St. Paul challenges us to live the
values that will strengthen our
family and transform it into one
like the Holy Family.
Let us read the letter of St. Paul
to the Ephesians.
Children, obey your parents (in the
Lord), for this is right. “Honor your father
and mother.” This is the first commandment
with a promise, that it may go well with you
and that you may have a long life on earth.
Fathers, do not provoke your children to
anger, but bring them up with the training
and instruction of the Lord.
(misuse of these products)
COMPUTERS MOBILE PHONES MP3 PLAYERS TELEVISION
God’s Original Design for Families
• Bible (Old Testament)
• Fourth Commandment
“Honor your father and mother, that you
may have a long life in the land which the Lord
your God is giving you.”
• Words of Sirach (Sirach 3:12)
What does this mean?
• Obligation of children to their parents when
they become old, sick and helpless.
• Makes us value human persons but because of
their inherent worth.
• Our parents deserve our love and respect
even if they are no longer able to provide for
• To give equal respect to our parents
St. Paul’s letter to the Ephesians
• Affirms the Fourth Commandment
• Emphasize filial respect for parents by adults
• Parental respect and responsibility for children
– When still young: physical, emotional, and
– When they grow to maturity: autonomy and
To honor our parents entails:
• Proper gratitude
- These values are best exemplified by Jesus
when He lived with Mary and Joseph.
Positive effects of obeying the Fourth
• Affirms the Filipinos’ recognition of children as
a gift from God, as fruit of love not only
between parents but also between them and
• Affirms the covenant relationship between the
parents and their children and between family
Positive impact on the Christian
• As each Christian family is strengthened by
this commandment, the Church also becomes
– Christian family is the domestic Church, the first
school of discipleship where children, by the grace
received in Baptism are made sons and daughters
of God and taught to become faithful followers of
The Result of Fourth Commandment
Our adherence to the Fourth Commandment
will help us to transform our families and make
it like the Holy Family.
Our prayers as a family and our worship in
the Eucharist will help keep the love in our
Parents are instruments of
God, acting as God’s free-
loving agents in bringing to
birth a new human life.
Honor, love and respect must
be given to them.