other.First shot Fading effect Second shot There were no problems with regards to the actor, Max Knowles, except thetimes where he was available to film for the group. But overall, Max worked wellon set and followed directions clearly. There were only a couple of mistakesthrough him either laughing or not realising the film had began to record, butshowed good characterisation of an assassinator. With the shots that had been chosen, I decided to add music when the actorwho plays Brad looks into the mirror. The reason for this was because at thispoint, the pace of the sequence slows down and becomes more of a calmeratmosphere. To create this mood, I wanted a piece of music that soundedunpleasant but must have violins as the dominant instrument because of theresults that were received when participants from the target audience was askedwhat instrument would be best for a Thriller. My aim was to make the audiencestill feel uncomfortable despite the setting being calm visually. The picture belowshows the starting point of when the music began.
  3. 3. There were two particular shots which caused problems and had to be recordedseveral times, shooting from the actor then panning left to the television andpanning right with the actor then tilting up whilst we walked up the stairs. Themain reason why these were shot more than the others was because of thecamera not remaining steady when the movement began. Special effects were included in the sequence. Different use of transactions,fading and zooming in at slow motion, was used to make the opening flow andslow down the pace as an overall thing. Fading was used at the beginning of theopening, showing a slow start, with then the pace gradually quickening up, thewhole thing slowed back down by the use of slow motion being shown at the endof it. Not only was the product edited through special effects but alsoincorporated with titles, all being used by the software adobe after effects. Forexample, the title ‘Target’ was made by the ‘shatterize’ effect, also known as thepixel polly plugin to the title. It also needed a metallic background so that it madethe texture seemed more realistic. This wasn’t always easy to do as it took acouple attempts to get the credits right. The first time, the text was too large tofully fit onto the screen so it needed to be edited it to make the font size smaller.Overall, I thought that using Premierewas easy to pick up with regards to adding the shots into the sequence and beingable to cut them shorter or separating one shot into two parts. Another pointwhich the software is easy to use is the fact that it’s easy to rearrange the shots.However, I noticed that if you didn’t shift the over shots over and just placed ashot over the top of them; it would remove the certain part of footage that wascovered up. Premiere was difficult when the credits were involved as for an
  4. 4. example, there was difficulty getting the ‘name credits’ to crawl across on the leftside of the screen. But it was soon resolved by making the font size smaller.

×