• Learning objective
• Overview and instructions
• Activity: Emergency Fire Drill
• Blog: Review of knowledge
• Learners should be able to:
• Describe the emergency procedures in case
• Identify common fire hazards.
• Identify how to prevent fires.
• Demonstrate how to correctly use a fire
• Participate in an emergency response Drill.
• Emergency procedures
• Common fire hazards.
• How to prevent fires.
• How to correctly use a fire extinguisher.
• Activity: Emergency response Drill.
Course Overview & Instruction
• Establish a meeting
• Create an area of refuge.
• Never use elevators.
• Close doors when exiting.
• Take all fire alarms
• Have an emergency plan.
• Know where fire
extinguishers are located.
• Pay attention to security
• Improper use of combustible materials
• Unattended ashtrays
• Cigarettes in waste baskets
Wiring & Appliances
• Unattended appliances
• Overloaded outlets
• Broken or cracked electrical cords
• Burned out lights
• Blocked stairways
• Accumulated trash
• Opened fire doors
Common Safety & fire hazards
• Test smoke detectors monthly and change the batteries.
• Never leave stoves unattended.
• Use appropriate candle holders.
• Use fireguards around open fires.
• Turn off portable devices.
• Turn off do it yourself equipment.
• Avoid using multi-way adapters.
• Avoid putting electrical cables under carpet.
• Use correct fuse in electrical appliances.
• Keep flammable products away from heat.
• Smoke only in designated areas.
• Store and use chemicals safely.
• Use proper ventilation with chemicals.
• Take fire drills seriously.
• Know and have an emergency procedure.
Fire Prevention Tips
Scenario: You are the designated Fire
Marshall and the fire alarm went off. Detail
the proper steps to get others to safety.
Activity: Emergency Response Drill
Please choose one of the following questions to
respond to in your blog.
• What are 3 examples of Fire Prevention and
• Explain why it is necessary to follow
• What is another way to look at emergency
drills and explain why?
• Why do you think it is important to use the
fire extinguisher correctly?
Write a blog using the wiki media…
Be sure to respond to comments by your followers.
We want to partner with you!
Want more up to date information on fire safety tips?
Tweet us @singlescafe
1. It is important to develop a plan when it comes to
2. Being aware of potential safety hazards can prevent fires.
3. It is important to learn the proper usage of the fire
4. The 4 common categories for Hazards to occur include:
• Faulty Wiring
Gose, M. (2009). When Socratic Dialogue is Flagging: Questions
and Strategies for Engaging Students. College
Teaching, 57(1), 45-50.
Viscuso, F. (2012). 25 Tips for Probationary Firefighters. Fire
Engineering, 165(4), 155.