Erasmus Mundus - Overview, Opportunities, and Details
Erasmus Mundus - objectives
• Enhance the quality of Higher Education
through international co-operation
• Promote dialogue and understanding
between peoples and cultures
• Improve the development of skills for
participants and increase their future
employability in a competitive, knowledgebased society
What does it offer?
• Top-quality masters and doctoral courses
in a broad variety of disciplines
• A mobility scheme open to students
throughout the world, at all levels
• Scholarships and fellowships for excellent
students, researchers and staff
What are the benefits?
• Have a unique learning experience in Europe
• Receive double/multiple/joint degree, or
recognition of study abroad
• Acquire in-depth knowledge of Europe and
European higher education
• Improve linguistic skills, intercultural experience
• Improve employability through recognition of
qualifications and study periods abroad
• Academic exchange of knowledge, ideas, contacts
Erasmus Mundus in Sri Lanka
• Since the start of the programme in 2004, 142
Sri Lankan students and researchers have been
selected for Erasmus Mundus scholarships.
• Several partnerships have been established with
the Universities of Colombo and Peradnyia.
• Dozens of scholarships available for 2013/14 for
Sri Lankan students!
by EU and nonEU HEIs
• EU and non-EU
mobility at a
range of levels,
and for staff
• raise profile of
Action 1: Joint Masters and Doctoral
Courses EMMCs & EMJDs
• developed and delivered by a consortium
• located in at least three European
• co-ordinated by a European university
(non-European universities can be
Action 1: EMMCs & EMJDs
• offer an integrated study/research programme,
fully recognised in the countries participating
• require study or research in at least two countries
in the consortium
• lead to the award of a double, multiple or joint
degree to all successful students/doctors
• award full-study scholarships/fellowships for
What languages will you need?
• Vast majority of Erasmus Mundus courses are
taught in English, but…
• …whatever the language of instruction, it is
important to have the right level of linguistic
• …chance to enroll in tailor-made language
courses, add to your skills and improve your
How much is the scholarship?
• Up to 24,000 Eur per year
• Travel and personal costs, contribution to participation
costs, monthly allowances
• Contribution to travel, installation, etc. costs, participation
costs and living allowance
• Between 61,000 Eur and 129,000 Eur for a 3 year course
Action 2 Partnerships
• Large partnerships between universities from the
EU and universities from a specific region
• Scholarships of varying length (1 m - 3 yrs)
• Bachelor, master, doctorate, post-doctorate
students + HE staff (training, teaching, research
• A wide range of programmes on offer in partner
HEIs can be followed
Action 2 Partnerships in 2013-2014
• 2 partnerships selected in 2013
• Sri Lankan partners University of Peradeniya and
International College of Business and Technology
• All offering scholarships in 2013 and/or 2014:
• 2 partnerships selected in 2012.
• University of Colombo and University of Peradeniya
• Will still be offering mobility in 2013/2014
• Students from Sri Lanka are eligible!
Action 2 partnerships in Sri Lanka
• The partnerships cover a broad range of topics
• Engineering, geography, natural sciences, health and
medical studies, architecture and urban planning, law,
Business studies, social sciences, etc.
• Take a look at the programmes to find out the areas
Experts III and Experts4Asia http://www.expertsasia.eu
PANACEA - http://www.panacea-mundus.eu
Action 2 scholarships - coverage
• Monthly allowance
Sustenance allowances ranging from euro 1,000 (>LKR 150,000) to 3,000 (>LKR
450,000) a month
• Tuition and registration costs
• Travel costs, according to distance-based
How to apply
All students are selected by consortia/partnerships.
Courses/partnerships listed on the EM website.
the EMMCs/EMJDs on offer (Action 1)
the partnerships for your country and the study
opportunities they offer (Action 2)
2. Apply directly to the course or partnership. If you
are registered at one of the partner institutions, you
should contact your International Office.
Check the application requirements, e.g.
• Academic record, experience
• Language abilities
• Documents you will need
• Deadlines !
Student selection: when?
Check the consortium/partnership website.
Action 1 EMMCs/EMJDs starting in Sept
• Applications Oct 2013 – Jan 2014
Action 2 partnerships
• Range of selections, often starting in
If you are successful:
• Prepare your visa requests/other administrative
• Ensure you have all the necessary documents
ready well in advance (originals, certified copies)
• Ensure that you are properly informed about your
rights and obligations laid down in the student
• Ask advice and support from fellow students who
have already benefited from an EM scholarship
(see EMA website)
Information on the Erasmus Mundus Programme
Info on scholarships
Erasmus Mundus Students & Alumni Association
Study in Europe Website
For wider information on higher education in Europe
ScholarshipPortal brings together information on scholarships
offered by national and regional authorities, as well as private
sources of financing www.scholarshipportal.eu