Tripping Hazards: Where Do Patrons Stumble on our Website?
Where Do Patrons Stumble
on our Website?
Using Web Analytics for Site Improvement
Margot Hanson, California Maritime Academy
Annis Lee Adams, Golden Gate University
Mon. Oct. 28, 2013
Problem: Patrons Tripping
● New university website w/out usability
● Anecdotal evidence suggested that the
library website was confusing
● Where do our
stuck on our
● What are they
Solution: Use data to clear the path
Analyzed 4 data sources to improve the user experience of the library website.
Feb 11- Dist
Feb 27- Patr
March - Imp
Google Analytics Pageviews
Sept 24, 2012 - Feb 25, 2013
● What would you
expect to find in
We found out:
● Titles & content
Looking into the Future
Analytics analysis after changes
● You don’t need mountains of data to make
● You can start seeing patterns after asking
only a few people questions about your site.
● It’s an iterative process--you can make
changes, and then make some more!
● Street sweeper image via flickr user
● Crystal Ball image via flickr user bitterjug: