Background, Other methods & Our
Current state of Western Classical (&
other) Music Education in India
Music International Method
1. Traditional Method of Learning.
Notes. Scales. Pieces. Aural Training. Examinations.
2. Suzuki Method of Learning.
Parents are involved. Environment & eco-system of music
is created. Great classical musi as a foundation.
3. Kodaly Method of Learning.
Start early. Everyone can learn. Stress on singing & dance.
Tonic solfa. Known pieces.
Combines the 3 and more …
A. Traditional Method(s)
• The British
Classrooms. Books. Syllabus. Curriculum.
Large Print. Colourful. Simpler books.
Grades. Levels. Graduation. Post-Grad. Doctorate
Assessment & Examinations
• India (and many others)
– Guru – Sishya – Gurukul.
– Greek. Artistotle. Lyceum.
– Passed on from Father to Son over Generations.
B. Suzuki Method
• Start at a young age.
• Listening and playing by ear is more important
earlier than reading music.
• Smaller Instruments.
• Parents are involved. (Even Present)
• Focus on Violin.
• Limited Extension to other instruments.
C. Kodaly Method
• Music is what completes a person.
• Start them as young as possible.
• Use any and all natural means. Local & Folk music.
The use of known pieces.
• Fun. Percussion. Objects around you. Rhythm.
• The Home Learning Experience is important.
• The importance of singing.
• Sequential process of Learning.
– Aural. Oral. Kinesthetic.
– Written. Pictorial. Abstract.
– Read. Recognized.
D. Orff Method
Instruments appropriate to small children.
Use of Orff Instruments.
Combine Rhythm, Melody & Harmony.
E. Dalcroze & VAK Method(s)
– The use of dance, movement, mind & body to teach
– Eurhythmics to teach musical concepts.
– Effective with any age group, especially if they start at a
– Can be use for instrument learning.
– Visual : Aural : Kinesthetic preference and balance in
– Communications Research : 7% words, 55% BodyLanguage AND 38% Tonality.
F. Edwin Gordon - Audiation
• Types of Audiation
listening to music (think, write)
reading music (think, write, perform)
writing music in dictation
recalling music from a performance (think, write, perform)
writing music from recall
creating or improvising music (think, write, perform)
writing music as it is created or improvised
• Demonstrate the following …
Inner recall of the last measure or phrase.
Sing what they have played.
Play a variation of the original melody.
Play the melody in a different key.
Play with different tonality and alternate fingering
Demonstrate with body movements the phrases of the melody
G. Instrument Specific Methods
Violin – Neil Mackay or Suzuki Method
Simandl – Double Bass
Guitar – Carcassi
Recorder – Trapp Family Method
Piano – Wrights or Smallwood
Flute – Taffanel & Gaubert
Clarinet – Otto Langley
H. The IB (or IGCSE) Syllabus
1. Enjoy lifelong engagement with the arts
2. Become informed, reflective and critical
practitioners in the arts
3. Understand the dynamic and changing nature
of the arts
4. Explore and value the diversity of the arts
across time, place and cultures
5. Express ideas with confidence and
6. Develop perceptual and analytical skills.
I. Psychology based …
Howard Gardener Model
The G.S.A. Model (for Music)
Robert Sternberg Model
The IMPORTANCE of Listening
• Selective Listening.
• Effective Trying.
• Genuine Hearing.
Hearing --> Background --> Listening
***J. The myMI Method
1. Any age is ok. Start young. Have Fun.
2. Singing. Percussion. As important as an instrument.
3. ‘Genre-choice’ should fit your ‘home’, ‘culture’, ‘lifestyle’ …
however … must lead to Western Classical Music.
4. EXPOSURE. Music Appreciation; Music Education; Know-how
Techniques to Classical Music across the World and Ages.
5. Borrowing from the Dalcroze Method. Body / Rhythm / Dance
and Eurhythmics way of learning Music
6. More than one Instrument. ONE accompaniment and ONE air.
7. Peer & Group Learning. Stimuli. Stay motivated. You compete
and learn more effectively from peers – even teaching others.
8. Our Golf-handicap-like system allows musicians of any level and
therefore age, ability & experience to play with others. The MI
9. Internet + Digital Media + Social Networking + Learn and Play
music in a 24x7x365 broadband. It’s a lifestyle choice.
Unique to myMI Method(s)
• Online Annual Subscription
– Contact/Classes Support. More than 1 hour a week.
– Comprehensive Voice, Vocal & Singing Training.
– Personalization. Learning Diary.
• Practice Methods
– Accompaniment for Air - Voice or Instrument.
– Air for Accompaniment.
• Recorder (or other) Ensemble Method
– Play by ear support with Sheet Music Notation.
• Children’s Learning Methods
– Song Learner : Orff, Rhythm & Percussion : Recorder : Voice.
– Song Ideas : Creative Ideas : Innovation : Variety of syllabus : Other
• Sheet Music
– Western Classical Music Transcriptions for INDIA
• Writing about Music; is like Dancing about
o Theory without Practice is Sterile;
o Practice without Theory is Blind;
• The whole and only purpose of Music
Education is to know when the other person is
If Syllabus (Assessment & Certification
• ABRSM (Grade 8)
– Practical and/or Theory. (30+30+30 : 21+21+18)
– Grade 8 and more
• Trinity Guildhall / London School of Music
• IGCSE (Higher)
• IB (SL or HL)
– Musical Links
– Solo Performing
– Group Performing
By Age 18
Or 25 in India
Or 5 years from Start
“Specialist” or “Deep Generalist”
SL x 3
Annual per-year Lesson Plans 5 + 5
HL x 4
Music Perception & Analysis
- Study of Prescribed Work
- Study of Music Genre & Styles
- Musical Investigation
Option A : Solo Performance
Performance Preparation x 2 per year
Option B : Group Performance
Performance Preparation x 2 per year
Option C : Composition
x 3 per year
The WHOLE Music Department
SL & HL
Pop. / Popular
Sight Reading – Teaching to Fish
Give a man a fish
and you feed him for
Teach a man to fish
and you feed him for
You can be taught
a song; 1 at a time
You can learn to
all the songs you
want all your life.
The world(s) of a Musician
Play by Ear
Most musicians your know.
You may know a few.
Music available … Play+Learn
400+ years of
• Sacred Music
• Dance : Forms, Ballet, Waltz etc.
Play by Ear
Sing by Ear
From France, Italy, Germany,
British Isles, Columbia,
Spain, Venezuela, Russia,
Learn other Instruments
Piano, Violin, Classical Guitar, Flute,
Music Department : Solution(s)
• The ‘BACKBONE’ is a real-time, online,
24x7x365 Annual Subscription of reasonable,
• Teaching Resources.
• Self-Learning Adult-Education Resources.
• Student & Children Support Resources.
• Not just 2 periods a week - ACCESS from
School. Home. On-holidays. More playing will
result in better students.
7. Bass (all types)
100’s of 1000’s
IB School Music Head
ABRSM P6/T6 + Certified
School Band & Music
myMI 3-chord Trainer
MI Lead-Sheet Jazz FB Trainer
- Big Band
- Marching / School
Self-Service. Self-Learning. Reference.
Teacher, Teaching Aids & Resources.
Group Playing (with Projection)
Minus One (-1) Tracks
Air Tracks for Accompaniment Learning. 3-chord etc.
Voice & Instruments
IB Syllabus Trained
ABRMS 6P, 6T & Certified Trainers
MI 3-Chord Trainers
Blues, Jazz, Realbook, Fakebook Trainers.
School Music & Band Teachers
– Own personal use. Family. All in a household.
– Private Teacher. Typically 6 to 20 students.
C. Institution (Group or Personal)
– Schools. Colleges. Music Schools. 2 to 10 teachers; 100 to 5000
students or more.
– Multiple locations. Multiple towns etc.
– Individual Franchise. Typical 20 students at a time.
– Partnership. Private Limited or other Franchise. Typical 100+
– Double-Branding. Sponsored. Any other.
Individual-Personal Benefits (A)
Save ‘pots’ of money.
Get books, methods I don’t get in Bookstores NOR on-line.
Learn top-line play. I have an Accompanist. 24 x 7 x 365
Tune-player. Practice Accompaniment. Song Learner.
Minus-one. -1. Karaoke. (It’s all the same ... I have it all).
Develop by-ear music playing.
Metronome. Tuner. Drum tracks and a variety of Virtual Tools.
Fresh & Relevant. I constantly get NEW sheet-music.
Improve my Sight-Reading and my Sight-Singing.
NOT JUST one class per-week NOR limited to just one hour.
Listening guidance. Music in your Lifestyle. Constant Stimulus to
Motivate me. Practice makes perfect.
12. Multi-faceted - Music is an Art-form - one of the Arts.
13. Structured Syllabus. Personal Syllabus. Personalised for me. myMI.
14. Comprehensive resource(s) for Singing & Voice Training.
Institutional & Teacher Benefits (B)
1. Single-point, single-source of ALL music related
information, tools & resources.
2. Syllabus. Lesson Plans. Lists. Songs. Notes. Ideas.
3. Teacher & Student(s) on the same Page. (literally).
Projection to a Class of 30-500. Read one-page sheet-music
4. Other Instrument resources. (20+ instruments)
5. Piano / Organ / minus-one / Karaoke accompaniment
available for the Syllabus.
6. Time-multiplier. Allows student-self learning. In-class. Athome. On-holidays.
Resources & more resources
• Currently available ALL-in-one ONLINE
Subscription for self-service STUDENT.
• Teacher has access to all the above + Personalised
• Off-line HUGE library of music CD’s, opera,
• OPEN SOURCE++ repository of sheet-music.
• Custom : Arrangement, transcriptions on request.
• Instrument Solutions : Buy. Repair. Consumables.
Maintenance. Loans. Lease. Hire-purchase etc.
Commercial viability & Grass roots
Development of music
1-to-1 vs MASS Music Education
• The success of the BRITISH education is the
classroom. Syllabus. Leveling. Structure.
Grades and eventual standards that allow
MASS education – resulting in lower costs &
• The failure of western classical music in India
is NOT doing this; but using a 1-to-1; gurusishya concept even for Trinity & ABRSM;
making money for them at the cost of Music
Education for the Student Consumer in India
Economics of Group LEARNING
Not just 30 with 6+ Teachers.
Immediate Target of 120
• Current & not-viable
– 30-50 students paying Rs. 500/- per hour = monthly
inflow of 100,000/- per month. You can’t run a
Quality Music Department with that.
• Potential & viable
– Assuming 1000+ school; get 300 music-students to
pay for QUALITY music classes at Rs. 2,000/- per
month = Rs. 6,00,000/-.
Learning = Some QUALITY from the music
AGE or Musical Age?
Ages 6 and 7
Ages 8 and 9
Ages 10 to 15
Ages 16 to 21
• Possible Grouping
1 year. 100+ hours
2 years. Regular
5 years. Regular.
5+. Two instruments.
The MI approach
15, 20, 30 years
0 Flying Hours
myMI Song Learner Method
Can Read & Use
Listen to an MP3, Learn it on
Youtube, find a friend.
The e-friend. Learn the Melody,
Tune or Air at http://musint.com
Get and fit the
lyrics, words to
for the song.
Know & Make
The Song Learner Methodology
Sing the Tune
Fit the Lyrics.
Sing the Song
• 12 to 15 songs in each album.
• Album(s) Collection(s)
• Even ONE Album may be a full-course.
• Upgrade(s) new Album(s)
• Based on request(s), needs, trends, online
downloaded and adapted for this Programme. 67
Air & Accompaniment Methods
C1 to C8
Air, Tune or Melody
Riff / Fill-In
The real gap and focus for Music
Current ‘Teacher’ gaps / short-falls …
• Mis-matched Qualifications / Certifications.
• Mis-matched Experience.
• Primarily one-Instrument Certified.
Known problems with Trinity & even ABRSM
Weak in Theory.
Do not play more than ONE instrument.
• Creating Marching bands, Orchestras, Chorus are TOUGH
• Every musician cannot become a Teacher.
– (eg. A salesman cannot promoted to be a manager)
– Motivation. Finances. Incentive. Career-choice.
• Can’t teach
– A syllabus.
– A group. Mass Education.
The Music Teacher(s) Conundrum
1. Minimum acceptable Qualification & Certification.
2. Each Instrument is a specialisation. (There are easily 20+)
3. Mult-faceted Teachers are VERY difficult to come by and
4. Good Performers are mostly NOT good Teachers. A good
Teacher is a good Coach.
5. Teaching skills; student-personalisation; using resources;
communications; creating materials is a life-long, full-time
6. MUST BE good with Children. Like-it.
7. Syllabus adherence. IB. IGCSE-Elective. ABRSM; In-School
8. Teacher(s) Assessment. Feedback. Improvement. Growth.
• Music Practical
– Play an instrument (specialisation) to an adequate
capability. Performance, Recording etc.
– By-ear. Aural. Vocal. Multiple instruments.
• Music Theory
– Education, Certification, Qualification in Music
Theory, Transcriptions, Arrangement. Composing.
– Teaching. Use of aids. Speaking. Writing. Syllabus.
Classroom skills. MIS. Records. Computer skills.
• Business Skills
Quick-fix solutions for previous gaps
• Start teaching, get them certified.
• Mass Teaching Methodology.
• Large amount of “teaching-aids” for nonstrength areas.
• Other Instrument support.
• Syllabus based Class-Period specific, minuteby-minute Lesson Plans.
• LEGAL Sheet-Music. Arrangements.
• Event-day “Players” support.
• Finishing School
– Teaching Skills.
– Use of OUR myMI Teaching Resources.
• Certification & Qualification
– MI. ABRSM. Trinity. IB. University and/or OTHER.
• Music Growth
Assessment & Feedback on current.
Addition Instrument Learning
Wider knowledge. More Listening.
Lectures. Workshops. Seminars
MI Teacher(s) Experience
3. UK, USA, France, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan ..
(Experience in what?)
4. Taught at Lawrence-Lovedale, Hebron, St. Marks
Music Academy, TISB, Baldwins, St. Josephs.
5. Degree in Music.
6. ABRSM Qualified. 100’s of ABRSM & Trinity
7. Total Performance Experience of 100+ years.
1. Keyboard TRACK : Hymns, Classic-Rock, Filmy etc.
2. Guitar TRACK : Rhythm, Lead, Bass : Rock, Jazz etc.
3. Theory TRACK : General, Finishing, Appreciation etc.
4. Classical, Certification. Exams. Teaching
5. Media, theatre, sound engineeering, arts, events.
Careers in The Creative Industry(ies)
9. Games ONLINE
10. Gaming & Apps.
15.Radio & FM
18.Toys & Board Games
Careers in Music
Play an instrument to a certain level of competence.
3 Instrument maker
4 Repair of Instruments
Sing. Specialise in a genre, voice range, language etc.
The best instruments even today are handmade.
Repair of instruments requires enormous expertise.
Tuning a piano or an organ is not for everyone.
Create music for any purpose. Lyrics. Song-writing.
Conduct a group of musicians.
Create words for songs.
Arrange music. Transcribe from one set of instruments to another set of instruments.
Songwriter - Lyricist
10 Music Teacher
11 Music Examiner
Assessment. Examination. Certification. Qualifying the musical ability and talent of People.
12 Music Therapy
Use music to help people with clinical or psychological problems.
13 Event Management
14 Music Direction
Manage Events related to Music.
Planning, Designing, Organising, Conducting, Rehearsing, Performing an Ensemble, Group etc. related to Music.
15 Music Critique
Cover music events and write for TV, Radio, Internet, blogs, Reviews of CD's, iTunes music etc.
16 Compere, DJ
Host. Disc-Jockey. Compere. Introduce Performers Present music and related programmes or events.
Capture live performances for stored later playback.
An informed connoisseur of music
Sound and music for what it is. Recording appreciation.
A whole new generation that includes MP3, iPod, Itunes etc.
90% of video depends on the audio. The music and soundtrack for Video, TV, Film, Documentaries etc.
22 Music Historian
23 Marketing Sales
Music Library. Instrument archive. Curator of Music
The Marketing of Music resulting in Sales. Convert music into revenue generating opportunities
24 Music Legality
Legal issues related to music. Copyright, Intellectual Property Rights related to the Performing Arts; Music Scores, Recordings etc.
25 Music for Dance
Music for Dance. Dancing itself is a specific genre of musical expression and takes years of practice. Early dance, Baroque, Waltz,
Chaconne, Ballet to name a few.
26 Music for Opera
Musc for the Opera and the Integration of music, theatre, recitative, genre, period etc.
27 Sacred Music
Music exclusively for the worship of God, faith and belief using any langauge from Classical, Latin, Italian, German, English to your local
28 Pocket Money
After some achievement and Certification help people around you get involved in Music. Charge them a fee if you must.
Teacher Career Growth Path
• Category A
– Identify. Support. IB SL, HL & IGCSE Music Elective Teacher(s)
• Category B
– Voice / Instrument Specialists. Professional & Career in Music.
– Grade 6 Theory. Grade 6 Practical. ICT and/or Capable of Grade 6+
• Category C
– Less than Grade 5. Professional Career Seeker
– General Music Teaching.
– Adequate. Competent.
• Category D
– Adult 21+ Senior Student. Teacher Trainee. Amateur
– Not Certified / Qualified. Performing Musician
– Adequate Teaching Ability
• Category E
– Music Lab. Assistant
– Supervisory. Adequate Communication Skills.
Professional. Work FOR, WITH and HAVE music professionals.
Clear Individual Job Description. Job Expectations etc.
Teacher Training OR Teacher Learning (Group Methods)
Feedback. Correction action. Learning Diary.
LEARNING & continuously available RESOURCES
MONDAY. MONDAY. MONDAY.
– Mass resources. Projection. Cost-spreads over several.
– Group. Ensemble. Band. Class. Choir. Chorus Learning Methods.
– Assessments. Qualifying. Certifications. Seminars. Workshops.
– 200+ Orchestra and 1000+ Choir / Chorus.
– Group & Ensemble Examinations & Certification.
– MI will manage EVENTS and CALENDARS as a Profit Centre.
– Create own, duets, group or more RECOR. Upload. Sell. Buy. Use. License. Royalt.
– MI will manage the Recordings ONLINE from our website as a Profit Centre.
– Create written originals, arrangements, transcriptions of Classical to Conteporary
– MI will manage the royalty, TRANSCRIPTIONS as a Profit Cenre.
Voice. Theory and MOST Instrument(s).
– Any Instrument, any type.
• Music International
Value for Money. Jobs. Careers.
India Market. Reality. Bollywood.
50% Internal Assessment.
Hierarchy of Music Education