Publishing and Using
Linked Open Data
Richard J. Urban, Ph.D.
School of Library and Information Studies
Florida State University
January 11, 2013
• 9:00-10:45 am Class Session Beyond Linked Data: Reasoning and the
• 10:45 am- 11:00 break
• 11:00-11:45 Class Session: Open Project Studio
• Noon- 1:45 pm Lunch (on your own)
• 1:45-2:30 pm Class Wrap-Up: Linked Open Data for the Humanities:
• 2:30-2:45 pm Break
• 2:45-3:45 pm Show and Tell
• 3:45-4:00 pm Closing Ceremony and Announcements
“An ontology is an explicit specification of a
DERI Using Ontologies http://www.deri.org/fileadmin/documents/DERI-TR-2003-10-29.pdf
• OWL Full
– Allows most kinds of assertions, but not
• OWL Description Logics (OWL DL)
– As expressive as possible why maintaining
– Based in Description Logics
• OWL Lite
– owl:disjointWith, unionOf, and others not allowed.
– Cardinality limited
– Equivalence limited to class identifiers
– Not much easier than OWL DL
A B A B
– A person can have only one spouse.
– hasChild is inverse of hasParent
– Links domains and ranges.
The object of a biologicalMotherOf is a women.
– Chianti, Tuscany and Italy are regions, and Chianti is a
subregion of Tuscany, and Tuscany is a subregion of
Italy, then Chianti is also a subregion of Italy.
– If Jack is married to Jill, then Jill is married to Jack
Two resources are equivalent resources
two resources are different resources