Fair Trade in Tourism South Africa (FTTSA)
JENNIFER CALDWELL MEMORIAL INTERNSHIP (Office Administration)
Title of the position Office Administration Intern
Location Pretoria, South Africa
Reporting to to be advised
Remuneration (Stipend) R5,047.66 per month (gross)
(Note remuneration/stipend is R4,795.28 during 3 month probation period)
Duration 12 month fixed term contract starting in May 2010 (start date negotiable)
Jennifer Caldwell was an American citizen who interned at FTTSA during 2008-09. Jennifer was strongly
committed to social and environmental justice and touched the lives of many South Africans before dying
tragically in a road accident on 14 September 2009. To honour her memory, FTTSA provides an annual
internship to a black South African citizen who:
• Is less than 26 years old;
• Has completed a tertiary qualification from a South African institution with at least a 65% average
for major subjects; and
• Has less than one continuous year of work experience.
During 2010-2011 the Jennifer Caldwell Memorial internship will primarily focus on OFFICE
ADMINISTRATION. The incumbent will be actively involved in the day to day operations of FTTSA – a
small but growing non profit organization (NGO) with a fluctuating staff complement of 10-12 people. The
intern will work closely with FTTSA support staff and will gain valuable practical experience in all areas of
office management as well as some aspects of project management, including:
• Reception (receiving visitors, answering the phone, taking messages and fielding general enquiries);
• Scheduling of meetings and telephone conferences including minuting of weekly staff meetings;
• Procurement and inventory control (securing quotations, ordering supplies, controlling stock);
• Personnel administration (manage leave register, distribute payslips, maintain personnel files);
• Planning and executing workshops and similar events involving external stakeholders
(invitations/RSVPs, booking venue, catering, travel, disseminating materials, report writing);
• Managing travel arrangements and related administration;
• Contributing to FTTSA communications (monthly e-newsletter, website, dissemination of brochures,
annual reports and other collateral);
• Participating in staff meetings and internal processes as required;
• Ensuring that office equipment and infrastructure is in good working order and liaise with service
providers as required;
• Maintaining systems to coordinate the use of office infrastructure e.g. meeting rooms, parking bays,
storage areas, brochure racks, reception area etc;
• Coordinating banking, collection of post, postal and courier services;
• Coordinating company waste recycling activities; and
• Providing administrative support to technical staff as required.
• Any other duties pertaining to office administration or the above mentioned duties as required.
Minimum qualifications for the internship:
• Relevant tertiary qualification (minimum 65% average in major subjects)
• Computer literacy in Microsoft software applications
• Ability to use the Internet for business purposes
• Ability to communicate in English
In addition, the successful candidate will be able to:
Manage many tasks simultaneously.
Work well with other people.
Occasionally work beyond normal office hours
Excellent organizational skills
Good time-management skills
Good telephone skills
Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Minimum typing speed 60 wpm
The successful candidate must identify with the vision, mission and values of FTTSA.
Interested candidates should submit the following information to FTTSA by 16h00 on 05 May 2010.
• Covering letter
• Curriculum Vitae
• Names and contact details of at least two references
• Short essay (up to 1000 words, in English) on one of the following topics:
1. Will the FIFA World Cup benefit your community?
2. What is “irresponsible” tourism?
3. How can businesses better contribute to poverty reduction in South Africa?
The selection process will be as follows:
05 May (16h00) Deadline for receipt of applications by FTTSA
07 May Shortlisting of applications completed by FTTSA – shortlisted candidates will be
contacted telephonically to confirm certain information and to schedule an interview
Week of 10 May Interview panel (FTTSA offices in Pretoria)
17 May Letter of appointment to successful candidate
21 May FTTSA has notified unsuccessful candidates of outcome
Applications should be directed to Netsai Sibanda:
By fax 012 342 2945.
By hand: 1270 Church Street, #34A, Colbyn, Pretoria