Nico Perez + Founders Institute talk: Product & Services Development
Product & Service Nico PerezDevelopment Mixcloud Co-founder
Contents10 tips forBetter StartupProduct Development
1. Start with a problem • What is the problem? • Understand your customers. Are you one of them? make i made something something people people want want
2. Research the market • Surveys, B2B reports, competitor analysis • Business strategy -> guides -> product strategy • Route to market?
3. Launch early • Get version 1 out ASAP • Feedback is invaluable. Law of diminishing returns • Stealth or Open?
4. KISS • Keep it simple stupid. Solve one problem • Building a product is like designing a house from scratch.
5. Build and iterate • Roll out fast • Test instead of speculate + Remove features • Keep the main thing the main thing
6. Be Agile • Release Cycle? • Rapid prototyping. Continuous deployments • Small teams eg Apple Mac
7. Continuous improvement • Early stage 1-on-1 user testing. Apple store • Measure, track and test • Circular product life cycles
8. Prioritise • Time + engineering resource constraints • Define and communicate prioritisation criteria • Growth? Revenue? Stickyness?
9. Analyse • Later stage analytics • Google analytics • A/B testing. Multivariate testing. Conversion funnels.
10. Fail fast • If things go wrong, Fail fast • Smart teams adapt and change • Build a good team
Summary1. Start with a problem2. Research the market3. Launch early4. KISS5. Build and iterate6. Be Agile7. Continuous improvement8. Prioritise9. Analyse10. Fail fast
The end.Flickr CC credits:http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomashawk/228228018/http://www.flickr.com/photos/8078381@N03/3279725831/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_radiohttp://www.flickr.com/photos/9948354@N08/763399258/http://www.flickr.com/photos/emry/369409914http://informationarchitects.jp/web-trend-map-4-final-beta/
Please get in touchWeʼre keen to hear your thoughtsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.orgTwitter: @nicoperez / @mixcloud