• Connects to all the major
• A convenient airliner for the low
• Attractive pricing.
• Airport network & market share.
• Unit cost per passenger.
• Reserve pricing strategy.
• Encouraging internet
• Quick turn around flights.
• Highly distinctive branding.
• Feature on television airline
•Website painted on the aircraft.
•Bright orange color.
• Catchy slogan:
“Come on, lets fly!”
2. Compared to Ryanair and British Airways, where
would you place easyJet in terms of Porter’s generic
Is this sustainable?
• Differentiation strategy:
Target customer segment is not price sensitive,
Market is competitive,
Consumers have specific needs which are under served
The firm has unique solutions to satisfy these needs which
are difficult to copy.
It is considered to be a genuine strategy.
• Cost leadership strategy:
It involves the firm wining the price sensitive market share.
It has the lowest price available for the consumer.
It operates at a lower cost as compared to its rivals and yet
It is not a competitive strategy as the customer doesn’t
perceive it, unless it leads to lower prices.
As the table above suggests, easyJet can be placed above
British Airways and Ryanair in terms of Porter’s generic strategy
considering the fact that the target customers belong to the
• easyJet has not compromised in any of its services offered to its
• Reduced airfares to be competitive in low cost airline segment.
• No compromise in passenger safety as in the case of Ryanair
which ran outdated 20 year old aircrafts.
• Increased market share by buying other low cost airlines
• Bought accessibility to new routes and landing rights at
3. What is the underlying strategy behind all of Stelios’
‘easy’ ventures? Can this strategy be replicated in any
market? What is required for it to work?
EASY! IT CAN BE REPLICATED!
• easyJet : one of the first “low cost” airliners in the United
• easyCar : a car and van rental business.
• easyEverything : a chain of internet cafes and cinemas.
• easyValue : which provides impartial comparisons for online
“Please fasten your seatbelts, we are about to take off!”
- Thank you -