<ul><li>Dolo extends into north-west of the Province of Venice, along the axis determined by the course of the Brenta Canal. </li></ul><ul><li>Naviglio of Brenta is about halfway between Padua and Venice, so that here in the past, was the coach who led the boarding step for the city Venice. The center is located on both banks of the River Brenta Canal. The two separate fractions are found one at the north and one south of its course. </li></ul>
Dolo is the center of the so-called “Città della Riviera del Brenta" because the economy is the heart and craft of the Riviera. Equipped with an old town full of landscape, the town offers to the guests as well as popular fish restaurants, the opportunity to visit many of great villas, old mills and the only ‘squero', or to participate in numerous events are held here regularly.
<ul><li>In the '50s, digging in the areas of Dolo, it was discovered the presence of a Earthsea village and a Roman necropolis, </li></ul><ul><li>but the large quantities of fragments of frescoes, mosaics, amphoras and pottery of high quality make us think of a real settlement . </li></ul><ul><li>The big surprise is in fact after analyzing aerial photographs of the area, confirming the presence or not of a "domus" of Romans, the place where it once ran the famous "Via Annia”. </li></ul>
<ul><li>The present church of Dolo, dedicated to the protection of San Rocco, is the preservation of the place by the awful plague of 1576, was built between 1770 and 1776. It was increased after the title of cathedral. Appears as solidly built house, in perfect harmony with Corinthian capitals and the rest of the Baroque. Recent figures are in the style reminiscent of fresco by Tiepolo. The altar and the figures of angels are assigned to the Torretti. </li></ul>
The construction of the bell of S. Rocco goes back to 1792. The work of “Scuola Veneta”, stylish and balanced architecture, resembles the bell tower of San Marco in Venice, with vertical but more slender. It’s high around 82 meters. The fear on the part of the Venetian Republic that the new bell tower rise above the lagoon is the same to take a position until this happen. A recent renovation has restored the bell tower of Dolo at original splendor, while also improving the quality of some constituent materials.
Signs of the past are the villas of Dolo, largely overlooking the Canal, the continuation of the Grand Canal. The villas of the fifteenth century remains little in Dolo, except the valuable Villa Ferretti Angeli , Villa Velluti and Villa Bon , whose owners were probably the first Foscari.
It was the sixteenth century Villa Velluti at Sambruson, Villa Mioni with the beautiful park of the seventeenth century. Of the seventeenth century to quote Villa Tito .
The “Ex Macello” is a neoclassical building located on the tip of "Isola Bassa" where the two branches of the Brenta meet, in a particularly striking in terms of landscape. The building dates back to the early decades of the seventeenth century. Destined long to where they were butchered and processed meat, is now under management of the common area of Dolo.
The Squero is located in the historic center, was the ancient site or covered stairway where they were repaired and found shelter the boats passing along the Brenta, towed upstream from the banks with the help of horses. It's composed of a roof hut, all supported by ten pillars of brick. Nearbly there must have been related craft activities (construction of oars, forks ect.). Indicative a few meters from Squero “Calle dei Calafati” (The shipwright was the workman employed to proofing the bridge deck, filling the cracks between the cloth tarred hull planks of wood).
"Isola del Maltempo" is the old part of Dolo. Closed by two branches of the Brenta, now known as “Isola Bassa”. Its location and the changes of the Brenta are causing flooding and its subsequent isolation during floods caused by bad weather: this should be reported to the origin of the name.
The Mills were originally fitted with 4 wheels, to which were added 2 wheels on the side of Ca’ Dandolo and 2 on the side of the hollow. In 1593 we further increase the number of wheels, reaching the total number of 12. The Mills of Dolo became the largest economic resource of the Serenissima Republic. Remained in use for centuries the great noble families and then become state property, they must return to their former splendor work of two individuals, who have funded the restoration.