Top 10 Benefits of Peer Assisted Learning
1. Peer assisted learning emphasizes students simultaneously
learning and contributing to other students' learning, which helps
foster interpersonal skills and content understanding.
2. Communication in peer assisted learning is based on mutual
experience and so students are better able to make equal
3. When engaging in peer assisted learning tasks, an emphasis is on
the learning process, including the emotional support that
learners offer each other. This helps foster a trusting and safe
4. Modifications can be made for special needs students. Teachers
and support staff may be actively involved as group facilitators
or they may simply initiate student-directed activities.
5. Peer learning can also assist in developing communication skills.
Introverted students can be paired with a more extroverted
student in order to maximize and learn from the strengths and
weaknesses of each learner.
6. Peer and collaborative learning help to foster creativity,
experimentation, problem solving skills and the learning of
7. Peer teaching experiences can help develop confidence in
learners because their ideas and interpretations are encouraged to
be shared and discussed.
8. Ownership and accountability are also factors that help promote
9. With the development of social media, peer assisted learning
experiences are not limited to the constructs of the classroom.
10. Peer assisted learning is not limited to academic instruction.
Peer mentoring can also encompass areas of social need
exhibited by students.