Cultural Aspect of Relevance
Country Nepal नेपाल
Languages Nepali (official) More than 100 local languages.
Area 147,181 km² (93rd) 2.8% water
Population 25 million
Religion Hinduism 80.6%,
Geography - Altitude from sea level Variation: 1,200 m to above 4,400 m.
- 8 out of top 10 mountains lies in Nepal, including Highest
Peak Mt. Everest.
Culture in Nepal
• The way of life for an entire society
• Lifestyle, architecture, food, clothing and
even occupations are culturally guided
• Assembled by music, architecture, religion
• Hospitality, dress, language, rituals, norms
of behavior and systems of belief.
• Seven out of the ten world heritage sites in
Nepal are termed cultural by UNESCO.
Hospitality in Nepal
• welcoming and treating guests in a warm,
friendly, generous way.
• Warm towards foreigners regardless of
their nation and religion.
Dress, Rituals and Language
• Nepal has adopted western dress, but still
traditional dress has its value in special
• Normally, formal western dresses in office
for both man and woman.
• Naming, marriage, funeral are main
• All languages spoken in Nepal can be
used for official purposes and
Norms of behavior and systems of
• Parents are highly respected by their children.
• Son’s main responsibility is to care for parent
when they grow old.
• Joint family system.
• Permission is required from elders to start any
• Leave off your shoes outside room in residence.
• "Namaste" is word to greet.
Festivals and Holidays
• October time for major Festival,
nationwide holiday for 2 weeks.
• Don’t have summer and winter working
• Others holidays according to local
• Job duration: 10 AM to 5PM
• Lunch Break: 2PM mostly(1 hrs)
• Weekly Holiday: Saturday
• Difference in Salaries:
Other working Class
History of IT in Nepal
• 1971 computer Introduction in the country for census (IBM1401).
• 1973 Electronic Data Processing Center.
• 1974 National Computer Center (Training school)
• 1984 First software development export.
• Internet was commercially introduced in Nepal in June 1994 .
• IT policy 2000, to educated more people in IT.
• IT Industry is mostly operated by private sectors
• Survey made on 2001 shows, Out of 23 million population only 1.5
million has access to internet.
• Survey made on 2007 shows 2.5 millions users have access to
internet (1% of total population)
• Windows in Nepali, Nepalinux, Nepali Dictionary / Thesaurus
IT industry in Nepal
– Customized Software developments
– IT-enabled services
– Web and content development
– Map digitization
– Photo enhancement
– Software testing and tuning
– Games development etc..
• Major countries
– JAPAN, USA, UK, Germany, Norway, Holland,
Sweden, Belgium, Denmark, Canada etc.
• Nepal-Japan IT business promotion convention.