Chapter 1 - IT Essentials - PC Hardware & Software1. Which two characteristics are determined by the chip set on a motherboard? (Choose two) Maximum amount of memory that can be installed. Type of connectors that will be on the motherboard.2. Which two activities are normally controlled by the Northbridge part of the chip set? (Choosetwo) Access to the RAM. Access to the video card.3. Which CPU architecture uses a small set of instructions that are designed to be executed rapidly? RISC4. Which type of memory is unable to have the contents modified? ROM5. Which type of memory is primarily used as cache memory? SRAM6. Which three devices are considered output devices? (Choose three) Headphones Monitor Printer7. Which type of ROM can be reprogrammed with software while it is still physically installed inthe computer? EEPROM8. Refer to the exhibit. Which type of cable is shown in the graphic? Serial9. Which important feature is offered by the USB standard? It can supply power from the computer to devices.10. What are the two connector types for the 1394a interface? ((Choose two) 4-pin 6-pin11. Refer to the exhibit. What is the maximum length of the cable presented in the graphic, which iscommonly used for connecting a computer to a printer? 15 ft (4.5m)12. Which type of computer resources are direct lines to the processor used by computercomponents to request information from the CPU? IRQs13. Which two devices are considered input devices? (Choose two) Biometric authentication device Digital camera14. A technician needs to back up 4 GB of data using a single storage medium. Which medium canhold the entire 4 GB on the single disc? DVD+/-R
15. Which two general precautions should be followed when using hand tools? (Choose two) Use tools that are the right size and right type. Keep cutting tools sharp and in a good condition.16. A technician has been to ask to install memory that detects multiple bit errors and correctssingle bit errors in memory. Which type of memory should be installed dif the motherboardsupports these features? ECC17. Which component would be located inside the computer case? RAM18. Which two characteristics of a motherboard can be determined by the form factor? (Choosetwo) Size Shape19. PATA data cables are available in two different types. The types are distinguished by thenumber of conductors. Which to types are available? (Choose two) 40 8020. How many conductors are found in a SATA data cable? 721. Which component is responsible for performing all of the arithmetic and logical operationswithin a computer? Processor22. Which two categories are used to classify CPU architecture? (Choose two) CISC RISC23. A technician is helping a customer compare two hard drives. Which unit of measurement isused for the hard drive speed? Revolutions per minute24. Which two form factors are commonly used to build a new computer? (Choose two.) BTX ATX25. Which three system resources are commonly used for communication between the CPU ormemory and other components in the computer? (Choose three.) IRQ DMA I/O address
Chapter 2 - IT Essentials - PC Hardware & Software1. Which three computers components contains hazardous materials and require special handlingfor disposals? (Choose three) Batteries Monitor Printer toner cartridges2. Which step could be performed first when servicing computer equipment? Turn off and remove the power source3. A technician wants to limit the chances of ESD affecting his workspace. Which three precautionsshould be taken? (Choose three) Ensure antistatic mats are on the workbench and floor Keep all components in antistatic bags Wear an antistatic wrist strap4. Which two tools can help protect against ESD? (Choose two) Antistatic wrist strap Antistatic mat5. A technician accidentally spills a cleaning solution on the floor of the workshop. Where would thetechnician find instructions on how to properly clean up and dispose of the product? The material safely data sheet6. The performance of a computer is reduced after it has been using the Internet. Which three toolscould be run to improve the performance of the computer? (Choose three) Spyware Remove Defrag Disk clean up7. Which tool in Window XP gives a technician access to initialize disks and create partition? Disk managements8. Which tool should be used if a user needs to optimize space on a hard drive? Defrag9. Which two type of tools can help protect a computer from malicious attacks? (Choose two) Anti-virus software Spyware removes10. What is the proper way to dispose of outdated CRTs? All of the components should be disposed of compliances with local environmentalregulations11. Which condition refers to a reduced voltage level of AC power that last for a period of time? Brownout12. What is recommended to remove dust from inside a computer case? Can of compressed air13. Which three rules increase the level of password strength? (Choose three) Passwords should be a combination of letters and numbers Passwords should be change by the user after specific periods of time Passwords expiration and lockout policies should be clearly be fined14. Refer to the exhibit which type of tool is presented in the graphic? Phillips head screw driver
15. Which window XP command line utility scans the critical files of the operating system andreplaces any files that have been corrupted? System file checker16. Which precaution should be taken when working around electronic devices? Avoid using magnetize tools17. A technician has a room of computers which are running very hot. The technician discoversthat the heat sinks in the computers are very dusty. What should the technician use to clean thehead sinks? Compressed air18. Which condition refers to a sudden increase in voltage, which is usually caused by lightning? Spike19. Refer to the exhibit. Which type of tool is shown in the graphic? digital multimeter Chapter 3 - IT Essentials - PC Hardware & Software1 Which port is typically used for external wireless NICs? USB.2. Which action is recommended to prevent the motherboard from contacting the metal base of thecase? Use standoffs to keep the motherboard above the metal base.3. A technician is assembling a new computer. Which two components are often easier to installbefore mounting the motherboard in the case? (Choose two.) CPU memory4. Which solution should be used to clean a CPU and a heat sink? isopropyl alcohol5. When building a computer, which two components are normally installed in 3.5-inch drive bays?(Choose two.) Hard drive floppy drive6. How many pins are in a SATA data cable connector? 77. A technician is troubleshooting a computer that has a malfunctioning floppy drive. Thetechnician observes that the floppy drive light remains lit constantly. How should the technicianattempt to repair the problem? Connect the data cable making sure that the colored stripe on the cable is aligned with pin 1 on the drive and the motherboard.8. What is a convenient way that a technician can tell whether a ribbon cable is for an IDE harddrive or a floppy drive? The floppy cable has a twist in the cable.9 A technician is installing a new power supply in a computer. Which type of power connectorshould be used to connect to a floppy drive? Berg
10. A field technician has been asked to install a wireless 802.11g NIC in a computer, but is unsureabout the expansion slots available. Which two types of wireless NICs should the technician haveavailable? (Choose two.) PCIe PCI12. Which additional 4-pin or 6-pin power connector is required by some motherboards? AUX13. A technician is installing a new CPU in a ZIF socket on a motherboard. What is the primaryway of securing the CPU in place? load lever14. Which type of drive is installed in a 5.25-inch bay? optical drive15. After a technician has assembled a new computer, it is necessary to configure the BIOS. Atwhich point must a key be pressed to start the BIOS setup program? during the POST16. Refer to the exhibit. Which type of hard drive uses the power connector shown? SATA17. Which internal component of a computer uses a 3-pin power connector? fan18. What is the most reliable way for users to buy the correct RAM to upgrade a computer? Check the motherboard manual or manufacturers website.19. Refer to the exhibit. Which type of port is shown? USB20. A technician is installing a new power supply in a computer. Which type of power connectorshould be used to connect to a PATA hard drive? Molex21. A technician has just finished assembling a new computer. When the computer is powered upfor the first time, the POST discovers a problem. How does the POST indicate the error? It issues a number of short beeps.
Chapter 5 - IT Essentials - PC Hardware & Software1. When booting the Windows XP operating. Which file will be read to find the path to the bootpartition? BOOT.INI2. A technician needs to upgrade the file system on a Windows XP computer from FAT32 to NTFS.Which course of action should be taken to upgrade the file system to NTFS? Run the Microsoft Convert utility3. A technician is attempting to create multiple partitions on a hard dick. This will allow for storingthe operating system and data files on separate partition. What is the maximum number of primarypartition per hard drive that is supported by Windows XP? 44. A technician ABC reports that unauthorized communication from outside the network hascaused serious problem in the finance department. Which software tool will held prevent thissituation from occurring again in the future? Firewall5. A technician thinks that the file system on a computer has a problem because Windows XP isreporting data integrity issues. Which Window XP utility will check the file system errors? Chkdsk6. A user installs a new sound card driver in a computer that is working properly. After installingthe driver for the new sound card the computer fails to boot. Which quick fix can the userimplement to return to the preview working state? Boot to last known good configuration7. Which technology was developed to simply the installation of new hardware? PnP8. As a user attempts to boot the computer, the message “NTLDR is to missing “ is observe on thescreen, What will result from this situation? The operating system will fail to load9. A technician has many new computers to set up. The technician completely configures onemaster computer and makes an image of the hard drive. This image is then installed on the othercomputers. What is this disk called? Disk cloning10. Which set of related files store all the setting of a Windows XP installation? Registry11. A technician needs to install Windows XP on a new computer. The hard drive needs twopartitions. At which point in the Windows XP installation process should be technician partitionthe hard drive? The technician will be able to create the partitions at the start of the installation process12. While performing preventive maintenance a technician notices that the operating system ismissing upgrades, how can the technician enable automatic updates? Run the automatic updates utility from the control panel13. Which set of guidelines is used to ensure that programmer develop application that arecompatible with an operating system API14. Refer to the exhibit. Which file is flagged for backup? File 2.txt
15. After Windows XP has been installed, which program would a technician use to select theprograms that will run at startup? Msconfig16. A user reports that a Windows XP system is unable to boot properly. How can the technicianadvices the user to boot into safe mode? Reboot the system press and hold F8 until a menu is displayed and then select safe mode17. Which utility, when run at regular internals is the most effective at protecting user data shouldthere be a system failure? Backup18. In which two situations should a technician create restore point? (Choose two) Before an operating system update Before installing a new device driver19. A user in a large manufacturing company uses a PC that is connected to the company network.Where should the user look to find a server attached to the network? My network places20. Once minimum hardware requirements are satisfied, where should a technician look todetermine if the computer hardware has been tested with Windows XP? The Windows XP hardware compatibility list21. Refer to the exhibit. Which type of device uses to connector shown in the graphic? DVD driver22. A technician needs to upgrade the operating system on a computer from Windows 2000Professional to Windows XP Professional. When the technician inserts the XP disc in the computer,the setup wizard fails to start. Which command can be used to start the upgrade? winnt3223. A technician has finished installing Windows XP. What should the technician do to verify thatall hardware has been installed correct? Use the device manager utility to ensure that all the devices are operational.24. A technician has a computer that is unable to boot Windows XP properly. The technician hasdecided that it is necessary to attend repair of XP. Which utility will be run if the technician selectsRepair XP from the XP boot disk? Recovery Console Chapter 6 - IT Essentials - PC Hardware & Software1. What is the different between a docking station and a port replication? A docking station may have PCI slots for expansion card and speakers2. Which display technology is most commonly found in modern laptop computers? LCD3. Which task must be completed first for a technician to be able to configure power managementslates using Windows XP? ACPI power management mode must be enabled in the BIOS before Windows XP can be usedto configure power management.4. Which two laptop ports are used primarily for communication and network connectivity?(Choose two) Ethernet Modem5. Which three components commonly connect to USB or FireWire ports? Camera
Printer Scanner6. Which type of power connector is used to connect devices such as optical devices and harddrives? Molex7. Refer to the exhibit. What is the correct order of steps to remove a laptop battery? 2, 3, 4, 18. What is the benefit of using CPU throttling in laptops? It reduces CPU power consumption and heat production9. Which two characteristics make laptops a better choice than desktop computer? (Choose two) Mobility. Size10. Which type of interface do currently laptops use to achieve similar expansion capabilities asdesktops? PC ExpressCard11. Refer to the exhibit. Which two form factors are supported by the devices shown in thegraphic? (Choose two) 34-pin 54-pin12. Which name is given to the collection of settings control the power setting of a laptop? Power schemes13. Which two devices are commonly hot-swappable on laptops? (Choose two) PC Card USB Drive14. Which generation of cell-phone standards was the first to deal with how to send and receivestext photographs and video? Third15. Which type of questions would a technician initially ask to gather information to help solve theproblem? Open16. Fans that are used or cool a system are commonly placed on which two components? (Choosetwo) Video Card CPU17. Where can a technician change the power schemes on a laptop running Windows XP? Select power options from within the control panel18. Which two devices can be individually configured within Windows XP to power off after laptophas been for a given period of time? (Choose two) Disk drive Monitor19. Which internal laptop component may be designed as hot-swappable device? Optical drive
20. Once a technician understands a customer complaint, it is common to ask close-endedquestions. Which question is a close-ended one? Is this the first time the error occurred?21. What is the proper way to clean optical drives? Use a cleaning disc for optical drives22. Which two actions should be performed to clean the surface of CDs and DVD and DVDs?(Choose two) Use a lint-free cotton cloth Wipe the disc from the center outward23. What is the major difference between desktop and laptop motherboards? Desktop motherboards typically have a standard form factor and are interchangeable whilelaptop motherboards are proprietary.24. Which three components are interchangeable between desktop and laptop computers?(Choose three.) Printer Scanner USB flash drive25. What is meant by a laptop device being hot-swappable? The laptop does not need to be powered off to install or remove the device.26. A user has connected a digital projector to the external monitor port on a laptop computer, butthe projector indicates that there is no RGB signal. What should the user try first to resolve theproblem? Press the function key that will redirect the video output to the external monitor.
Chapter 701- Which technology is used by laser printers? Electrophotographic02- A customer is experiencing repeated paper jams on a laser printer. Which quick solution might correct this problem? Replace the paper in the input tray with new paper.03- What is typical of a network printer installation? the use of Ethernet or wireless04- Which step of the laser printing process involves scanning the photosensitive drum with a laser? writing05- Instead of the document that was expected, a printer is printing unusual characters. What should be the next steps insolving this printer problem? Send the print job again. If that fails to work, turn the printer off and back on, then resend the print job. If the problemstill exists, reinstall or upgrade the print driver.06- What are two advantages of using impact printers? (Choose two.) carbon-copy printing ability, inexpensive consumables07- What laser printer component could cause streaking? Drum08- Which printing technology uses the vibration of a crystal to control the flow of ink onto the paper to produce an image? Piezoelectric09- Which unit is commonly used to measure the print quality of an inkjet printer? DPI10- What is a common disadvantage of inkjet printers? The nozzles can get obstructed.11- What is an advantage of using a solid-ink printer instead of an inkjet printer? It produces vivid color prints.12- Which type of printer is commonly used in stores to produce cash register receipts? Thermal13- Which software, embedded in a printer, controls how the printer operates and can be upgraded? Firmware14- Which software converts scanned pages into text? Optical Character Recognition15- Which three functions are commonly included in the all-in-one devices? (Choose three.) Fax, printer, scanner16- What is the maximum number of devices that can be connected to a single FireWire interface? 6317- What is the best source for a Windows-compatible scanner driver? website for scanner manufacturer18- Which standard governs the use of parallel printer ports? IEEE 128419- Which Windows XP command sends a file named example.txt to the default printer? print example.txt
20- Which two names refer to the IEEE 1394 standard? (Choose two.) FireWire, i. Link Chapter 801- Which utility can be used to determine end-to-end connectivity between source and destination? Ping02- Which procedure is normally performed when connecting a computer to an Ethernet network for the first time? Attach a cable that has an RJ-45 connector.03- Which three factors are reasons to choose a client/server model for a network instead of peer-to-peer? (Choose three.) The company network requires secure access to confidential information., The users need a central database to store inventory and sales information. The data gathered by the employees is critical and should be backed up on a regular basis.04- Which protocol lacks support for encryption and can be initiated from a computer command prompt? Telnet05- Which protocol is used to automatically configure network devices? DHCP06- When purchasing Cisco components for a network installation, what are three warning signs that the equipment may becounterfeit? (Choose three.) The price is much less than expected. The equipment appears to be performing at a substandard level. The packaging appears to be substandard compared to the packaging of other Cisco purchases.07- Which two characteristics describe Ethernet technology? (Choose two.) supported by IEEE 802.3 standards, uses a bus logical topology08- Which Cisco team can be contacted to help when Cisco equipment is suspected to be counterfeit? Cisco Brand Protection Team09- Which layer of the OSI model is primarily concerned with accessing the physical media and physical addressing? Data Link10- Which three protocols are associated with e-mail? (Choose three.) IMAP, POP3, SMTP11- What is the maximum range a data signal can travel through a 1000BASE-T network segment? 328 ft (100 m)12- What is one difference between a network domain and a workgroup? A domain provides centralized control.13- Which term describes the process of adding headers to data as it moves through the layers of the OSI model? Encapsulation14- A student brings a laptop to a school that has wireless access. The laptop is not connecting to the school network. What isthe first thing that the student should check? the available wireless networks within range15- Which device enables computers to be attached to a network without segmenting the network? Hub16- Which broadband technology would be recommended for a business that requires workers to access the Internet whilevisiting customers at many different locations? Cellular
17- Which type of media is appropriate to use for LAN connectivity in an electrically noisy industrial environment? fiber-optic18- Which software must be installed and working correctly on a computer to successfully enable a VPN connection to aremote site? VPN client19- Which Windows XP command displays the route taken by packets crossing an IP network? Tracert20- A company is investigating the use of an ISDN service to act as backup for the ASDL service they use to communicate withbranch offices. They discover that the ISDN BRI service uses two 64 kb/s B channels. Which function do the B channelsperform? carry the data stream21- Which digital technology provides an upstream speed that is typically less than the downstream speed? ADSL